Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 520859 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #3390 on: September 12, 2017, 03:35:45 pm »

Take my money, as usual. Dominions beats out even Arma in hours played / € invested.

Sidenote: Negative PD would be intresting, like the population hates you so much whatever attacks you gets some villagers and dogs to help them.
So Moctezuma lost because he had -100 PD?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3391 on: September 12, 2017, 04:43:22 pm »

Mindless units are also worse at patrolling, right? Isn't it half effectiveness if mindless? Or is it a larger penalty, like for mindless fort defenders?

Ametsala

• Bay Watcher
  • "needs chocolate to get through the working day"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3392 on: September 12, 2017, 05:06:11 pm »

I couldn't find anything in the manual about mindless units being worse at patrolling.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3393 on: September 12, 2017, 06:36:19 pm »

Mindless units are fine for patrolling unless their stats say otherwise (which they often do). E.g., a run-of-the-mill Soulless has precision 4 and AP 6, so even though they have no penalty for being mindless, they still only count as 0.5 "standard" patrollers.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3394 on: September 12, 2017, 06:47:03 pm »

I agree that they could be working toward a more flavorful UI, there'd be some real value in that. But I still think it's good they're updating the program to at least handle TT fonts. Then modders can mod in fonts they like more.

Honestly, I don't mind the UI aesthetically; it's always struck me as kind of pretty in a quietly informative sort of way. If they really wanted to improve it, though, more automation would be amazing. Even something like being able to script commander movement on the strategic map would go a long way toward improving blood slave tedium, and some ability to send commanders to distant provinces through a series of waypoints would make distributing cap-only troops/commanders less of a headache.

Or, more globally, human-readable .2h files would do wonders for a lot of these problems, although you'd probably want to keep being able to convert them to binary for emailing.

I think back even when I started playing Dom 3, I'd already gotten used to games with really flexible UIs. And Dom has always been very retro in this regard. There's a lot of screen swapping going on, for everything. Tooltips are there but they're pretty limited. There's always been more information you wanted cross-referenced than they offer. Like, how much nicer would it be for a mouse interface to right click and have a drop down for actions, instead of the couple options we have now. Dominions' UI has always been functional it's just very......stolid? Utilitarian? Uncomplicated but also unevolved since what feels like the early 90s. I think that's what I've been badly getting at above, is I'm just happy to see some change and some movement forward in the tech. I can only pay $30 to $40 dollars for essentially the same game so many times in a row before I start feeling like I'm being taken advantage of. At least for me this will be the most significant change I've seen out of a new Dominions game. I'd probably pay just for the new battle map.

On that note, any rumors or word on pricing? Dom4 owners getting a discount maybe? I know it came out on Steam 3 years ago and was out on Desura for like 5 months before that. But I feel like I just bought it yesterday.

I was also going to say I'm glad we're getting Dom5 instead of CoE4....but now I see they put up CoE4 about a year ago. So they are still holding to their traditional pattern. :P
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 07:01:05 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3395 on: September 12, 2017, 09:48:29 pm »

I think back even when I started playing Dom 3, I'd already gotten used to games with really flexible UIs. And Dom has always been very retro in this regard. There's a lot of screen swapping going on, for everything. Tooltips are there but they're pretty limited. There's always been more information you wanted cross-referenced than they offer. Like, how much nicer would it be for a mouse interface to right click and have a drop down for actions, instead of the couple options we have now. Dominions' UI has always been functional it's just very......stolid? Utilitarian? Uncomplicated but also unevolved since what feels like the early 90s.
Eh, I prefer it over a lot of more "evolved" UIs. It's functional and things make sense and there's plenty of hotkeys.

I think that's what I've been badly getting at above, is I'm just happy to see some change and some movement forward in the tech. I can only pay $30 to $40 dollars for essentially the same game so many times in a row before I start feeling like I'm being taken advantage of. At least for me this will be the most significant change I've seen out of a new Dominions game. I'd probably pay just for the new battle map.

On that note, any rumors or word on pricing? Dom4 owners getting a discount maybe? I know it came out on Steam 3 years ago and was out on Desura for like 5 months before that. But I feel like I just bought it yesterday.
I mean, considering how long it's been out, I don't think forty bucks for continued development is a terrible deal, and there are pretty sizable changes each time. You're also short a year there, incidentally, we're well into 2017 now.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3396 on: September 13, 2017, 12:57:56 am »

December 5th, 2013. I shaved a little off.

I don't think I've given Illwinter a hard time about it because of the overall awesomeness of the game. But I think it's based on an older philosophy of development when developers selling directly to their customers was more of a thing. And I'm thinking of like Binding of Isaac: Rebirth. If that had been made by Illwinter they wouldn't have cut anyone a discount. And I think it took them a long time to start offering sales on their own website for Dominions. My jimmies aren't super rustled about it, but it'll always set them apart for me from other developers who largely don't get away with shipping literally 95% of the same game every couple of years. Dom 5 at least fits my expectations better because it's getting some much needed visual overhauls.

It reminds me of the adage about physical hobby games like WH40k; they tend to have captive audiences because there's no where else you can get actual Space Marines. Similarly, there's just nothing out there that is a real replacement for Dominions and they know that. So they don't really have an incentive to be generous, they've prospered this long just on the fanbase they have.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 01:14:30 am by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3397 on: September 13, 2017, 01:19:30 am »

I don't think I've given Illwinter a hard time about it because of the overall awesomeness of the game. But I think it's based on an older philosophy of development when developers selling directly to their customers was more of a thing. And I'm thinking of like Binding of Isaac: Rebirth. If that had been made by Illwinter they wouldn't have cut anyone a discount. And I think it took them a long time to start offering sales on their own website for Dominions. My jimmies aren't super rustled about it, but it'll always set them apart for me from other developers who largely don't get away with shipping literally 95% of the same game ever couple of years. Dom 5 at least fits my expectations better because it's getting some much needed visual overhauls.

Actually, part of it is because the devs being the ones to sell the game is new to them. When they had a publisher, that was when there were no sales and the price couldn't be lowered. Now, they go along with what the folks at Steam say is a good idea when it comes to sales. Which is good, because the folks at Steam know their business. The old publisher is also why they used to have DRM that regularly impacted paying customers by accident, incidentally.

Starting with Dominions 2, there have been four iterations from 2002 until the end of 2017. That's an average of five years between iterations, which is not really that frequent; compare it to the AAA shit that comes out with no real changes. Meanwhile, 3 added ages, 4 added thrones and throne victory, 5 adds real-time battles and overhauled blesses, and all three added tons of new nations and content with continued updates along the way far in excess of the norm. This is not a case of a single good game with an exhorbitant price for the full support, like you'd get from Paradox. These iterations are functionally distinct, though remaining within the same franchise, and the fact that Dom 5 is the first one to include engine overhauls in a while doesn't mean that the gameplay and content additions of the past are comparatively devalued. Nor does the fact that sprites (mostly) remain constant over time. The fact that there's loads of updates along the way shouldn't either; getting Xibalba and Therodos and Nazca and Ys and Ragha for free, along with the underground update and underwater update and Zoroastrian update and scripting/event update and AI updates and all the countless bugfix and balance and usability updates, all for free, shouldn't actually devalue the new edition compared to if they had saved all of those up and released them at once in Dom 5. Instead, they should tell you that Dom 5, in addition to the hugely reworked base mechanics, will have this level of support; that the three new nations at launch don't represent only three new nations, but three plus whatever else comes after, and the same principle applies to all the other additions and improvements.

And the really ridiculous part is that compared to all that, what you're focusing on is the visual bits? Really? This isn't just making molehills out of mountains, it's looking at the molehill and going "I may only have been getting mountains in the past, but at least there's this now".

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3398 on: September 13, 2017, 01:32:51 am »

I focus on them because it's been the only thing Dominions has really been missing to me, and visuals are a big part of my immersion even though Dominions looks like it does. (A friend I introduced to it this last weekend said "It's so delightfully shitty looking, I can see why you like it.") I still haven't played 80% of the nations or kinds of pretenders in.....several hundred hours across two games? I haven't played shit tons of MP or even become close to being actually good at the game. Content ain't the game's problem.

I appreciate iteration but I think you're more impressed with it than I am and more ready to pay for it. An engine rework feels like pretty tangible work to me, something that should have been done a long time ago. Reworking fort systems (again) or movement, while appreciated, doesn't blow me away. Thrones are cool but seriously, does an extra feature and some tweaks a full game make?

And more to the point I feel like I've got dead games by Illwinter in my library due to the way they handle releases and what goes in those releases. I'm never going to go back and play Dom 3 and won't play Dom 4 after 5 releases unless there is something seriously and lastingly wrong with it, which there won't be.

Everything carries forward so why not....make a base game, do your content updates and bug fixes (which are standard part of the package deal for any reputable developer, I'm not sure why I'm supposed to applaud that) and actually sell content packs every year or two for $5, $10, $15, whatever seems reasonable. Because from when I started it doesn't actually feel like Dom 3, 4, 5. It feels like Dom 3.3. 3.4. 3.5. It's a very efficient way to sell your game.

Like I said, I'm not actually upset about it. It just gets me every time a release comes around. Illwinter is the only developer in my library aside from Ed McMillen and Cyanide where I feel like I've paid retail price for the essentially the same game multiple times. (Cyanide in particular has caught a ton of shit from people for this.) I didn't give them a pass and didn't buy BB whatever Edition because I didn't feel like ultimately it was worth my time. I'm still buying Dom games. Doesn't mean I give them my wholehearted endorsement for how they do it though.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 01:44:47 am by nenjin »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3399 on: September 13, 2017, 01:41:09 am »

Nor does the fact that sprites (mostly) remain constant over time.

A quibble as someone who spends far too much time looking at Dominions sprites: they haven't. There have been progressive overhauls, reworks, replacements, and additions from the start. Dom4 in particular replaced and/or revamped A TON of the graphics, as well as increasing sprite resolution. Dom3 hurts to look at these days. I would not be surprised if some of the outstanding Dom2/Dom3 graphics disappear with Dom5 as well. I'm not going to hold my breath on all of them going away, but I expect it'll be a lot harder to find old graphics come Dom5. Well, except maybe in Jotunheim. Those haven't changed in forever and show no sign of doing so, though in fairness they probably aged better than most or all of the rest.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #3400 on: September 13, 2017, 11:08:02 am »

So I tried something, just to see how it works, MA Ulm with an awake horned one then spammed war dogs. The war dogs ended up having 15 morale and was quite effective against everything until I ran into a mage who summoned a fire elemental.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3401 on: September 13, 2017, 01:31:35 pm »

I appreciate iteration but I think you're more impressed with it than I am and more ready to pay for it. An engine rework feels like pretty tangible work to me, something that should have been done a long time ago. Reworking fort systems (again) or movement, while appreciated, doesn't blow me away. Thrones are cool but seriously, does an extra feature and some tweaks a full game make?
I mean, "some tweaks" goes from a game where you manage a gem economy into the late game, where all nations end up playing very similarly, and where you must tediously take all provinces into one where nations remain different and where you can rush key locations to end the game prematurely even if you're not the strongest player (see my Marverni AAR, where I was the strongest player but made critical strategic errors regarding force deployment) which simply couldn't happen before. It's true that if we simplify to only the biggest features, it looks like something that could be an expansion pack, but the little changes do add up. Given the time span and the degree of changes, the idea that you're paying more for less with Dominions doesn't really line up with what's going on in the rest of the video game market.

Everything carries forward so why not....make a base game, do your content updates and bug fixes (which are standard part of the package deal for any reputable developer, I'm not sure why I'm supposed to applaud that) and actually sell content packs every year or two for $5, $10, $15, whatever seems reasonable. Because from when I started it doesn't actually feel like Dom 3, 4, 5. It feels like Dom 3.3. 3.4. 3.5. It's a very efficient way to sell your game.
Paying ten five bucks twice a year might appeal to you more than paying forty bucks after four years, but for an incoming (new) player it's the difference between paying $40 for a new game or paying $40+($5t) for the new game, where t is number of expansions released. I mentioned Paradox for a reason; they do it this way. Crusader Kings 2 costs ~$400 for all the content. Dominions 5 costs the price of one game.

Like I said, I'm not actually upset about it. It just gets me every time a release comes around. Illwinter is the only developer in my library aside from Ed McMillen and Cyanide where I feel like I've paid retail price for the essentially the same game multiple times. (Cyanide in particular has caught a ton of shit from people for this.) I didn't give them a pass and didn't buy BB whatever Edition because I didn't feel like ultimately it was worth my time. I'm still buying Dom games. Doesn't mean I give them my wholehearted endorsement for how they do it though.
Man, you think that's something, look at what Spiderweb's been up to with Avernum. On the second remake of the third iteration of a pair of trilogies now. But for something like Dominions, or something like Blood Bowl, where the bulk of the game is in the multiplayer community, it makes a lot of practical sense to release the game as a full release when you update it. Could there be discounts for owners of the previous game? Sure, Steam supports that. Now that owners of the previous game actually are, for the most part, on Steam, Illwinter may decide to do that if their liaison at Valve suggests it. Even if they don't, though, the kind of prices they charge are pretty worthwhile for four years of support. Even if they don't, I don't think it's an unreasonable price for support over the years. Of course, you can definitely quibble with that if you consider that a lot of the support is done by the community (and llamaserver in particular is a volunteer job) but I still find the price to be reasonable considering the size and the niche nature of this operation.

And to further clarify, I'm not saying that I think Illwinter's efforts are flawless or, in every regard, even adequate. Over on the Qt3 forum, Turin posted a list of changes that ought to be made to make the game more accessible, and I categorically agree with that. But insinuating that the game's price and value don't line up is just not consistent with the facts.

Nor does the fact that sprites (mostly) remain constant over time.

A quibble as someone who spends far too much time looking at Dominions sprites: they haven't. There have been progressive overhauls, reworks, replacements, and additions from the start. Dom4 in particular replaced and/or revamped A TON of the graphics, as well as increasing sprite resolution. Dom3 hurts to look at these days. I would not be surprised if some of the outstanding Dom2/Dom3 graphics disappear with Dom5 as well. I'm not going to hold my breath on all of them going away, but I expect it'll be a lot harder to find old graphics come Dom5. Well, except maybe in Jotunheim. Those haven't changed in forever and show no sign of doing so, though in fairness they probably aged better than most or all of the rest.
Well, that's sort of true, but they upgrade is so piecemeal that the changes aren't big and flashy. If resolution was doubled again (not like current computers can't handle it, and it would save work compared against a hypothetical eventual future doubling once all the sprites are updated) and the old ones were updated to that, then that would be a pretty drastic change. As it is, a few updated at a time changes relatively little.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 01:34:48 pm by Cruxador »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3402 on: September 13, 2017, 02:31:43 pm »

Paying ten five bucks twice a year might appeal to you more than paying forty bucks after four years, but for an incoming (new) player it's the difference between paying $40 for a new game or paying $40+($5t) for the new game, where t is number of expansions released.

My approach to this as a player is to avoid most DLC on a new, untested (by me) game until I know I actually like it. If I do like it makes paying for the DLC much easier to justify.

Surprised you didn't mention splitting the playerbase as a consequence of DLC driven development. Because for a game like Dom it would be a big one.

Crusader Kings 2 costs ~$400 for all the content.

Yeah as I was typing that I was thinking of CK2. There's definitely a dark side to constantly expanding the same game but I think there's a balance to be had.

Even if they don't, I don't think it's an unreasonable price for support over the years. Of course, you can definitely quibble with that if you consider that a lot of the support is done by the community (and llamaserver in particular is a volunteer job) but I still find the price to be reasonable considering the size and the niche nature of this operation.

Bottomline for me, if Dominions wasn't as strong a game as it is, I'd have a much bigger problem with it. Also if it was a $59.99 game, which it's not.

And to further clarify, I'm not saying that I think Illwinter's efforts are flawless or, in every regard, even adequate.

No, I get it. For how you play and appreciate Dom my post got you defensive on their behalf, and that's ok. I'm sure you've got problems with Dom I'm wholly unaware of that are more important to you than their release schema.

Avernum

Oh yeah I guess I do own one of those games too. So I guess add that one to the list.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 02:39:41 pm by nenjin »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3403 on: September 13, 2017, 08:18:25 pm »

Surprised you didn't mention splitting the playerbase as a consequence of DLC driven development. Because for a game like Dom it would be a big one.
Eh, mods do that anyway. People that are relatively deep in the meta see a lot of balance problems that don't exist for people who know less about the game, so overhauls are a lot more necessary for some than on others. On top of it, CBM had a lot of "added" stuff that made people wary of it, and a lot of that carried over into the far more conservative balance mods of Dom 4. And then there's all the little mods. But seeing as you can easily swap them in and out to play the right game, it works out. It's not like many folks wouldn't buy the stuff anyway, assuming it didn't get to the same ridiculous level of some certain other companies.

Yeah as I was typing that I was thinking of CK2. There's definitely a dark side to constantly expanding the same game but I think there's a balance to be had.
I mean, if you call the devs getting paid a dark side. It's not even barely applicable to this game since the devs are well employed, and Swedish (thus, strong social safety net) besides.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 08:20:07 pm by Cruxador »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3404 on: September 14, 2017, 03:29:17 am »

When looking at blood research in my recent games I've noticed a lvl 8 B3 spell called 'end' (lower case). It's a single-target, 40+ damage AN unresistable combat spell with no description.
The only mod I'm using is Worthy Heroes.

Was it always there? Mod Inspector doesn't list it. What's going on?
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 236