Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 521447 times)

LongDongSilver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #720 on: June 14, 2014, 08:58:25 pm »

So, for the 4.07 game we need a sub for Caelum because of an unexpected drop, anyone interested? Seems like the guy playing Caelum (usec officer) had to drop because of sudden issues irl. The game is only on turn seven so the game's early enough that he probably hasn't done anything other than just expand against indies so the game's pretty close to a blank slate for whatever you want to do with it. Really don't want to put Caelum as an AI if I can help it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: June 14, 2014, 09:12:45 pm »

USEC actually dropped like... three dom games? At least .07 and .04, and I think one of the others, too.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: June 14, 2014, 09:37:52 pm »

It makes sense to me you'd drop all of your games if you need to drop one. Exception being if you simply overcommitted.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: June 15, 2014, 01:45:24 am »

.05 is the other.  That game's on turn 37, and I think it's public knowledge that he's conquered one other player so should be in a relatively competitive position.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: June 15, 2014, 06:09:18 pm »

Getting confused on all the weapon/shield combinations EA Abysia has to offer.
Not really sure what base unit type I should use in which situation.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: June 15, 2014, 08:43:51 pm »

Axe+Shield guy to fight shieldless infantry, Axe+Morningstar guy to fight infantry with shields or dudes with high defense, Battleaxe guy for anything big with lots of hp.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: June 15, 2014, 08:44:20 pm »

Spear+shield at the front, multi attack weapons like flails if you can get them for low protection enemies, and axes for high protection enemies. At least that's how I use Bogarus troops in Dom 3. I can't remember what Abyssia infantry uses.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: June 16, 2014, 02:52:57 am »

Spear+shield at the front, multi attack weapons like flails if you can get them for low protection enemies, and axes for high protection enemies. At least that's how I use Bogarus troops in Dom 3. I can't remember what Abyssia infantry uses.

Battleaxe, flail, Axe+Shield, and Morningstar+Shield, for their regular troops, and their sacreds (Burning Ones) have two morningstars.

They lack spears, and archers, and if they recruit indies, they have an unfortunate tendency to accidentally light them on fire unless fielding them as entirely separate armies. (They also have an unfortunate tendency to occasionally set their blood slaves on fire during battles as well)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: June 16, 2014, 03:15:15 am »

They lack [...] archers
Well, that's why they have Fireballs ! :D

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: June 16, 2014, 03:17:14 am »

Morning star units do well against shielded opponents, while axes and shields are great against less armored opponents. Blunt weapons in general are considered not too great of a weapon if I remember right, since they deal double damage on head hits, which happen 10% of the time against units the same size as you. Slashing weapons deal 20 or 25% more damage when they connect, and piercing weapons reduce protection by 20%

I know flails are considered something of an exception to the blunt weapon averse, since it's multi-attack, it's got a better chance of hitting the head, and reduces defense when it attacks.

And personally, from what I know about their sacreds (two morning stars, set people on fire) I'd think I'd use them with a major nature bless with a minor earth, idea being they'd be best the longer they last.

My two cents though, never played the nation myself, and I'm basing what I'm saying on hearsay and a bit on the manual.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: June 16, 2014, 03:31:24 am »

I've been thinking about creating a map where each nation starts in territories with huge amounts of people, resources and sites that grant hugs bonuses to gem income and conjuration/construction. The idea is that you use these resources to try and create unbeatable armies and become king of the hill. The center territory (the hill) is the only center people are allowed to attack. It contains an affliction healing site so that armies don't keel over and die after a couple of battles.
Would there be any interest in a map like that? One where you can try and create the ultimate SC, army or whatever and pit them against similar armies.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: June 16, 2014, 05:20:05 am »

Sounds like it'd be fairly amusing. Can't help but wonder if it'd be a good idea to just go directly at the source and adjust costs instead of finagling with custom sites, though. That would let you be a lot more versatile about where/who is, well, where and doing what.

How would you deal with the freespawn nations, though? Mod in low cost or costless recruitment for 'em? Units with dom or active summoning? Just disable the sad buggers? And those poor underwater nations... give everything amphibious, maybe, and just sprinkle water provinces around? Also maybe some caves. Somewhere.

Also, flying/teleporting/offensive ritual spells/etc. Honor system, mod out, let the shenanigans flow free, something else? Gods know one of my first thoughts with a blood nation would be to take my massive income, hire up a crapton of toad rain capable casters, and blanket everyone else's provinces with crippling income penalties :P

Similarly, anything with ready access to pop killing spells would just be, like, "Allz y'all get rekt, lololololol" and then walk into the center after everyone else has lost their entire income base.

E: Though in immediate retrospect, that might be a good argument in favor of cost adjustment instead of anything province based. Less room for chicanery.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 05:26:40 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: June 16, 2014, 07:55:16 am »

Thanks for all the advice.
I think I have a basic idea on how to use them now.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: June 16, 2014, 09:20:40 am »

Sounds like it'd be fairly amusing. Can't help but wonder if it'd be a good idea to just go directly at the source and adjust costs instead of finagling with custom sites, though. That would let you be a lot more versatile about where/who is, well, where and doing what.

How would you deal with the freespawn nations, though? Mod in low cost or costless recruitment for 'em? Units with dom or active summoning? Just disable the sad buggers? And those poor underwater nations... give everything amphibious, maybe, and just sprinkle water provinces around? Also maybe some caves. Somewhere.

Also, flying/teleporting/offensive ritual spells/etc. Honor system, mod out, let the shenanigans flow free, something else? Gods know one of my first thoughts with a blood nation would be to take my massive income, hire up a crapton of toad rain capable casters, and blanket everyone else's provinces with crippling income penalties :P

Similarly, anything with ready access to pop killing spells would just be, like, "Allz y'all get rekt, lololololol" and then walk into the center after everyone else has lost their entire income base.

E: Though in immediate retrospect, that might be a good argument in favor of cost adjustment instead of anything province based. Less room for chicanery.
Or make a "hill" region rather than a hill province, either at the hill itself or a conduit of provinces leading in - one large enough that they can't just throw rituals over it at a whim (4-6 provinces).  That way, if they want to hit you with rituals, sure, but they'll need to station all of those casters in hitting range.  That would also solve the flying issue. 

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: June 17, 2014, 02:11:19 am »

Quote from: a Dev in the Official forum
Expect a patch in the upcoming week. [...] Ragha and Caelum are more or less finished now.
Notice the singular "week".
Happy ! :D

Improved and balanced Caelum, a new nation, and multiple event/throne fixes !
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 236