Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 517457 times)

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« on: June 18, 2013, 09:56:30 am »

From the Steam page:

You are a God! You are master and ruler of a loyal nation. You have unimaginable powers at your disposal. You have claimed this world as yours. But there are others who stand in your way. You must defeat and destroy these pretenders. Only then can you ascend to godhood and become the new Pantokrator.

In Dominions you take control of a powerful being that rules a nation and aspires to godhood. The type of Pretender Gods can vary from magically powerful arch mages to huge titans or large monuments. The pretender gods have different strengths dependent on what kind of god you choose and what nation you play.

When you start the game you decide what kind of god you are and how your Dominion affects your lands and followers. It is an expression of your divine might and the faith of your followers. If your dominion dies, so do you. Your dominion also inspires your sacred warriors and gives them powers derived from your dominion.

In order to win and become the one true god you have to defeat your enemies one of three different ways: conquer their lands, extinguish their dominion or claim the Thrones of Ascension.

In Dominions 4 you can also play team games where one of the players take the role of supreme god, and the other members of the team are his servants and loyal subjects. The lesser gods rule their nations, but you all share the dominion of the supreme god.

Dominions is set in a fantasy world that draws inspiration from historical nations, cultures and myths. You will not encounter the elves of conventional fantasy in this game. Instead you might lead a nation of vanir from old norse myth. Aztecs, romans, israelites, greeks, shona and kievian rus are just a few of the inspirational sources of the game.

The first Dominions game was released in 2002 and was well received by strategy gamers. Since then Dominions has been much refined and Dominions series is still actively played making it one of the longest running 4x turn based strategy games.

Dominions 4 is also a highly moddable game. You can create your own monsters, spells and entire nations. Since Dominions 3 there has been a vivid modding community and Dominions 4 will enhance this capability even further.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 04:17:11 pm by Wiles »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 10:21:29 am »

!!!!

In classic Illwinter style, their announcement looks like it was made in 1992.

Thrilled to hear a new one is coming though.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 10:21:51 am »

Nice
(PTW)
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 10:22:08 am »

Oh god want so bad here is hoping it has even more stuff than the third one !
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 10:23:10 am »

The only thing I can hope for is better AI :P Exciting. Dom 3 was loads of fun.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 10:57:38 am »

Ooooh. I like the modern graphics.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 11:04:30 am »

If there's one thing I want out of the game, it's for the end-game to be less micro-intensive. I feel like the game needs some sort of cap on army leaders, so you value the ones you have more instead of just cranking out 1000s of expendable leaders to command huge armies of needless troops. It's like the game requires that to wage a successful war, but toward the end game it all becomes overkill.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 11:09:07 am »

There could be a lot done in the smoothening realm.  I could usually do pretty well in AI games (not quite as well in multiplayer) up until the mid-game or so and things just got so complicated I'd get a headache and I practically needed to make an itinerary just to play my turn.
Shoes...

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 11:13:54 am »

Maybe this one will get on steam along with 3.
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 11:38:55 am »

There could be a lot done in the smoothening realm.  I could usually do pretty well in AI games (not quite as well in multiplayer) up until the mid-game or so and things just got so complicated I'd get a headache and I practically needed to make an itinerary just to play my turn.

Yeah, pretty much this. And at about the half way point, a lot of the compelling factors of the game stop mattering. When you've searched half the map for sites with a rainbow mage, none of the new ones really benefit you anymore. While I appreciate how open-ended Dom 3 is with the rules and limitations, sometimes I think the game would be more fun to play with a few more limitations in place. Less is more, and all that.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 11:58:04 am »

Honestly, just a few automation methods stuck into the UI would have done a... lot. Loopable building queues (which part of would be pre-setting commanders, what they're leading, and orders. This would also incorporate summons on all levels.), multi-province move orders (waypoint/rally commands), auto-site search, auto-scout (possible auto-assassinate!), nation wide order changing (say I want to change 1/3rd my <casters> to one set of spells, 1/2 to a different one, and the rest to something else, in one go or have all my <commanders> with >X units or leading Y unit type start moving towards province <whatever>... stuff like that)... just general tedium/micro removal. Don't even have to simplify the systems involved, just the means of using them.

My biggest complaint with Dom 3 has always been that it doesn't really give you the toolset to elegantly manage the game later on -- it's not that a toolset couldn't be made to do so, it's just that there wasn't one. Dom 3's biggest problem is UI.

Sideline a few things to encourage mid-late game usage (continued searching, etc. Make sites synergistic on a nation level somehow, so every extra one adds something potentially useful/possibly gamechanging instead of just more gems, stuff like that.) and it'd clean up the game a lot without having to sacrifice complexity or introduce more limitations.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2013, 12:14:21 pm »

Awesome! I really hope it will have a working diplomacy system - so you can give right of military passage to allies etc. Lacking that, along with SC-heavy late game, are my pet peeves regarding Dom3.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2013, 01:29:43 pm »

Looking forward to hearing more about this.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Bitoru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2013, 01:54:31 pm »

OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2013, 02:21:46 pm »

Honestly, just a few automation methods stuck into the UI would have done a... lot. Loopable building queues (which part of would be pre-setting commanders, what they're leading, and orders. This would also incorporate summons on all levels.), multi-province move orders (waypoint/rally commands), auto-site search, auto-scout (possible auto-assassinate!), nation wide order changing (say I want to change 1/3rd my <casters> to one set of spells, 1/2 to a different one, and the rest to something else, in one go or have all my <commanders> with >X units or leading Y unit type start moving towards province <whatever>... stuff like that)... just general tedium/micro removal. Don't even have to simplify the systems involved, just the means of using them.

My biggest complaint with Dom 3 has always been that it doesn't really give you the toolset to elegantly manage the game later on -- it's not that a toolset couldn't be made to do so, it's just that there wasn't one. Dom 3's biggest problem is UI.

Sideline a few things to encourage mid-late game usage (continued searching, etc. Make sites synergistic on a nation level somehow, so every extra one adds something potentially useful/possibly gamechanging instead of just more gems, stuff like that.) and it'd clean up the game a lot without having to sacrifice complexity or introduce more limitations.

so true, late game turns are usually 90% setting build orders the same as last turn and moving units one province closer to the province they were already heading for for the last 4 turns. Having the ability to MOVE troops without commander in friendly provinces would also really help, requiring a commander to even move adds nothing but tedious and no-brainer micro.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 236