Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 520295 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #1830 on: December 27, 2015, 05:45:29 am »

Did they hack away for 50 turns straight? Attackers auto-rout at 50 turns, so unless they were berserk, they'd turn tail at that point.

Ah thank you.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: December 27, 2015, 01:18:06 pm »

Did they hack away for 50 turns straight? Attackers auto-rout at 50 turns, so unless they were berserk, they'd turn tail at that point.
Kinda makes me wonder what would happen if two Monuments ended up fighting at low magic levels. How long can the game go with two combatants that PHYSICALLY CANNOT rout, or do any damage to each other?

ULTIMATE STARE DOWN OF ULTIMATE DESTINY!
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: December 27, 2015, 01:26:00 pm »

I believe the limit is 99 turns, at which point the attacking force automatically dies.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: December 27, 2015, 01:54:35 pm »

No, when the turn-100-ish limit hits, everyone still on the field dies.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: December 27, 2015, 02:36:20 pm »

So now the question is what's immobile, probably mindless, and can be kitted out to teleport (or whatever your movement ritual of preference is, I guess) :V

... I will admit, I'm now imagining someone wishing up several (dozen) monoliths, splurging (more) gems on them to make them remote movement capable, and then dropping them all on someone's capital (preferably with an immobile pretender). "Rocks fall, everyone dies."
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: December 27, 2015, 03:21:49 pm »

You need S3 to cast teleport, so...

You could just summon a Golem (30 pearls) and give it a starshine skullcap (10 pearls). It's mindless so it shouldn't retreat.

Or if it really must be immobile, cast Telestic Animation (5 pearls), and then empower the resulting H2 statue to S2 (80 pearls!), and then give it a starshine skullcap (10 pearls). There's no way that would work well, though. It would just get wtfpwned unless it only ran into a couple dudes and soul slayed them before they could get close.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: December 27, 2015, 06:38:46 pm »

Monoliths aren't mindless, but that's actually good. Mindless units dissolve when they rout, so they can only make it to turn 50/75 (attacking/defending). You either need berserkers who won't pass out, or immobile mindful critters.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: December 30, 2015, 09:56:26 pm »

Is there a way to prevent Ermor and related nations from appearing in random nation selection on game creation? I'm sick of having them as a neighbor and having to devote my entire economy to countering them less being swarmed by hundreds of unrouting/ethreal units, and then having all my neighbors attacking me from behind, guaranteeing I lose.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: December 30, 2015, 10:10:49 pm »

You'd need to make a mod. It'd be a ridiculously simple mod, but there's no other way.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: December 31, 2015, 06:41:48 pm »

Incidentally, for anyone who's interested in this but found the $35 pricetag too steep, it's 50% off ($17.49) on Steam through January 4th.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: January 02, 2016, 07:41:44 pm »

Throughout my entire playing of this game, I have shoveled gems into enchantments and dispels and have never dispelled an enemy's enchantment, yet have had mine dispelled.

My most recent game had the fastest Burden of Time I have ever seen cast, yet many turns later, after I got enough gems to cast a dispel with 33 extra gems, it fails! It just does not seem reasonable that the AI could get that many gems in such a short amount of time to resist such a huge dispel, and I just blew all my gems. Wtf are you suppose to do when it's too risky to try to dispel an enchantment, but if you don't then you will lose the game?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: January 02, 2016, 07:52:37 pm »

Kill the caster?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: January 02, 2016, 07:59:08 pm »

Throughout my entire playing of this game, I have shoveled gems into enchantments and dispels and have never dispelled an enemy's enchantment, yet have had mine dispelled.

My most recent game had the fastest Burden of Time I have ever seen cast, yet many turns later, after I got enough gems to cast a dispel with 33 extra gems, it fails! It just does not seem reasonable that the AI could get that many gems in such a short amount of time to resist such a huge dispel, and I just blew all my gems. Wtf are you suppose to do when it's too risky to try to dispel an enchantment, but if you don't then you will lose the game?

Depending on the nation (Ermor for example) If they spend a decent amount of time saving their income and converting non-death gems to death gems they can dump an extra 30-50 gems into the spell. For Ermor 30 extra gems is just 2 turns of not spending just the portion of income they start with. Less if they have done any level of site searching.

I play Ermor a lot (sorry not sorry)
I've played a guitar with my penis.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: January 02, 2016, 08:08:30 pm »

You know why I don't like this game?

Because I feel that within a day I could design an interface that doesn't suck as hard as the one in Dominions.

All the potential the game has is ruined by a refusal of the makers to acknowledge the importance of a good user interface.

Does the game even have waypoints for move orders?
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: January 02, 2016, 08:13:47 pm »

You know why I don't like this game?

Because I feel that within a day I could design an interface that doesn't suck as hard as the one in Dominions.

All the potential the game has is ruined by a refusal of the makers to acknowledge the importance of a good user interface.

Does the game even have waypoints for move orders?

Have you played Dwarf Fortress?

In reality though, you're right. Everything seems like a hold over from the first game with only minor graphical and UI improvements.
I've played a guitar with my penis.
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 236