Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 229 230 [231] 232 233 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 520308 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #3450 on: September 26, 2017, 10:54:27 am »

He's just linked to a mod that uses the mechanic y'all were talking about. Download it and try it out to see more.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3451 on: September 26, 2017, 12:27:40 pm »

Also, sum1won, I'm not getting whatever gif/image there to show up. Just says "user posted image". Judging from the comments, it has something to do with penis, which I can only imagine is heartily endorsed by the Illwinter games team, considering how many penises they include in the vanilla versions of their games.

...just be glad that unarmed satyrs in Dominions aren't as excited as unarmed satyrs in CoE4...

He's just linked to a mod that uses the mechanic y'all were talking about. Download it and try it out to see more.

Elmokki appears to have suffered a fit of better taste at some point and removed it.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3452 on: September 26, 2017, 03:15:29 pm »

...just be glad that unarmed satyrs in Dominions aren't as excited as unarmed satyrs in CoE4...

Actually, they are. The "Satyr" commander summoned by LA Pythium's Orgy spell is extremely excited about serving the greater interests of the one-eyed snake lord. And it drives the ladies crazy!

...literally. He can summon maenads for free.

The Lord of the Wild pretender is also packin' something under all that fur, and the greater nephilim have more than just the golden horns atop their heads to waggle menacingly.  Also, anyone remember that fig-leafed pretender chassis from earlier games? Yeah, well, he has a brother... One who isn't quite as modest, and who at least used to show up as an ultra-rare province population.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3453 on: September 26, 2017, 03:18:59 pm »

If anyone decided to run a game of dominions, I would like to join. Please PM me.)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3454 on: September 26, 2017, 05:37:29 pm »

Since round 27 ended not to long ago, there is the possiblity of starting round29, next to 28, but I doubt we'll have 6-8 players willing for it right now...

I've been playing (and losing to) super hard AI and the amount of blesses they have is gross as all hell...

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3455 on: September 26, 2017, 11:06:06 pm »

Elmokki appears to have suffered a fit of better taste at some point and removed it.
Nah, his hosting probably just dropped it due to time elapsed.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3456 on: September 27, 2017, 11:01:56 am »

The URL was on his personal website. If it's not there, he cleaned house. However, my ongoing collaboration with him on NG reassures me that any unexpected outbreak of conventional taste was not an enduring affliction.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #3457 on: September 27, 2017, 02:36:19 pm »

Since round 27 ended not to long ago, there is the possiblity of starting round29, next to 28, but I doubt we'll have 6-8 players willing for it right now...

I've been playing (and losing to) super hard AI and the amount of blesses they have is gross as all hell...
I had an interesting thought for a game, nationgen pool. Each player give the number to generate a nation then once all the players have sent one then the host would make the mod, distribute it then randomly assign each player a nation. It would discourage finding the most overpowered nation since it could end up being used against you. Easiest way I found of searching for an interesting nation is under nation restriction then nation or race theme. As an example, seed 1573659351 is hoburgs that have a recruit at any fort sacreds that are power frames, but they consume a lot of supplies.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 02:38:54 pm by etgfrog »
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3458 on: September 27, 2017, 04:03:46 pm »

Was running some tests (I had again forgotten whether or not Asphodel's sleep vines were affected by a fire bless... They are), when I suffered what is possibly the most brutally humiliating assassin death I've yet seen.

Big beefy ol' Panicratos the Apostatic Warrior was going around clearing out throne commanders for me, when he was eventually matched in combat and struck down... by blood slaves.

Yep. Fought a conjurer, conjurer had a whole goddamn harem of slaves on him. Panicratos went in for the kill, got blinded by a lucky skeleton, and then proceeded to get beaten to death by drunk virgins.

The rest of that game went about as poorly as one would expect, given such an omen.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3459 on: September 27, 2017, 04:11:02 pm »

I had an interesting thought for a game, nationgen pool.

If you get noticeable interest in doing this, I can try to get off my derriere and push out an NG update. I haven't been terribly motivated recently, but I'm "almost done" with yakshas, elephant men, occidental humans, and imperial humans (though for those last two I haven't worked out a data structure I'm happy with to produce consistently-flavored races). Probably one or two other things as well - I have a painfully short attention span where NG is concerned...

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3460 on: September 28, 2017, 06:38:20 pm »

...I think its clear at this point that you don't.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3461 on: September 30, 2017, 09:12:56 pm »

Ahahahaa... Oh lordy.

So I was doing some more pretender chassis tests, running some ideas for LA R'lyeh as well as a quick into-the-water pretender for Jomon. That was really the entirety of the design philosophy, just "get Jomon underwater, ASAP".

The R'lyeh expansion pretender was an incredible failure, dying to the first province. The starting expansion force (supplemented with a few crabs) was also slaughtered to a man on the first excursion. I figured that was about as poorly as things could go, and just put them on AI control while I focused on Jomon.

Fast-forward a number of turns, and I've made contact with R'lyeh. As expected they haven't expanded a whole heck of a lot, but the dominion has started freespawning stuff so they've at least taken over a few adjacent seas... I don't think very much more of it and start creeping in on their real estate.

And that's when things turned. Hoo boy. Bastards got a vastness freespawn in the beginning of year 3, which they then presented to me in a not-particularly-friendly manner, along with about a dozen elder things and a smattering of illithid soldiers. Mind blast hell, in other words.

Now, shrimp soldiers may have void sanity... But they do NOT have magic resistance. Ohhhh no, not a bit...  With a base MR of 8, my beefy underwater force evaporated within seconds, their puny little brains popping from the pressure of too much fhtagn.  As part of my testing on Jomon, I was going to do a couple simple runs of seeing how an onmyo-ji communion would work out (I've even entertained some notions of picking up a bless to lay down on the free shikigami that spawn for each onmyo in a communion). And with that many stars being that right, that close to home... I realized it was time to really kick things into gear.

So eventually the rampaging mindblaster armada worked its way into kind of a dead-end between three of my castles, and I managed to catch them with my little communion army.  Now, mind, I have little to no experience actually using communions, and this was the first time this particular party was seeing live combat... Unexpected things were to be expected.

It didn't take very long before things went wildly off-script, and instead of hurling fat ol' evocations across the battlefield, my caster pack sat around summoning REALLY big elementals (that promptly got stuck behind my front line), casting "enlarge" on each other, and casting berserk rage on the crossbowmen. Their big contribution was honestly just laying down flaming arrows for the samurai archers to pull a Longshanks on my shikigami.

Somehow, through sheer weight of manflesh, we managed to start gaining ground...  And then something really weird happened. Going completely off the script, one of my onmyos decided to cast "paralyze" at the vastness. "Hah," I thought, "you've got absolutely penetration gear on you and 10 perception on a good day, even if you DO manage to hit him there's no way you- holy shit he just paralyzed a vastness".

Through some insane-crazy RNG roll, he managed to punch through that 20 MR and pinned the thing for some 20 turns worth of paralysis. What followed was a rather surreal end to the fight, wherein the berserk crossbowmen (accompanied by the few actual infantrymen I possessed) ran up and manfought the vastness with their daggers until it died.

Communions, man... Crazy shakes.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3462 on: September 30, 2017, 09:22:00 pm »

10 perception on a good day, even if you DO manage to hit him
Paralyze has 100 spell precision, so that's never an issue.

Still, that's some RNGJesus' holy grace.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3463 on: October 05, 2017, 02:48:40 pm »

So... I'm having a little trouble with Nazca.

After supaya summoning got throttled, there's really not much point trying to bank on reanimating the blighters. They're less skilled than their living huaca counterparts, and that's on top of having a weapon that can be completely shrugged off with MR. With a maximum of 4 per month per reanimator, getting any kind of decent mass is either going to take a long time or take a lot of reanimators... And good fucking luck massing the reanimators. The royal mallqui is legitimately the single most expensive non-unique unit in the game, and by a fair margin at that. Or you could just relegate your one, singular prophet to the duty of sitting in one province for the rest of the game and doing bugger-all.  Not to mention your awesome go-to flying H3 can't even lead them without undead leadership items!

Your other sacreds are either the huacas, which are nice but potentially a little expensive at 15 pearls per 5 (or 7, with the headdress) huacas summoned; or the condors which are baller mundane units (and cheap!) but have puny MR (they're no Marverni boars, but still).

If you turn away from the sacreds Nazca keeps trying to push on you, you have... Not much. You've got slaves, but no taskmaster commanders. You've got cheapish flying lancers, which can be good fun... You've got some actually kinda useful undisciplined walking chaff, and you can even recruit them some places without a fort...  And you've got short bows with 11 precision.

The mages are all over the place, but you've got some cool stuff in the living section and some RIDICULOUS potential on the royal mallquis... Seriously, 2 innate spellcaster, all those paths, 2 helmets and 4 misc slots? If you had some decent communion slaves, these things would be terrifying...

Problem is, you don't. Your cheapest astral mage is 235 gold for a 1-in-3 chance of 1S. Cross your fingers and wish for lizards.

But even if you do get some communiony goodness going, that's still an *850*-gold mage that's size 6 and only 18 HP, with a whole 5 prot to its name. So much expense for something that could pop at any moment, and it doesn't even have the common decency to fly...

I suppose there's something to be said about a flying squad of ready-to-go flaming arrows, but... Yeah.  So much chaff, so little staying power.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3464 on: October 07, 2017, 01:54:01 am »

From what I remember, one of their units can free raise sacred fliers.  And the only viable strategy is spamming them absolutely everywhere.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 229 230 [231] 232 233 ... 236