Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 520432 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #3435 on: September 23, 2017, 10:29:58 am »

So, here's a thought... If you give a copper arm to something like a master smith or a forge lord or something, that means they'd have 3 hands, yeah? So wouldn't you then be able to wield both a dwarven hammer and the hammer of the forgelord for a total fixed cost reduction of -7 or -8 gems?

Y'know, just in case you feel like making more of everything than has ever been made before.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3436 on: September 23, 2017, 02:25:53 pm »

People can usually guess who did it however...

I wish those spells would scale with your magic scales, like if the god of "I have 9 water + ring of water + the booster cape" hits you with a lvl 11 water magic tidal wave, it should hurt more...
Pretty sure some of them do? Have to double check to be sure about anonymous ones (which in complete honesty, I'm not going to do because I don't care nearly enough about the question right now), but there's certainly remote attack spells that scale to some degree with caster power. Usually not much, from what I recall, but some.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3437 on: September 23, 2017, 07:27:03 pm »

Remote attack spells, yes. Anonymous event spells, no.  Events are events and lack (for the most part) any kind of severity range. They do the thing they do, nothing more and nothing less.  Other rituals like flames from afar or whatnot are more directly an attack from the casting mage.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3438 on: September 24, 2017, 05:12:10 pm »

Just when I thought the AI couldn't show me it was more retarded, an astral mage just blinked itself into a retreating army of those heretic independents to die.

sum1won

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3439 on: September 25, 2017, 10:31:26 am »

When looking at blood research in my recent games I've noticed a lvl 8 B3 spell called 'end' (lower case). It's a single-target, 40+ damage AN unresistable combat spell with no description.
The only mod I'm using is Worthy Heroes.

Was it always there? Mod Inspector doesn't list it. What's going on?
This is an ingame bug that causes L4L to be renamed "end" in most modded games.  Some mods have workarounds renaming it Life for Life because of this issue.
So, here's a thought... If you give a copper arm to something like a master smith or a forge lord or something, that means they'd have 3 hands, yeah? So wouldn't you then be able to wield both a dwarven hammer and the hammer of the forgelord for a total fixed cost reduction of -7 or -8 gems?

Y'know, just in case you feel like making more of everything than has ever been made before.
Yep.  And they even play nicely with things like steel forges.  Source:  Once got steel forges in a game as Ulm, and had a dedicated smith with Forge lord and Dwarven Hammer using a copper arm pounding out (items) for virtually nothing.

What version i should have to have Xibalba? I have 4.10 and can't find it anywhere.
Also, is banner of northern star is powerful self-trolling item? It gives your mages + to astral magic during battle, but since you can't say them to use yet unusable spells before...  ::) they will just buff themselves as usual?
Yes, you can.  You just script them, and they will cast during battle if they are now able to.  That said, I'm pretty sure that some of the pirated versions of Illwinter's games were leaked by illwinter with deliberately busted mechanics.  So that might be causing problems for you.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #3440 on: September 25, 2017, 11:46:17 am »

PLEASE.
1. I already get answer.
2. Don't damn say anything about "butchered pirated versions". It doesn't work like that, not in Internet. Last damn pirated game i can remember that they was butchered by pirates and was Fellowship of the Ring and Harry Potter and order of phoenix, both, like, 6 years ago and both on disks. Other ones was first butchered by developers, THEN pirates.
3. My dominions 4 works just damn perfectly, i just forgot how things worked after not playing for a while and asked question. It works PERFECTLY!

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3441 on: September 25, 2017, 02:25:58 pm »

No need to throw a hissy fit.

That said, if you just buy it on Steam (it gets pretty good sales, and x-mas isn't too far away...), you'll never have to worry about it being out of date - and you'll show the developer some support.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3442 on: September 25, 2017, 03:58:23 pm »

Also, Illwinter definitely has engaged in complex DRM sabotage shenanigans in the past. Their traditional MO was making parts of the UI eventually stop working for pirated keys. There were workarounds that still let pirates play Dominions as something other than a glorified demo, but they definitely impacted QOL in oblique yet noticeable ways, so it's hardly incredible to suspect such things.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3443 on: September 25, 2017, 04:14:03 pm »

Just when I thought the AI couldn't show me it was more retarded, an astral mage just blinked itself into a retreating army of those heretic independents to die.

Considering, that astral mages have to study area of magic containing unspeakable truths about interdemnsional godeating horrors lurking near.
And that their everyday at job is very likely to end with becoming eternally laughing feeble minded fool constantly leaking saliva out of his mouth while mumbling gibberish about stars being right.
It might be quite reasonable for them to do things like that.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3444 on: September 25, 2017, 05:16:15 pm »

Also, Illwinter definitely has engaged in complex DRM sabotage shenanigans in the past. Their traditional MO was making parts of the UI eventually stop working for pirated keys. There were workarounds that still let pirates play Dominions as something other than a glorified demo, but they definitely impacted QOL in oblique yet noticeable ways, so it's hardly incredible to suspect such things.
Nagot gick fel!

... but yeah, that. No clue about D4 since I bought it early enough I didn't even get idly curious about the metaphorical state of things, but folks had something of a nightmare time getting a properly working D3 floating around. Half makes me wonder what's going on now that the bad old days of sales effectively being a cryptid are behind us, heh.
Ask not!
Ask!

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3445 on: September 25, 2017, 07:23:16 pm »

I kind of wish they had made that an option when playing Dreamlands.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3446 on: September 25, 2017, 10:21:41 pm »

General feature for insane pretenders would be the way to go. Rather than doing odd things or refusing commands, a pretender with insanity would intermittently make parts of the UI disappear and/or individual commands effectively cease to exist for a turn. This turn, you don't get to patrol, ah ha ha! What's that, you say? Search province? I'm sorry, I'm quite sure you mean pillage.

If you want real fun, it could cause numbers to misread or input incorrectly, too. Try giving a gem to a caster and they get three, but shows two or four, your research output is off by a few %, stuff like that.

Extra fun fun, you could start infecting weaker (lower domspread/strength) pretenders occasionally. "The dreams of the deep cloud your divine vision! Your formations are randomized this turn, and will be something other than what you choose should you try to change them." Or stronger ones if they (or their prophet) are actually inside a mad god's domain.

... just. Don't get it wrong. That is grotesquely horrible game design, and while as a challenge mode or something it might be interesting for the masochistic out there, anyone who actually tried to make that sort of mechanic part of a base game probably needs to be drug into an alleyway and beaten until either the stupid or their brain falls out. It's a heck of a thought, though.
Ask not!
Ask!

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3447 on: September 26, 2017, 02:45:17 am »

After turn 10, all your areas are getting raided by pirates.

While we are brainstorming, man would it be nice to have more "unleashable monsters" - like the guy that eats dead people and then goes berserk.

In Fall from Heaven (A civ mod) - you could research, well, a portal to hell and summon them into the world, losing your main nation and playing as them (if you so desire) - I can imagine opening the first gate, breaking thrones to release some sort of indi-force, deamon troops that will only fight for one round, mercs that go rogue, a spell that affects enemy commanders and makes them go indi-if in a province with pd < troops & alone...

Commander-Equipment (limited to 1 / leader) like:

"Weapons of Paris" [The guy that killed archiles] - Weapons of the troops ignore any magical armor

"Winter Clothing" - Winter Movement & 2 Forst resistance

"War Dogs" - Get one free War dog per 25 Size of troops and 1 for the commander

sum1won

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3448 on: September 26, 2017, 08:55:14 am »

My favorite DRM-rumor was that bad events would occur much more frequently in some pirated versions.  I think having your capital be attacked by Intor Vadul, the Ancient Presence, was one of those.  This event is no longer in the game, though.

After turn 10, all your areas are getting raided by pirates.

While we are brainstorming, man would it be nice to have more "unleashable monsters" - like the guy that eats dead people and then goes berserk.

In Fall from Heaven (A civ mod) - you could research, well, a portal to hell and summon them into the world, losing your main nation and playing as them (if you so desire) - I can imagine opening the first gate, breaking thrones to release some sort of indi-force, deamon troops that will only fight for one round, mercs that go rogue, a spell that affects enemy commanders and makes them go indi-if in a province with pd < troops & alone...

Commander-Equipment (limited to 1 / leader) like:

"Weapons of Paris" [The guy that killed archiles] - Weapons of the troops ignore any magical armor

"Winter Clothing" - Winter Movement & 2 Forst resistance

"War Dogs" - Get one free War dog per 25 Size of troops and 1 for the commander
I played a little with the unleashed mechanic but decided not to incorporate it into my main mod.  I think Red_Rob did some stuff with it, though.

I do have some roughly scripted mods along those lines on my computer.  The most complex of which is a pseudo-Zerg-mod.  A random event created a unit which would act like the eater of the dead (ie, be independent), except that it would spawn other units, some of which would attack neighboring provinces, and, if successful, start new colonies where they would spawn more units.

There was also a separate mod creating a rare event which could result in bloodhunters being attacked by nsfw units.  Which could also create more of themselves.

Some of the commander-things you mention are kind of possible, but not exactly the way you suggest.  For example, "magic weapons" is a possible buff in dom5, so you can code an item that automatically casts magic weapons on nearby troops at the start of battle, the same way that the iron face casts ironskin.  Limiting them one-leader would have to be done by putting them in a limited slot.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3449 on: September 26, 2017, 09:53:39 am »

Well, let's see... We've got the Eater of the Dead, who I suppose can be considered "unleashed" since it eventually goes off to do its own thing... Then there's the breaking of the seal and setting the imprisoned gods loose upon the world, which is also good fun.  Not sure if the Illwinter counts, as I don't think it's hostile towards the caster's forces... Hell, I honestly don't know how exactly it works, never seen it in practice. Those are the only ones off the top of my head, but I'm sure I'm missing a few.

Also, sum1won, I'm not getting whatever gif/image there to show up. Just says "user posted image". Judging from the comments, it has something to do with penis, which I can only imagine is heartily endorsed by the Illwinter games team, considering how many penises they include in the vanilla versions of their games.
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 236