Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 520306 times)

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #705 on: June 01, 2014, 11:02:50 am »

I believe there was a mod in Dom3 that killed your own stuff, but no, suicide is the only way out (besides disease). I guess you can gateway or whatever aquatic troops onto land or land troops into water, but that's... well, expensive.
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath, and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: June 01, 2014, 11:50:17 am »

There isn't.
So, when using sea nation, you may want to think twice before recruiting many aquatic units :D

rumpel

• Bay Watcher
  • test
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: June 01, 2014, 07:15:40 pm »

Thanks for your replies, guy! I still have 16 hours to decide if I get it or not. But I'm still not THAT convinced yet. Is there an review/let's play or whatever that you recommend me that shows the game in its coolness? Normally I would buy round-based strategy games for 12€ without thinking too much. But something holds me back here and I don't know what (maybe the accessibility? But oh well, I'm a DF player, so...)

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: June 01, 2014, 07:20:19 pm »

There's some good ones for Dominions 3 around, and 4 is basically just a straight upgrade from 3. All the video content I remember seeing for Dominions 4 was by people who didn't really know how to play (this was prior to release), so I can't recommend anything there.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: June 01, 2014, 07:21:14 pm »

Marcus Aurelius' stuff seems to be fairly popular. From what little of his stuff I've viewed he seems to do mainly SP:
https://www.youtube.com/user/marcusaureliuslp/playlists

I've watched and greatly enjoyed Maerlande's tutorial/playthrough of an MP game he played:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXa4InahZRZkqRrmqug0C4t1Zvgzo0vRm
The latter is a pretty good tutorial viewing for anyone looking to get into dominions MP as the guy can actually play the game and explains most of his actions as he does them.

edit:
Maerlande's stuff is fairly short and to the point so if you're strapped for time but want to see moving pictures, I'd recommend him.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 07:23:16 pm by Delta Foxtrot »

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: June 01, 2014, 07:22:58 pm »

There's some good ones for Dominions 3 around, and 4 is basically just a straight upgrade from 3. All the video content I remember seeing for Dominions 4 was by people who didn't really know how to play (this was prior to release), so I can't recommend anything there.
This one is especially good. Lots of fun and interesting stuff.
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath, and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: June 02, 2014, 09:22:07 pm »

Do you enjoy dominions multiplayer via llamaserver? Are you moderately wealthy? If so, you may just be the person to throw some money at llamaserver funding drive:
https://pledgie.com/campaigns/25522/

IIRC he does these every few years to cover the costs of running a dedicated game server. It's all there in the pledge description really.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: June 13, 2014, 03:12:57 am »

The modinspector listing magic sites shows a number of level 5 & 6 sites. Are these acutally findable in game, or are they event, or map-specific only? I'd like to know if searching with a lvl4 mage does or doesn't reveal all sites from a given path.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: June 13, 2014, 03:42:03 am »

Yeap, they can be found by a very skill mage.
On the other hand, most of them aren't really special, and therer are very few of them. I read on the Desura forum that 98% of the magic sites (with the weighted randomization) are found with 3 in all paths (and 95% with 2).
Considering how game-changing a mage with paths at 4 or more can be, once you have some research done, magic searching should nearly never be what they're doing ^^

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: June 13, 2014, 03:46:28 am »

Very few, but very terrain specific. It might be worth remote-searching all your wastelands and mountains.
Especially if you're a magic site hoarder like myself.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: June 13, 2014, 10:40:09 am »

The 5s are all non-generating (rarity 5). I'd be tempted to suspect the 6s were as well simply on principles of consistent design, especially since there's one (Oath Stone) with no effects whatever, but they have normal rarity levels, so it looks like those ones can spawn.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: June 13, 2014, 02:49:50 pm »

Do most people not do site searching spells? When I want to farm gems in singleplayer I pick a race with multiple level 2 or 3 magic types and just spam them. I've had up to 100 site searching mages at once covering 4 or 5 magic elements if not more. Mostly what I do when I want to super equip armies of commandered Seraphs using wish to summon and empower them.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: June 13, 2014, 02:49:52 pm »

there's one (Oath Stone) with no effects whatever
It may be linked to events happening there. I think I read something about events possible only with sites (other than the obvious throne-related events).

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: June 13, 2014, 03:56:16 pm »

Oh, yes, there are lots of site-specific events; e.g., the Mist-Covered Highlands or the Silver Sarcophagus. Those are normal low-level sites though. From a design perspective, I can't see why there needs to be level 6 sites unless they're just really, really hard to find, and even setting aside the extreme oddity of having randomly generated level 6s while level 5s are only event spawned, the scant handful of level 6s don't seem to have power commensurate with that level. There's probably something glaringly obvious that we're just not thinking of, though.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: June 13, 2014, 04:03:07 pm »

Oh, yes, there are lots of site-specific events; e.g., the Mist-Covered Highlands or the Silver Sarcophagus. Those are normal low-level sites though. From a design perspective, I can't see why there needs to be level 6 sites unless they're just really, really hard to find, and even setting aside the extreme oddity of having randomly generated level 6s while level 5s are only event spawned, the scant handful of level 6s don't seem to have power commensurate with that level. There's probably something glaringly obvious that we're just not thinking of, though.
Events, unlocked recruitable commanders/units, those lovely increases in ritual ranges for some of them (Necromancer Lair, Tower of Ice/Thorns), healing in the Isle of Rebirth (especially with the massive reduction in Disease removal for Dom4), and probably some other hidden effects for the others.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 236