Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 522966 times)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #525 on: April 05, 2014, 03:15:36 pm »

I... kinda would be okay with a 4.04 Dom Disciple game. If you waiting for the next patch, you should probably also wait for the Caelum/flying nation stuff to be added too. From what I heard it shouldn't take too long for it to arrive, and... I really want to play a better Caelum.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: April 05, 2014, 03:28:40 pm »

Having seen my share of "waiting for around-the-corner patch to come out", I can say that just because the devs have said or implied that it'll be done "soon", there's no guarantees.
Definitely wait for the 4.05 to come out, but waiting for the bird patch on top of that could well take until autumn.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: April 05, 2014, 04:49:43 pm »

I'd be interested in general, but I've yet to finish a single game and I'm already signed up for a beginner game.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: April 05, 2014, 04:58:20 pm »

Well, if we can get a good mix of advanced/intermediate/beginners, a lack of experience wouldn't be a serious detriment, as we could try to balance the expertise of each team. At that point, it could even be a rather useful learning experience, as a beginner would have more experienced players to ask for advice and critique how their battles play out, etc.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: April 05, 2014, 05:23:01 pm »

Well, I'll be gone over easter, so it's probably not an option.
Totally forgot about that.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: April 05, 2014, 05:36:00 pm »

Heh. Given that we're in pre-pre-planning, and talking about not even starting pretender submission until the 4.05 patch is out, I think that doesn't rule you out.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: April 05, 2014, 07:14:18 pm »

That's nice to hear.
If it's past that date, sign me up.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: April 05, 2014, 07:52:33 pm »

I... I'd kinda' like to. Problem being that I'm fairly sure life is going to get kinda' turbulent two or three months out from now and I'm not 100% sure I'd be able to commit for the whole thing. It being a discipline game, though... would it be viable to pass off to another team mate, on the chance things do go to pot? At least until a sub can step in. If there'd be someone willing to take double load for a bit, just in case, I'd throw in without hesitation.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: April 05, 2014, 07:57:44 pm »

I don't think that would be a problem. In principle. I'm going to go ahead and make a pre-pre-planning thread so as to cease cluttering this one up with non-general blathering.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 08:15:20 pm by E. Albright »

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: April 06, 2014, 05:33:26 pm »

Cam't seem to get much out of my regular troops as Yomi, once I encounter other players.
The murder everything short of a Dai Oni, rendering the whole investment lost.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: April 06, 2014, 06:00:17 pm »

Cam't seem to get much out of my regular troops as Yomi, once I encounter other players.
The murder everything short of a Dai Oni, rendering the whole investment lost.

There is a reason that Yomi is considered one of the worse nations in the game, and obviously you have found it. Their troops suck balls. If it helps, general consensus seems to be that the Ko-Oni are the best units that Yomi has. Actually, I'm lying. The Bakemono Archers are. 8 gold short-bows and Flaming Arrows is a very deadly combination, after all.

EDIT: Yomi can also cast Wind Guide too, to increase the accuracy of the arrows and increase the pain. Still doesn't make them a very good nation though.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 06:02:47 pm by USEC_OFFICER »

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: April 06, 2014, 06:09:20 pm »

Well at least Dai Oni can do most of the heavy lifting and aren't too bothered by ~5 afflictions.
Too bad you real players can counter them.

It's just a shame that my midgame consists of ~7 Yomi running around soloing everything.
I can't seem to be able to mass troops, since I'm constantly low on gold and what I can buy with 1400g worth of troops, I can do better with a 490g oni and some pieces of equipment.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: April 06, 2014, 06:15:35 pm »

-snip-

Yep, pretty much. And Dai Oni are slow-to-recruit and only available in your capital too. But at least they have good MR, so it's slightly harder to banish/smite them.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: April 06, 2014, 06:49:48 pm »

Are you aware that all the demon troops of Yomi have Chaos Power? That means that they get + or - to some of their stats based on the order/turmoil or unrest level in a province.
Order-3 means they get -3 (assuming Chaos Power-1, which I guess all or most troops have). At turmoil-3 they get +3. Every 15 points of unrest gives you +1 (so +0 stat modification in order-3 unrest-45 for example). You can only have max of +3, so at turmoil-3 unrest offers you no benefits.

I guess that negative 1-3 to most stats is what killed you. Since Yomi can't blood sacrifice, they probably want to get a strong dominion (one of the rare cases I'd seriously consider dom10). You also need to debate how much order/turmoil you want, since Yomi really really likes their gold (expensive demons yo!), but they really hate their stat penalties from order.

Back in dom3 Yomi didn't have chaos power (more like chaos weakness *sigh*), so you can't really read any old guides for them either and make things work.

I haven't actually played any Yomi beyond little SP. I've seen some talk elsewhere that states Yomi as one of the few really borked nations currently, maybe true maybe whining. Either way Yomi isn't an easy nation to get rolling in its current state.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: April 06, 2014, 07:11:50 pm »

Well they do well against neutrals as I have said already and their thugs are probably the best there are, but that's it.
I can post a more detailed report on my situation tomorrow.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 236