Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 520933 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #645 on: April 22, 2014, 07:21:47 pm »

Ya, I ended up going dom 10. Needless to say, a lot of the map is a bleak wasteland. Ya, labs not really necessary, I have one extra just to provide a shorter route to summonable reinforcements for my northern armies, but that's it.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: April 22, 2014, 07:57:32 pm »

Yeah... conceptually, maybe one of the alchemy spells? Could take a high fire or earth pretender (probably the latter, for forging and conceptually bless. Though given it's Ermor you probably have plenty of room for bless, ha.) to squeeze out some more money. You could probably get by siphoning fire gems, at least, into your pocketbook as necessary. Earth to a lesser degree, but...

... anyone know how much gold an F10 or E10+ (base X9+boosters) pretender squeezes out per gem?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: April 23, 2014, 06:17:23 am »

... anyone know how much gold an F10 or E10+ (base X9+boosters) pretender squeezes out per gem?

The breakdown is:

Alchemical Transmutation = (9 + E) x (gems - 1) gold per casting
Distill Fire = (14 + F) x (gems - 1) gold per casting
Earth Gem Alchemy = (11 + 2E) x (gems - 1) gold per casting
Transmute Fire = (16 + 2F) x (gems - 1) gold per casting

So for a normal E10/F10 caster, you're looking at 31g/36g per gem, ignoring the one-gem overhead to cast the spell. A Master Alchemist obviously is getting double that for 62g/72g. For an endgame scenario, a 10E/10F Master Alchemist with the Alchemist's Stone will get 77g/90g per additional gem put into the spell.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: April 23, 2014, 06:38:57 am »

MA Marignon gets 4F cap income, access to master alchemist and has an alluring sacred (flagellant) for a high F bless. Gimmicky as anything but so are a lot of things. MA Ulm gets 5E cap infome but isn't really a sacred nation. Ex will be cheaper than Fx on the alchemist though.
Other master alchemist nations: LA Ulm|Marignon|Agartha|Bogarus

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: April 25, 2014, 03:18:35 pm »

Moghopper's posted 4.05 for newbies only if you'd like to get in on that.
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath, and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: April 26, 2014, 05:44:43 am »

I'll be taking part in a beginner game later this day. Too bad it's EA and I don't know shit about EA.
Well half the fun of those games is actually playing badly, so I might as well have some fun with Yomi.

Edit:
Worth building your Pretender to get your national summons?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 08:47:33 am by Mindmaker »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: April 26, 2014, 10:04:04 am »

... depends on the summons, and if they scale with caster power. Like, MA Argatha, it's not the worst thing to build an E9 pretender (or disciple) to cast Hall of Statues.

EA Yomi, though? Definitely not. Most (Looks like all, really...) of their nationals can be summoned by their recruitable troops, and only one of them scale (and... you're probably not going to build a successful strategy around spamming konoha tengu). You'd be better off building your pretender to summon something that can summon your national summons, or to build boosters so your troops can have an easier time summoning them.
Ask not!
Ask!

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: April 26, 2014, 10:12:04 am »

My advice, and especially for a beginner, is to just stay away from Yomi. They currently have the problem that all their worthwhile troops are super expensive and chaos powered, which means you have to choose between not having enough of them, or having them be extra weak.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: April 26, 2014, 11:46:28 am »

Well I'm going forgo the extra paths and just pick up another major bless instead.
With a little luck some indie mage may be able to summon them and if I don't find any, then I can live with the loss.

They are tricky I agree, but I have faith in my ability to play them against equally unexperienced players.
One of Yomis strong points is that you don't need big standing armies like many other nations do, therefore saving yourself the upkeep up until the point where you'll need them.
Considering most of their troops are resource 1, you can recruit a whole army in a single turn at your basic fort.

I'll be playing the game SC heavy anyway.
I just hope somebody doesn't counter me too hard.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: April 26, 2014, 12:30:46 pm »

Mm... the only thing you'd be missing out on are the nature summons (Kappa, karatengu, nushi)*, though getting a Dai-Oni that can summon Dai-tengu is pretty rare (though if you've got a pretender that can build air boosters -- or summon something that can -- you've got a 1 in 4 chance of recruiting a sorcerer that can summon 'em. Or just trade for one, if you're in MP.). You've got easy access to the death nationals, and your sorcerers (and dai-oni, though if you're using dai-oni to summon things something has probably gone incredibly wrong.) have a 1 in 4 chance of being able to summon konoha tengu. You're not giving up much not having a pretender that's an AWN mix.

Though, that said, I don't think WN would be a terrible bless for Yomi. Maybe not incredible, but not terrible. And then you'd have a pretender that can summon naiads to deal with summoning the part-nature nationals (barring the karasu tengu, anyway, but screw them. AN is kinda' rare.). Assuming you ever want to summon kappa (nope**) or nushi (maybe).

*And, uh. They're not exactly the most mindblowing of summons, those.
**3 water gems and a caster's turn for three kappa? Are you kidding me?
Ask not!
Ask!

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: April 26, 2014, 01:48:04 pm »

Well the two mages are quite nice although wasting paths and a pretender turn would be too much.
Never did any mass summoning, but I guess It could be useful for Yomi to have troops that don't disintegrate from banishment.
Except for Kappa that is. Can't imagine summoning those even if I desperately need a water province and can't find indies.

Honestly, the longer I play Yomi the more ways to play them I do discover.
They aren't as simple as they appear. Given the right indie mages you can do interesting things with them and their national summons.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: April 26, 2014, 02:05:56 pm »

Incidentally Yomi gets the Celestial General pretender who has a mix of AES which opens up some of yomi/shin/jomon national summons and is a lovely minor bless chassis in general. Not the optimal choice for every strat but it's one of my favourite pretenders/pretender paths out there.

I've seen Naiad Warriors in use. They're pretty good on the battlefield and are fairly gem/mage-turn efficient. That's not too common in the current vanilla :P
Not sure I'd build a pretender for those, but they're definitely a unit to keep an eye on if you ever happen to run into some WN.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: April 30, 2014, 03:35:59 pm »

Advince for designing LA Jomon?

Thinking about a dormant Celestial general (once he awakes I can outfit him with items to take a water province) with 4A4E5S.
Not sure about scales though. Their great maintainance/research ratio monks seem to cry out for magic scales and I'd like to take 1-2 there.
Troops cost a high amount of resources (25 resources for your mid/late infantary unit and archers). I'd like to take 2-3 production there.
Not sure about gold. On the one hand all your troops are low gold, but on the other hand you want a lot of high upkeep mages, who have high variance so you might need to recruit a lot to get what you want.

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
  • The not quite as great as Toady or Three toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: April 30, 2014, 08:05:37 pm »

Advince for designing LA Jomon?

Thinking about a dormant Celestial general (once he awakes I can outfit him with items to take a water province) with 4A4E5S.
Not sure about scales though. Their great maintainance/research ratio monks seem to cry out for magic scales and I'd like to take 1-2 there.
Troops cost a high amount of resources (25 resources for your mid/late infantary unit and archers). I'd like to take 2-3 production there.
Not sure about gold. On the one hand all your troops are low gold, but on the other hand you want a lot of high upkeep mages, who have high variance so you might need to recruit a lot to get what you want.

Obviously you should take no magic paths, and -3 in all scales. A sure way to defeat me ;D

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: May 01, 2014, 12:57:06 am »

And put all your points into DOMINION! It's so crazy, it just might work.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 236