Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 516497 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #90 on: June 28, 2013, 10:15:43 am »

Eh, kids these days.

With their vulgar slang, baggy pants and lack of appreciation for email-based entertainment!
Word.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 28, 2013, 11:43:21 am »

I just started using the play by email but it not that bad way better then having to show up at a certain time to play.
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

TheMastermind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 09, 2013, 02:40:29 pm »

Some updates on their site:
http://www.illwinter.com/dom4/index.html

Says it's expected to be completed in late August, also may be soon available for pre-order on Desura.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 09, 2013, 02:45:19 pm »

It's extremely difficult to find working mods for new versions of Dominions 3, I've found. :/ Might have to use an older update to be able to use the mods that make the game a much better experience. I figured the Dominions 4 announcement would kick some updates along but nope.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

TheMastermind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 17, 2013, 03:08:25 pm »

The game is available for pre order for desura. Where it says the price is going to be 35$ (30$ for pre orderers), and a release date of 31 aug.
http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 17, 2013, 03:30:41 pm »

Looking forward to getting a bay12 team match up and running!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 17, 2013, 03:53:43 pm »

While I'm thrilled by new Dominions content...

I can't help but feel like they're cashing in, again, on most of the base code for Dom 3. Very little actually looks different in those screen shots. And while it seems like the nations and spell lists have grown dramatically...and units seem to be slightly higher res.....I dunno. At least they're not charging $50 for what is starting to look like Dominions 3.5.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 03:55:19 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 17, 2013, 03:59:51 pm »

While I'm thrilled by new Dominions content...

I can't help but feel like they're cashing in, again, on most of the base code for Dom 3. Very little actually looks different in those screen shots. And while it seems like the nations and spell lists have grown dramatically...and units seem to be slightly higher res.....I dunno. At least they're not charging $50 for what is starting to look like Dominions 3.5.
I don't think much of the actual work will show up graphically. Formations and teamplay seem like the two biggest additions to me, and there's some other interesting stuff there as well.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 17, 2013, 06:14:14 pm »

I feel a bit better about after reading the important changes. A lot of the changes were things I'd wanted out of Dom3. I'm just wondering if the late game balance issues have really changed, or if the design has shifted at all. I'm hoping there's either a Steam or a standalone option at some point.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 20, 2013, 11:53:03 am »

There's some new information here.

Notably, there's a pile of interface improvements. Just look at all those beautiful improvements. And I hear the UI's moddable, too.

Grand Nagus

• Bay Watcher
  • A Ferengi without profit is no Ferengi at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 20, 2013, 12:17:17 pm »

Illwinter, please bow down and let us throw our money at you. I think I speak for everyone.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 20, 2013, 12:31:31 pm »

Illwinter, please bow down and let us throw our money at you. I think I speak for everyone.
Don't worry, you can do that already.

Also, another article and some gameplay footage.

In more saddening news, reverse communions are no more. Slaves now cannot act at all when a master is present, and will suffer backlash if a master dies or retreats. I guess turbo communions are the new order of the day, then.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 20, 2013, 01:58:16 pm »

hmm i think i would have jumped on the preorder and i love Dom3 it just seems like not much has really changed for dom4
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 21, 2013, 02:46:57 am »

There's some new information here.

Notably, there's a pile of interface improvements. Just look at all those beautiful improvements. And I hear the UI's moddable, too.

Variable formations.  Detailed casualty listings.  Rivers and mountain passes that affect strategic movement.  I am so totally in love right now. ^_^

The real thing I'm worried about, though, is still late-game micro issues.  Managing hordes of research mages using gem generator artifacts of various types was not entertaining (in fact, it was so not-entertaining that CBM converted many gem generators to unique artifacts just so players didn't feel obligated to pop out dozens of Clams of Pearls solely to keep up with their Astral Gem production), and that renaming mages just to see their paths at a glance (rather than having to painstakingly click through each one to find the one with the right paths to cast whatever latest ritual spell you had researched) was a critical step in easing that micromanagement pain.  A checkbox or some other way to automatically dump a mage's gems into lab storage every turn and some way to see a mage's paths from the main screen would greatly ease both of those issues. 

EDIT: And I just reread the second article Boksi linked more carefully.  Goodbye, A2W2S1N1, and good riddance! :D
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 03:06:09 am by Culise »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 21, 2013, 03:08:08 am »

*coughs* The desura page has screenshots with mage paths visible on the main screen. Right under where the items would normally show, iirc.

Yes to auto-pool (particularly useful if they keep the blood hunting mechanics similar to what they are in D3), though. That and multiple-provice movement commands would be up there on my hoped-for UI improvements. Rally points would be nice, too~

I mean, an ideal for me would be able to set a commander+minion setup (with a set command for the commander to do while waiting for its troops to finish building, if necessary), and then tell it to go to X province (possibly via spell, if the commander's capable of it). And the commander'd just... start heading that way once its got the troops you queued up for it. All in pre-defined formations and everything. Double-plus bonus if you could set that on an empire wide basis, at least the formation+troop composition.

Similarly, having thug or SC templates would be goddamn awesome, doubly so if you can just click on one and it'd draw from available mages automatically. Like, you'd click on a province, click on a caster's commands, and one of them would be something like "SC Loadout" or some thematically appropriate nonsense. When you clicked on that and the desired template, the caster you're issuing the command to would do the summon, and idle mages (researching or actually idle ones, basically) elsewhere in your empire would go ahead and forge all the items you want for it. You'd have something similar for recruited critters. And you'd make the template straight from the chassis's status screen, dynamically, so you could see exactly what it'd look like at the end, as well as the full list of what your nation is capable of forging.

Just... something like that.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 236