Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 521570 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #630 on: April 21, 2014, 09:40:11 am »

They're currently not marked as cap-only, so that's great. The game didn't really have that many sacred archers.
I'm definitely loving the possibilities, with the potential for an F9AX bless.  Yes, you too can now have your own free Flaming Arrows spell with boosted precision from Turn 1. ^_^

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: April 21, 2014, 09:43:48 am »

I'm definitely loving the possibilities, with the potential for an F9AX bless.  Yes, you too can now have your own free Flaming Arrows spell with boosted precision from Turn 1. ^_^

I was thinking about the exact same thing, actually. Or a F9SX bless with that Ahura of Oath, to gain access to Caelum's late-game summons. Mind you, Fire Weapons only works with LA Caelum, since the other archers have Frost Bows which can't be blessed with flaming weapons. A bit of a shame, honestly. Still, LA Caelum needs all of the help it can get, so flaming arrow spam would be great for them. EA/MA Caelum has thunderbolt spam after all.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: April 21, 2014, 11:09:26 am »

Wouldn't D9Ax work a lot better? Or is it impossible to imbue frost bows with death too?

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: April 21, 2014, 11:29:07 am »

Wouldn't D9Ax work a lot better? Or is it impossible to imbue frost bows with death too?

Yeah, a Death Bless would work with the bows too. And that bless also syncs well with their sacred heavy infantry, since they get undying 10 (or something like that) which helps them stay on the battlefield for longer. Plus flaming arrows doesn't stack with flaming weapons, and Caelum eventually gets a 4F caster.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: April 22, 2014, 07:08:05 am »

Are there other spells as annoying as Burder of Time?
Currently hoping I get to dispel it before all my good mages die.

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: April 22, 2014, 08:53:50 am »

Astral Corruption can be annoying, too. It'll give each ritual and magic item a chance to attract horrors to the mage responsible, one per cent for each gem spent. It's pretty cheap, too, considering it costs blood slaves.
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath, and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: April 22, 2014, 10:23:43 am »

In my opinion, I'd probably list the following:

Most annoying Ritual spells:
1. Utterdark - if you're willing to cast this, you're one of the few nations unaffected by global darkness or a 90% income drop (probably undead).  Unfortunately, everyone else is going to be most unhappy with your devastation of their armies and tax base, which is going to make you public enemy number one.
2. Burden of Time - Kills the elderly, which means a dangerous amount of mages for many nations.  Undead don't care, and the very young aren't quite as affected.  Also gradually kills your population, which means that if you have a gold-based economy (read: aren't Ermor or Lemuria), you're going to have issues if this stays up for too long.
3. Astral Corruption - Horror show, but definitely not horrorshow.  If an opponent has this up, kiss your non-blood mages goodbye if you cast or forge anything, which is a bad thing in the magic-heavy late-game.  And if you try and fail to dispel it?  Horror-marked.  Eugh...
4. Strands of Arcane Power - As if creeping dominion wasn't bad enough, now it spontaneously mind-hunts your mages.  The only bright side is that if the mage that cast this ritual gets feeble-minded due to lash-back from a failed mind hunt, the ritual ends.  The down side is that any mage that casts this is S7 at a minimum, and will not be easy to defeat in a Mind Hunt duel. 
5. Wrath of God/Vengeful Water - See Arcane Power, only with less "targeted destruction" and more "death from above/below."  Annoying, but unlike Strands, a bit less dangerous.
6. Illwinter/Second Sun - bad enough for most nations, but if you're actually a nation of the opposite temperature from whichever one was just cast, these rituals mean trouble.  Expensive (especially Illwinter, at no less than 120 Blood Slaves!), slow, and ineffective, but supremely annoying. 

Other things to watch out for are gem generators - these aren't dangerous in themselves, but they're powerful gateway spells if they're placed in the hands of a powerful nation.  I'd probably rank them from most to least dangerous as:
1. Arcane Nexus - "What's mine is mine, and what's yours is mine."  Any spells you cast turn into gems for this one's owner.
2. Stellar Focus/Well of Misery/Blood Vortex - "I win" buttons abound in these Astral, Death, and Blood, as long as they have the spells/forges for it.  Very dangerous, high potential for a runaway game.  Well of Misery is especially dangerous because it's *beneficial* to other nations, too - they might actually ignore it for a while if it's stripping away disease and ailments from them. 
3. Earth Blood Deep Well - Beautiful forges in Earth especially paired with others.  Potential to summon Kings of Elemental Earth. 
4. Eternal Pyre - Some decent forges for Fire, and expect greater potential for evocation spam and siege magics.  Potential to summon Kings of Elemental Fire.
5. Gale Gate - Queens of Elemental Air can jump across maps with high MOV and Flying, giving strategic flexibility if you're (somehow) an Air nation that doesn't have Flying.  Decent evocation spam potential here, as in fire.  Randomly spits out storms in enemy provinces, which is unfortunate since it makes you a bigger target.
6. Mother Oak - A couple good forges (Rejuvenation/Regeneration are both in this path), but that's about it. 
7. Maelstrom - Water has mediocre forges (except for things like Frostbrand), but two of the three Queens of Elemental Water are only useful in the water.  On the other hand in the water, they are most dangerous in their element...
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 10:29:21 am by Culise »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: April 22, 2014, 10:38:13 am »

3. Astral Corruption - Horror show, but definitely not horrorshow.  If an opponent has this up, kiss your non-blood mages goodbye if you cast or forge anything, which is a bad thing in the magic-heavy late-game.  And if you try and fail to dispel it?  Horror-marked.  Eugh..

You forgot to mention the fun bit where it intermittently increases the results of "send horror" type spells, so you can semi-regularly get Doom Horrors flung across the map for a few lousy blood slaves...

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: April 22, 2014, 11:26:20 am »

I'd make the correction that Maelstrom doesn't give you merely water gems, it gives you a small amount of each type of gem (outside of blood of course), and that Stellar Focus is 5 pearls / turn. It's definitely useful, especially at that price, but it's not as powerful as you give it credit, I think.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 11:29:01 am by lijacote »
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath, and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: April 22, 2014, 02:16:32 pm »

The thing that puts Burden of Time above the rest is how low on the research tree it is.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: April 22, 2014, 03:59:31 pm »

Edit:
Scratch that.
That whole bless was way to endgame centric.

I need some better scales and need to think if I need a major bless at all.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 06:40:49 pm by Mindmaker »

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: April 22, 2014, 06:47:56 pm »

Don't waste gold on fort upgrades, they're rarely worth it. Are you getting your flagellants from just your forts or from several temple provinces? Those "cheap" sacreds require 400g/province to produce so you may want to prioritize them to just your forts. They're cheap on r so they shouldn't interfere too much with other fort recruitment.

In general, if your income and upkeep are nearing 1:1, you have way too many troops/mages and/or not enough provinces. So try to keep an eye on your recruitment and make sure you're always fighting and gaining ground.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: April 22, 2014, 06:51:42 pm »

So in my experience, Ermor's limiting factor is it's lack of gold. Sure you can raid, but after the first few provinces you've raided you're dominion has basically made the next closest ones useless. I find that the ritual spells for gold the only real way of making gold, and they use up a lot of gems! Any alternatives?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: April 22, 2014, 07:09:03 pm »

Can't say anything about MA Ermor that isn't painfully obvious. Go luck-3, maybe only take dom 5-7 to curtail the domspread. At least you don't need to build a lot of labs so you have that going for you.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: April 22, 2014, 07:21:09 pm »

Yeah kind of noticed that fort upgrades are for when you have more money than you can ever spend (so never, or if you have already won).
I don't build temples for flaggellants only, but may recruit them at places which have special units with a lab/fort combination.

I'll try another approach with a 4A4S4E Titan of War and Wisdom.
I could get 0 leftover points with 5 Dom, 3 Order, 3 Production and 3 Growth, but that might be a bit of gold overkill and a bit of a dominion risk, which is a bit mitigated by my inqusitors special ability. I want to keep the high production to try relying more on my knight units since massing them proved very effective.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 236