Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 521109 times)

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #810 on: August 02, 2014, 11:20:02 am »

Wow, that seems really nice.
The textures seems a bit weird, though. without selecting the different ones, I thought the yellow where wastelands (they see mdesert-ish), the dark-green were forests, and the current forest were farm/wastelands...
You may also want to give it a few rivers (from lakes to oceans) to add bleu links, and the lack of mountains realyl is disturbing. I think there could be some at some points where skulls meet. Also, there could be some giant cliffs (used as mountain passes) between skulls, where you can thee se shadow from one into another.

Last thing, I have a problem with the sea provinces in the north-south wrapping : http://puu.sh/aBEz2/afda0b49b3.jpg

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: August 03, 2014, 12:12:23 am »

Wow, that seems really nice.
The textures seems a bit weird, though. without selecting the different ones, I thought the yellow where wastelands (they see mdesert-ish), the dark-green were forests, and the current forest were farm/wastelands...
You may also want to give it a few rivers (from lakes to oceans) to add bleu links, and the lack of mountains realyl is disturbing. I think there could be some at some points where skulls meet. Also, there could be some giant cliffs (used as mountain passes) between skulls, where you can thee se shadow from one into another.

Last thing, I have a problem with the sea provinces in the north-south wrapping : http://puu.sh/aBEz2/afda0b49b3.jpg

I decided to take your critique about my textures to heart, and spent about an hour really working at getting something nice up. Left the forests alone for now (I don't hate them, although I don't love them either.) But I'm really happy with the way the new farms, marshes, and wastelands came out (IMO, of course.)

Fixed two provinces that were missing connections with their local sea. Added one more waste (before there were just the two next to each other, which limits their use for nations that care about that sort of thing.) and one more farmland.

Debated about adding in some rivers and/or mountains. Haven't decided yet.

The Northern/Southern sea is a little odd looking, but the connections are correct. I was trying to cut down on the number of sea provinces, but I might cut the one you pointed out in half (horizontally) so it doesn't look quite so odd. Adding provinces gives me nightmares though. I had to add in like 5 provinces that I'd missed in my other map (one at the time, as I noticed them, even worse) - even trying to use the tools that the map editor gives you, it would completely break like 1/2 the map's connections.

Anyway, new version is up at the same link as before. New preview looks like this:

edit: (don't feel like bumping this topic just for stuff about my map)
Added some nostarts (especially for water provinces) - a second water nation is, statistically speaking, probably going to pop up around the broken western skull. Also, since I got some comments about my colors being a bit garish, I've toned down the default green of normal provinces and the blue of the seas. Oh - and I fooled around with the forest texture.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 08:43:28 am by AlStar »

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: August 03, 2014, 02:03:52 am »

Oh, by the way, you may want to add soem "nostart" tags to provinces with a very low number of neighbours.
I don't know whether that wasa start provinces you specified, but I had a LA Abysia spawn on the "nose" of the western skull (in the preview), the province with only 1 land neighbour... :/

Endymion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: August 07, 2014, 06:41:53 pm »

So, semi-shameless semi-self-promotion time.

Of late I've been hanging out with a steam group that does dominions 4 stuff, and have ended up in 2 different games with them. They're a tad faster than I remember the games on here going (28 hour turns seem to be the norm), and the group gets quick blitz games going every now and then as well. So if you're looking for games a bit faster paced then the ones around here, feel free to join us by getting into the steam chat for the group. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/clockworkforest

Honestly, this is posted in part because we could use a few subs in one of our games right now, a 24 player disciple game (8 teams of 3). It is also worth mentioning that all the group's games take place on a dedicated server instead of llama server. Admittedly it is a tad annoying to not have all the old turns archived for reference, but it is nice to not deal with moving around files manually.
Watching Wizard of Oz while listening to Dark Side of the Moon on shuffle.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: August 08, 2014, 04:16:14 am »

I think it's good to let people know about alternatives to llamaserver, some people seem to really dislike the PBEM aspect of most MP games. Anything that nets the greater Dom community more players is good in my book.

I'm not too fond of blitzing though and my plate is pretty full as is.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: August 08, 2014, 06:15:36 am »

some people seem to really dislike the PBEM aspect of most MP games.

It is what honestly killed MP for me in dominions 3... But I think what I should have done is find ways to make it faster.

It was just a lot of work for what was going to just be me losing for hours and hours and hours.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 06:18:57 am by Neonivek »

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: August 08, 2014, 07:16:47 am »

PBEM  ?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: August 08, 2014, 07:27:12 am »

Play by E-Mail. More info, if desired.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: August 10, 2014, 07:47:36 pm »

So, it's that time of the week again: New map time!
The Clockworks (153 land, 21 sea)

Full Image Link: HERE

This time I bring you the Clockworks, a huge collection of gears that floats in the void (I tried a bunch of different backgrounds, but just kept going back to base grey - everything else looked too busy), waiting for someone to conquer it.

153 land, 21 sea.
The map wraps vertically.
Instead of going with defined start locations this time around, I just nostarted everything that looked like a poor start.
No defined throne positions.
There's just barely enough room for a single water nation in the "lake" near the center. I certainly wouldn't recommend trying to squish two in there.

Map is available HERE.

As a side note - a smart man would have colorized the gears _before_ he built the map; I am not a smart man. The only benefit of this is that the fancy 'jeweled' provinces all have unique color schemes, which looks pretty, but has no effect on the game. (I considered making them places of power, but thought that might overload the map with magic sites.)

Side note the second - I've got a PBEM game set up to run on the skull map up at the top of this page that's still looking for two players. First come, first serve: HERE.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: August 10, 2014, 07:51:55 pm »

That is one crazy-looking map.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: August 10, 2014, 08:10:57 pm »

... would definitely suggest, at the least, a darker shade of grey. Or black, dark blue, something less contrast-y and stark. I feel a headache coming on just looking at the preview, nevermind actually spending hours playing the map ;_;
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: August 15, 2014, 03:48:33 am »

Okay, I'm looking for 1-2 subs. I have someone on standby, and looking if he' going to sub, but I'm basically in a game on the Desura forums, and my team had effectivly gone into a communications blackout for one reason or another, with one of them not turning 20 turns in total. We've got Pythium, which is in a better situation, and we've got Vanarus, who's the one gone 20 turns, but is in one of the most defensible locations on the map. If you think you can sub for one or both, lemme know.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: August 18, 2014, 10:40:50 am »

In case anyone is interested and doesn't skulk around the official forums, the devs announced the major content portions of the next patch (which is well underway if the dev notes are anything to judge by): one new single-era nation of ancestor-worshipping (okay, ancestor-ruled) Incan Caelians (so decadent mummified winged men leading non-mummified winged men and their normal human vassals) - with a pile of expensive undead recruitables, apparently, plus newfangled mummy mechanics tailored around them - and three eras of zotz, with more details to come on precisely how those will shape up.

So more fliers, and also a second subterranean nation.

The continued and intense support and ongoing development is hardly surprising given the prior games, but yeah, good stuff.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: August 24, 2014, 03:30:00 pm »

Llamaserver is back online again it seems, although nobody knows how long it will take it to work though it's backlog of turns and it that will go smoothly.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: August 24, 2014, 03:35:52 pm »

game 409's turn was sent, but not the others.
As admin of 408, I may force the turn hosting tomorrow, if most other games don't move (after all, the quickturn doesn't launch a turn if the last player sent his turn while it was off) or/and if there is no message about that from llamabeast ;)
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 236