Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 517482 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #75 on: June 25, 2013, 07:47:46 pm »

Ermor... doesn't have versatile or strong troops, at least in LA, and while it's got strong death, it doesn't have strong anything else.

It has, other advantages unique to it and only it. Hence why Ermor is the earliest "Win condition" faction (mostly because they spin out of control)

They do rely on map size though. I cannot imagine Ermor winning on a small map.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 25, 2013, 07:57:25 pm »

I do sometimes wish that other nations had game play changes as drastic as Ermor and Rlyeh (and I guess that nation that needs to blood sacrifice to spread dominion) . They just have so much more flavor than a lot of the other nations.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 25, 2013, 08:01:03 pm »

Yeah it is especially odd for the races that sort of would SEEM like they would be different, but they just have a few unique units and are otherwise the same.

"Wow, a race of titans!"
"Ohh... they have... a few giant units... that have too many weaknesses to be helpful"
"Ohhh... the internet doesn't have any strategies for using them because they are low on the tier list"

It is especially funny with the races that can't even use their own advantages.

It would be nice is more factions/nations felt more different from one another.

-I also hope they let you mix up strategies. Like being able to tell your archers to fire on the closest group until they get into melee with your own units.
-Races should be more differentiated then even as they currently are.
-Also MUCH MORE underwater Pretenders. I know no one uses more then... well 5 pretenders, but come on!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 08:17:57 pm by Neonivek »

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 25, 2013, 09:18:56 pm »

Teamplay WOOT WOOT! Can't wait for armies of Abyssians bumping fists with them frosty Jotuns.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Endymion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 25, 2013, 11:23:09 pm »

Personally I hope there is more modability in the engine. Like proper item modding and such. So that the balance can be fixed over time by a large group of players.... can't put it all on the dev to balance all this stuff.

Anyways, I sorta think there is a lot of variety in the nations. Leaps and bounds of it compared to any other 4X at least. R'yleh and Ermor being the obvious ones, but also pangaea, Agartha, and some of the other nations that have interesting quirks that lead to weird options, like Arco's Mind-hunt-spam.

I would say that one thing that would really help though would be better buff-spell targeting options in battle. So that I can tell my mages easily that I want this spell or that spell targetted on squad 1 or whatever. Even if it was just limitted to the mage's own squads that you could manually target.

Also-- add a 20 square strip in the middle of the battlefield. And increase ranges to compensate. Just a little something to allow magic more time to happen.
Watching Wizard of Oz while listening to Dark Side of the Moon on shuffle.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 26, 2013, 02:34:11 am »

It isn't the ones that are drastically different that have an issue it is the ones that are similar even though they should be different.

TheMastermind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 26, 2013, 01:01:40 pm »

Also magic items for independents would be awesome (Everyone loves LOOT)!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 26, 2013, 01:24:16 pm »

... more, anyway, perhaps. Dom 3 already had that to limited extents, heh. Was just fairly rare.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 26, 2013, 03:26:57 pm »

I'd love if we got more control over our armies during combat. Its not that I dislike the current system, I just feel it  could be less simplistic and that way more could be done with it. Of course improved AI is greatly apreciated when multiplayer isn't an option, and maybe an actual diplomacy system so that we can interact with AI nations in ways other then total war. That would be specialy useful during multiplayer games in which a player becomes unable to continue playing and has to set his nation to AI.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 26, 2013, 06:31:41 pm »

I'd love if we got more control over our armies during combat. Its not that I dislike the current system, I just feel it  could be less simplistic and that way more could be done with it. Of course improved AI is greatly apreciated when multiplayer isn't an option, and maybe an actual diplomacy system so that we can interact with AI nations in ways other then total war. That would be specialy useful during multiplayer games in which a player becomes unable to continue playing and has to set his nation to AI.
It would also certainly make single player more interesting.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 27, 2013, 03:28:49 pm »

... more, anyway, perhaps. Dom 3 already had that to limited extents, heh. Was just fairly rare.

In B12gameround12 one of my commanders found a cursed knife from a bloodhenge druid. Since it automatically equips it, it's stuck to his hand forever. You would think you'd have one of your speartroops pick it up before you when you find a weapon in a world that has cursed ones.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 27, 2013, 05:33:30 pm »

Doms 3. was a decent game but sadly it's only for MP. I bought it, and I was extremely annoyed by the AI.
It was terrible at best. If the devs won't make it much better, I will skip this game. [...or at least they should support AI modding somehow?] I don't like PBEM multi games, and it's unplayable in hotseat mode, since it takes ages to complete a turn from mid game.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 05:35:53 pm by gimli »

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 28, 2013, 08:52:17 am »

I had fun in singleplayer, but mostly because I chose to. I would farm up a ton of provinces for gems and make fun super creatures or armies of fire summons following the balrog type guys that that mod added and shit.

I honestly don't care for PBEM multiplayer either, or any multiplayer game that takes literal months to run. Dull, dull, dull.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 28, 2013, 08:55:09 am »

Eh, kids these days.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 28, 2013, 10:01:32 am »

Eh, kids these days.

With their vulgar slang, baggy pants and lack of appreciation for email-based entertainment!
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 236