Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 520497 times)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #480 on: April 01, 2014, 01:24:46 pm »

Right now I feel that Ur could do best with a dormant pretender to max our some scales or to get a nice cheap bless (like A4E4 or E4+).

Really? I'm not normally one to go for awake pretenders, but I'd really be more tempted to go with one for them than with most other nations simply because of their "no pathloss"/elegists combo. Admittedly, they have no access to pretenders with recuperation, so you're still risking permanent damage, but it seems like the reduced risk to an awake SC would possibly make it worth pursuing.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: April 01, 2014, 01:27:51 pm »

Really? I'm not normally one to go for awake pretenders, but I'd really be more tempted to go with one for them than with most other nations simply because of their "no pathloss"/elegists combo. Admittedly, they have no access to pretenders with recuperation, so you're still risking permanent damage, but it seems like the reduced risk to an awake SC would possibly make it worth pursuing.

The problem is that their mages cost quite a bit gold, so you need good scales to recruit a large/competent mage force. So it's a bit of a balancing act, honestly.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: April 01, 2014, 01:37:50 pm »

Awake pretenders are basically all about getting an early game advantage, since some pretenders can basically stomp independents to dust (though you can still get unlucky... Dang Vine Arrow stopping my White Bull).

I think there are non-super-combatant "awake viable" pretenders but I honestly don't remember who they are if they exist.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 01:39:24 pm by Neonivek »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: April 01, 2014, 02:00:23 pm »

The Great Sage is probably the most notable one, especially with Dom4's addition of Inspiring Researcher to his personal research bonus. Alternately, you'd be looking for an early caster filling out a missing niche for a nation that needs to start summoning stuff almost immediately - that's not something you'll see a lot - or you want to get a head-start on site searching - that's probably not worth it in the long run.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 02:02:26 pm by E. Albright »

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: April 01, 2014, 02:21:35 pm »

I think gem generators might also qualify if you anticipate a shortfall in gems, especially with the change in forged items from Dom3 gem generators to the originally-intended behavour of in-battle temporary gems only.  Great Enchantress (+1S) is probably the best since she can also be readily designed as a rainbow mage, with the only other option being Titan of Rivers (+2W). 

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: April 01, 2014, 02:56:42 pm »

Spoiler: Best EA Race (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 03:05:20 pm by Mindmaker »

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: April 01, 2014, 02:58:39 pm »

Spoiler: Best EA Race (click to show/hide)

No idea what you posted. You must have directly linked the picture, because all it says is 4chan.org.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: April 01, 2014, 03:05:44 pm »

Worked fine in preview. Does it work now?

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: April 01, 2014, 03:07:04 pm »

Yes it does. And they clearly are the best EA race. The bestest.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: April 01, 2014, 07:03:56 pm »

Well you know how new I am to this game :P

But as has been said, Ur is an expensive nation. Troops start at 17g and they're nowhere near as durable as Hinnom's lineup and while most of their mages are sacred, they're still pricy and their best non-cap mage is both expensive and non-sacred. O3G3 seems like a very good idea.
Even then you have the issue which you mentioned, afflictions. I see the no-loss on magic paths as an added bonus, but definitely not something you plan a strategy around.
Besides, even with the elegy bonus on Call God, it's going to take several turns to resurrect a dead god in the early game. So I'm not seeing the benefit in taking one as an awake expander with the idea that you'll call it back whenever it croaks.

To me the no-path-loss and elegists seem more of a midgame bonus. Ur is one of the premier nations to be casting Gift of Health natively, only Pangaea seems to really be competing with them. Considering that, Ur seems like a nation that powers through the early game with its troops and adds a strong active god in during the midgame that loses no paths on death, gets called back superfast and heals its afflictions with natively casted GoH. Pure theorycraft bullcrap but it's the best I can do as I lack a completed Ur MP.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: April 01, 2014, 07:21:29 pm »

Going for gold: T2/G3/L3 all day erry day. It's not as consistent but you get bunches of other junk on the side. I love me turmoil/luck, ha. Can stick the turmoil gains into more dominion or something, I'unno. Effectively basing your income on something unrelated (I think, anyway.) to the quality of your provinces and instead hinging on the quantity of them makes for interesting times. So many events *flails*

Also dem items and free path diversification and heroes >_<
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: April 01, 2014, 07:35:03 pm »

The problem with that is that events are capped at 4/turn, regardless of your province count. Income bonus of order scales into each and every one of your provinces. And it has been tested by the community that gold-wise, order is quite simply better than luck. Luck has other benefits, especially after the latest patch that supposedly buffed it up. You can get a lot of gems with it. Depending on what and how you're playing that can be more important than order-gold. But that's the thing. It is NOT gold. If you want gold (like expensive-everything Ur) you're not getting your scales worth from luck. On the other hand, someone like Bandar Log has fairly cheap units and good summonable sacreds. You could conceivably do a luck-build with them, alchemize all the gems into pearls and turn all pearls into celestial murder machines.

Order is not better than luck, but order gives more gold than luck. You simply can't rely on gold+ events to make up for the difference between turmoil and order.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: April 01, 2014, 07:37:06 pm »

You'll also tend to get more gold events in provinces with order scales, I think.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: April 01, 2014, 07:41:01 pm »

I've gotten some events hinting that, "stability is great, have some gold". I've also gotten negative income events "Excessive bureaucracy somethingsomethingsomething, lose X gold".

I think there are many events tied to specific scales, might be worth looking into them at some point.

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
  • The not quite as great as Toady or Three toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: April 03, 2014, 10:22:25 am »

Is it just me, or has MA Ulm become awesome now?

High stat/Prot troops, resource bonuses, cheap and effective chaff (War Dogs), great forging....

I think I'm in love.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 236