Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 521518 times)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #885 on: September 22, 2014, 05:42:00 am »

So... Now that Round 4.04 is finished, I have to ask. Will we be starting a new Disciples game anytime soon? Because I'm rather sad that I had to drop out of 4.04, and wouldn't mind playing in a new round. Or are we going to try that Nationgen idea that people were talking about eariler? I just really want to play more Doms right now. Is that too much to ask?

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: September 22, 2014, 05:48:54 am »

Since 408 apparently upped the turn timer permanently (if it didn't, it might as well since we're almost at 40 turns played), I should have enough time to play a nationgen game. I hear Albright got his hands on the source for nationgen and he wants to do some fixing on that, but I don't know if he's actually able to, and if he is how fast. So we could just start the nationgen this/next week as far as I'm concerned.

I could make the thread some time today unless people jump the gun and get a new disciple thing going.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: September 22, 2014, 06:03:49 am »

Ah, alright. I guess I'll curb my enthusaism for now. I did find a nationgen nation I wanted to experiment with Think LA Caelum but with worse units and better mages but if Albright is tinkering with the source code I'll probably have to find something else to play as. We'll just have to wait and see.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: September 22, 2014, 06:13:04 am »

I guess we'll wait until Albright replies here. If he's got something concrete in the works, we can wait. If he's still only appraising the code we might be in for a long wait, might as well start a new game now in that case.

I'd like to put the thread up in any case, unless someone else fancies the fabled ivory tower that is to admin a Dom game :P

I'll be generating some nations in the meanwhile.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: September 22, 2014, 06:58:48 am »

I'm poking and prodding. I'll probably take a serious look (as opposed to the casual looks I've previously done) tonight, since my Dom4 time is no longer being eaten by 404. The code is fairly clean, but it's still fairly complicated and I'm still fairly rusty. I'd not say you should delay in hopes of me doing any miracles, and the miracles I'd want to do you might or might not notice anyway. My list of "OMG this is a huge issue that I desperately want fixed!!!!!1!" things is probably full of stuff you've never encountered, mostly because it's limitations on nation developers rather than casual users.

OTOH, if anyone just wants to add a bunch more naming data and roughly-finished-but-not-to-the-standard-I-actually-wanted Amazons, that's all straightforward data modding and I could throw that at everyone immediately since it's done. Or "done", anyway; everything else I wanted to do with it needed code changes. But as long as everyone is using the same data set, and the same .jar, seeds will all be compatible.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: September 22, 2014, 07:09:33 am »

I... wouldn't mind setting up the thread for the nationgen game. It's mostly just copying junk from the other Doms threads, adding in info on Nationgen, and setting up the game on llamaserver, correct? Plus I think that the names/descriptions that nationgen generates are junk, so if I was admin I could always edit in something more sensical before I distribute the mod...

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: September 22, 2014, 07:19:57 am »

I... wouldn't mind setting up the thread for the nationgen game. It's mostly just copying junk from the other Doms threads, adding in info on Nationgen, and setting up the game on llamaserver, correct? Plus I think that the names/descriptions that nationgen generates are junk, so if I was admin I could always edit in something more sensical before I distribute the mod...

Sorry, way ahead of you. But you can be a co-admin if you like watching people's turn submissions.
Anyone who expressed interest, please go to the linked thread and confirm your interest or disinterest in some nationgen MP shenanigans.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: September 23, 2014, 08:53:27 am »

Now I'm stuck with
Traces of the Old Magic has emerged in a remote village. A young girl has the Witches Mark upon her! Perhaps it would be wise to send a Magister of Theology, lest her power grows, or perhaps one of the Arcane to find out more.
and had a Magister Arcane Search, Patrol and Wait in that province for 6 turns with no results.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: September 23, 2014, 09:10:30 am »

Reports suggest this event chain is broken in the current version, though they're not 100% consistent.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: September 23, 2014, 10:22:07 am »

Just peeking around, so rivers can freeze now?

I really enjoyed dom3 and bought it, but dom4 is still 25 € for... the same thing? What else is new besides some interface changes?

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: September 23, 2014, 10:37:41 am »

New nations, bit of new spells and items, more events, including story events (having you make choices and get rewards for doing things), thrones for new type of victory, more modable, and the whole rivers that freeze with cold and mountain pass that thaw with heat, ....
Things things things ! :D

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: September 23, 2014, 10:45:09 am »

If you play multiplayer the main reason to buy it is two fold
1) You can play a character on the same nation as another.
and
2) The game has a method to win the game... without needing everyone to surrender.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: September 23, 2014, 10:54:41 am »

That seems nice - is MP still dominated by SC? Anything op? Might pay up just to be in another mp game with ya all.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: September 23, 2014, 11:03:08 am »

I think the early game (non-supercombatant, non-mages destroy everything) phase is supposed to last a little longer, although I'm not sure if that ended up actually being the case.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: September 23, 2014, 11:23:01 am »

Hmmm... I'd say that was the case. For a couple more turns, at least. Really, the biggest changes that I can think of between Dom 3 and Dom 4 is that gem generating items only give temporary gems now, and hammers only knock off 2 gems instead of a percentage. Which means that gems are worth much, more than before, which reduces the amount of SCs running around and makes your mages much more valuable. Since they'll be doing most of the heavy lifting in the late game, when everybody has forts everywhere and can spit units out like crazy. Assuming that they have the gold/resources, of course.

Mind you, my Dom 3 experience has entirely been limited to reading a few LPs, so take the above with a grain of salt. Then again, those LPs had them spending gems like it was nothing in the late game, while I've never seen anybody do that in the Dom 4 games I've participated in.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 236