Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 517545 times)

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2013, 04:11:18 pm »

.... Ooooooooh yes.

Yes yes yes

I chose an awesome time to manage to get a job.

I will preorder this shit as soon as it is possible if it is possible. *o*
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2013, 04:16:21 pm »

If this has a Fantasy Era (Or Shattered Timeline Era)... It becomes a must buy for me.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2013, 06:47:22 pm »

I hope you can fire units you don't want anymore.
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2013, 06:52:24 pm »

I'd like proper tactical combat. Please, make my dreams come true forever Dom4. I love you.
Few things would be nearly as capable of potentially killing the game for me in one go. Dominions is one of the few standouts still remaining of the Ogre Battle ethos to combat, and by the gods I want more of that. We don't have nearly enough.
I'd like to have direct tactical control over one unit, my pretender. If my pretender casts a spell that lets him/her/it assume direct control of a unit they should be player controlled too, but nothing else. Maybe the ability to give simple orders like in Mount and Blade if my pretender is in a battle or magically controlling a commander in that battle.

I'd also like to be able to either order mages to not cast certain spells when in battle, have units undeadified during battle stick around, or be able to re-undeadify bodies that were undeadified during battle after they collapse once the battle is over.

Also, shattered timeline idea is awesome.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2013, 07:27:44 pm »

Also, shattered timeline idea is awesome

Thanks, I was worried no one would read it.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2013, 08:43:14 pm »

Are you aware this exists, Neonivek? It'd probably be easy to do for 4 as well.

I'd like to have direct tactical control over one unit, my pretender. If my pretender casts a spell that lets him/her/it assume direct control of a unit they should be player controlled too, but nothing else. Maybe the ability to give simple orders like in Mount and Blade if my pretender is in a battle or magically controlling a commander in that battle.

I'd also like to be able to either order mages to not cast certain spells when in battle, have units undeadified during battle stick around, or be able to re-undeadify bodies that were undeadified during battle after they collapse once the battle is over.

If you mean direct control during a battle there's zero chance of that happening. It would completely break the way the game works. A greater range of orders that could be given to commanders would be nice though.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 08:49:41 pm by Karlito »
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2013, 09:30:30 pm »

Are you aware this exists, Neonivek?

I am aware it just has several problems on its own.
1) It doesn't work on certain maps
2) Several of the same faction has large issues
and
3) Because it is a mod it isn't in common use.
4) It uses "early era" rules as well. It isn't a true combined Era.

It is something that needs to be added in an official capacity or it just doesn't work as well as it should.

Mind you that is if you are doing a "just mod it in" response. If you aren't then here is my other response

I just think the developer could do it much better then any modder could. As well there is just more you could do with a Shattered Timeline Era then just add in all the factions. As well if this era is in the game "officially" then it can be used in more official games.

How many of the 14 rounds have used the All in One mod? If there was a Shattered Timeline Era in Dominions 3 I am sure we would be seeing a lot more of it.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 09:40:29 pm by Neonivek »

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2013, 10:37:36 pm »

The problem with the all in one mod (and with a theoretical all-nations-playable mod) is that balance is just completely broken. Balance is already not great in Dominions, but that mod destroys it to the point on uselessness in most cases (mostly when you start looking at things like how capitals generate different amounts of gems in different ages and how mages are overall much more powerful in EA than LA, among other things). Also it tends to lead to games that are unfeasible because if you want all of the nations available you either end up with 2 R'lyehs, 2-3 Ermors, and a few other nations if you have a small group (where I guess balance is decently preserved, but that's... not a very fun game for many people) or you have a game with 10+ players, which rapidly decays into staled turns and missing players.

It's possible, but you would have to build the nations from the ground up with that in mind. I guess that makes it a job better suited for the developers, but it also means that it's more difficult to give nations a unique identity in different ages. It's... honestly not worth the effort.

All that said, I really like the idea of alternate timeline version of nations. LA Ermor that beat the curse, LA Caelum with their divine influence intact, maybe a MA or LA R'lyeh with more aboleths (I was always a little sad that the giant fish pretty much disappeared when the squidfaces showed up).
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2013, 10:58:53 pm »

maybe a MA or LA R'lyeh with more aboleths

It would probably be a alternate timeline where a different Great Old One took over instead because Cthulhu was sealed, possibly by another faction, and Abthoth grew in power and took over instead. With a focus on the deep sea.

I honestly hope Yog-Slothoth becomes a Pretender.

mostly when you start looking at things like how capitals generate different amounts of gems in different ages and how mages are overall much more powerful in EA than LA, among other things

And that is probably what would most have to be balanced by the developers.

Weird aimless brainstorming in spoiler
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 11:45:24 pm by Neonivek »

TheMastermind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2013, 03:52:17 am »

Hey dudes, they just posted the upcoming improvements compared to dom 3
http://www.illwinter.com/dom4/index.html

Here's a short list with the most important changes compared to Dominions 3.
Teamplay, one pretender and one or more disciples per team.
Thrones of Ascension. Claim thrones to gain extra powers and to win the game eventually.
Many sprites have been redrawn and the 3d terrain is also improved.
Many user interface improvements.
Formations like line formation or skirmish formation.
Improved random map generation with wraparound maps, caves, rivers and mountain passes.
Rivers that can only be passed when frozen, mountain passes that can only be passed by special units and when it's warm.
Pierce, slash and blunt weapons have slightly different quirks. E.g. don't shoot arrows at skeletons.
Darkness and dark vision plays a more important role. Notably in deep seas, caves and sometimes during assassinations.
Range restrictions on magic rituals and items and spells that can be used to boost ritual ranges.
Improved network support, turns can be resumed from any computer and turns can be marked as only half finished.
Global random events
Can build castle improvements like extra towers or extra supply storage
Province Defence dependent on the local population and some nations have easier or harder to organize it.
Improvements to AI and to modding.
Many new monsters, spells, magic items, sites, random events and some nations too.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2013, 09:25:32 am »

Definitely like the idea of Team play! I can see that being fun where the more experienced players take on the role of pretender and newer players are their disciples.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2013, 09:38:03 am »

Many user interface improvements.

We can only hope...
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2013, 10:11:20 am »

Sounds like they're polishing up Dom 3 instead of going in a completely new direction. Which is great, all I've wanted is more of the awesomeness I got in Dom 3.

Can build castle improvements like extra towers or extra supply storage
Province Defence dependent on the local population and some nations have easier or harder to organize it.

Really happy about these two.
#1 because the act of fortifying was boring and didn't offer any real customization or unique advantages. You were just stuck with the kind of fortress the terrain allowed, and you'd have a lab and temple because why not? Hoping this lead to more trade offs and choices, and not more of Dom 3's "build everything everywhere because yes."

#2 because Province Defense was way overpowered in single player. A region with 1000 people could hold off the best the AI could throw at them if you maxed out province defense. Now there will be actual weak points in your provinces, subject to events and such.

Also I'm hoping map gen is slightly improved, to the degree you don't end up with "Land War in Asia" all the time. It'd be nice to not have to gen 20 maps at 8 minutes a piece before I find one I like.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2013, 10:27:39 am »

well, you seem fine with one map in fifteen-thirty minutes, from the forum you're on, so maybe they'll go with that ;p
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2013, 10:30:22 am »

well, you seem fine with one map in fifteen-thirty minutes, from the forum you're on, so maybe they'll go with that ;p

Touche. Then again, Dom isn't quite at the level of DF.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 236