Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 521050 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #3510 on: October 18, 2017, 08:38:10 pm »

Does air shield stop spells like all those -bolts, fireballs, darts, etc.? I'm pretty sure it works against blade wind, but does it against the others?

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3511 on: October 18, 2017, 08:54:34 pm »

It should work against most (if not all) projectile-based spells. Possibly not the ones with "ignore shield" tag, though it's been a while since I had to worry about that.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3512 on: October 19, 2017, 03:39:28 am »

Anything with an AoE of 1 will hit the entire tile and thus bypass air shield.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3513 on: October 19, 2017, 06:31:00 am »

The buff description also specifically states "all mundane projectiles", although whether a cloud of magically-conjured metal frisbees counts as 'mundane' or 'magical' is another thing.

But yeah, AoE things go right through.

EDIT: Okay, not sure where I got the mundane projectiles thing, because it doesn't show up on the normal air shield spell description or buff description... I could've sworn there was at least some variant of the effect that specified it was for defense against mundane projectiles.

Anyways, did some testing with Nazca and Twiceborn, because I got curious. Turns out, TB takes priority over mummification, so if a coya or hurin priest has cast TB and dies, they will return as a wight mage and will NOT come back as a mummy.

However, it has no effect on the ritual sacrifice of a coya if an inca dies and is to be mummified. TB gets completely bypassed, and the coya dies and is made part of the mummy bundle as usual.

What I was really testing, however, was reanimation. Unfortunately, incas cannot naturally spawn with death magic, which is a shame because they're the only living H3 priest Nazca has... But if you empower an inca, hand him a skull staff to cast Twiceborn, then send him off to get killed (preferably after returning the staff to the lab...), the resulting wight mage will be able to call supayas, same as the royal mallqui. The difference being that the wight mage costs no upkeep.

...now, mind, that's 60 death gems put into making the damn thing, discounting the staff. For that price you could cast "summon supayas" 6 times, resulting in 30-42 supayas (if I'm remembering correctly and the headdress adds +2 to summon spells). It'd take a reanimator 10 turns with a headdress to summon 30 supayas, and 14 turns to get 42.

So if you're looking at a long-term investment, I suppose it's technically a possibility...

I also learned some other interesting stuff, like how the "reanimate archers" spell (banefire bows, whoop whoop) is affected by reanimator bonuses. This means that Manco-Ocllo, who has a 4/4 bonus naturally, when wielding an amulet of the dead, will raise 16 archers per casting. Just a nifty little tidbit.

Also, geoglyphs instantly raises the magic scale of the province it's cast in by 2 points, which is pretty huge. This lasts for the entire duration of the spell, which I *believe* is 3 turns +1/extra pearl spent? Not quite sure.

EDIT2: In case anyone was wondering, putting a fever fetish and a disease grinder on the same unit will let both items work simultaneously. +2 fire gems and +1 death gems per turn.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3514 on: October 25, 2017, 10:22:59 am »

Hey, what happens when all of a nation's forts are under siege? No income?
And can troops under siege desert?
(I know, should run a test, but please, help my lazy arse if you know)

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3515 on: October 25, 2017, 10:35:27 am »

Yeah, no income - that's one of the quick ways to kneecap a player, early game - siege their capital. Even if they push you off, they've got virtually no income (I think they get 50% of the Capital's income) for the entire time they're without any unsieged castles.

Not sure about the second, but I'd assume they do desert.

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #3516 on: October 25, 2017, 11:17:40 am »

I can confirm that besieged troops can, and will, desert.
Check out my books at O and H Books

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3517 on: October 25, 2017, 11:20:46 am »

Splendid. Thanks.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3518 on: October 28, 2017, 06:57:07 am »

Hey, so, if you're ever looking for something really expensive and stupid to do, summon the chayot and then empower/boost them up to 8N so they can cast Transformation.

You'll end up with a level 10 priest (as well as 4S4F4E4A8N).

In other news, I have determined that Shinuyama is actually Mordor.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3519 on: October 28, 2017, 12:23:28 pm »

In other news, I have determined that Shinuyama is actually Mordor.
how do you figure?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3520 on: October 28, 2017, 02:26:28 pm »

Well, you've got yer mass hordes of goblins and lower orcs in the bakemono-sho, you've got the elite, heavily armored uruks of the dai bakemono, the large and powerful (but dimwitted) olog-hai in the form of o-bakemono, and you've even got the ringwraiths (shura) ready to thug out and beat the snot out of some ill-prepared hoburgs. You've even got easterlings with the armored bandits you can recruit.

Sauron's also always been known as one to pull whatever allies he can out of the dark forests and fetid crevices of the world, and Shinuyama's non-bakemono lineup really kinda speaks to that.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3521 on: October 28, 2017, 03:22:18 pm »

They're like Mordor if Mordor were simply wild instead of inherently evil.  Since Shinuyama (unless I'm getting my eras/factions mixed up) is encouraged to run full chaos.  So its not a blasted hellscape, more like a dark woods full of mischievous fair folk.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3522 on: October 28, 2017, 03:34:45 pm »

Not mischievous so much as malevolent. But still moreso in an unseelie fairy malevolence sort of way than in a cartoon-evil Sauron sort of way.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3523 on: October 28, 2017, 07:56:07 pm »

The Mujina's sole purpose in life is to drive people insane and/or murder them, the Shuten-doji is a "feared" mortal bloodsucker who drains the life force of his victims, and the Uba are described as "malicious old witches" who coat their daggers with poison and practice dark magic.

Hell, read their national hero's backstory. Yukinaga served as the bodyguard of a sorceror until he was taught black magic and eventually learned the secret to his master's immortality, at which point he murdered his charge, mimicked the ritual for life eternal and then slaughtered 7 other warlords in order to gain control of their clans in his bid for power.

And eh, I really don't think Shinuyama is encouraged to go Turmoil. Yomi is, because of all its recruitable demons (and the ones in the PD) with chaos power/recruit, but Shinuyama would need to spend gems in order to get oni, and nobody's gonna do that. Heck, considering your primary mage for both research and battlefield duty is 395 gold a pop, I'd say you'd want as much cash as you could possibly squeeze out of your territories.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3524 on: October 29, 2017, 03:08:46 pm »

Ah yes, I was talking about Yomi then.

And that's kind of what I mean.  E. Albright put it better.  A world conquered by Yomi still has plenty of life in it, its just a very harsh world for humans to survive in.  Whereas victory for Mordor is implied to mean the destruction or corruption of all life in Middle Earth, down to and including plants.

I'm trying to think of how to explain it.  Yomi is inspired by a lot of old myths, and in those myths the supernatural can be bad or good depending on how you treat it.  Don't walk off the path, be polite, say your charm so the milk doesn't spoil, that kind of thing.  If creatures from that kind of myth take over the world, they're not going to wipe out humans or turn it into a blasted hellscape.  They're just going to go on gleefully doing whatever it is that they do and humans will have to live with it.  Whereas if Sauron wins, the implication is that all life in Middle Earth will be destroyed or corrupted.  Down to and including plants.
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236