Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 517502 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #1875 on: January 08, 2016, 09:18:24 pm »

I could be wrong but I BELIEVE if you give mages just enough gems to complete a script they'll conserve them?  I never mastered that part of dominions, instead I give mages just enough to cast one or two spells and if I want more casts I bring more mages.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: January 08, 2016, 09:48:27 pm »

... man, someone remind me. Is there anything like CoE4's dopplegangers in Dom4? Something with a similar "Covert enemy units into an ever growing mass of regenerating chaff from range" thing going on. That... does it more passively than enslave or whatev'.

I vaguely recall some undead shenanigans along those lines -- conversion into souless -- but from what I remember most of them don't really stick around. Wondering if there's something out there that can actually reliably pull the trick to build up a chaff horde.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: January 08, 2016, 11:48:50 pm »

Believe it or not, but Conquest of Elysium was/is even more unbalanced than Dominions...

Actually, I can't think of any specific units that do that... There are various enchantments or dominion effects that will provide a similar effect of "your unit A turns into my unit B", but I at least don't remember any units that are specifically "contagious" in that way.

Doppelgangers were mean bastards...  Witches in general have some pretty hilarious stuff available to them, and on forested maps they just cackle and spew things everywhere.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: January 08, 2016, 11:56:35 pm »

I think there's a combat spell that raises things that die in battle as soulless, and there's a global ritual that gives your dominion asphodel's revive-corpses-as-manikins effect. Neither are really what you are asking for.

I've done the enslave thing with Kailasa's mages though, without communions. I really only needed one banner of the northern star, and a clam of pearls for each S2 mage (for Power of the Spheres, after which they were S4 for the battle). Any mages in the army that didn't have clams of pearls spammed soul slay instead. They were super-effective (combined with troops in front, of course, which came out mostly unharmed).

There's also the tartarian chains, but I've never seen their mind control effect trigger (because whatever they hit always died instead) - but I was putting them on things like iron angels or marble oracles, so they had tons of str and att. If you had shitty str but high pen, maybe you could actually control someone with them. Probably not the best plan, though.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: January 09, 2016, 12:25:04 am »

Believe it or not, but Conquest of Elysium was/is even more unbalanced than Dominions...
They both have the same problem where once you reach the end game some factions can enter combat with stuff that will stomp other factions regardless of relative resource count.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: January 09, 2016, 12:37:07 am »

That's a problem in the beginning of the game too, especially EA. :V

Giants with frost aura for example. Or troops which are fireball-throwing demons which turn into ethereal spirit forms if they "die," making them nigh-impossible to kill without massed magic (or fire bless).
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: January 09, 2016, 12:56:02 am »

Mmh.

I do feel that while the asymmetric factions kinda make the game, there could have been a bit more... restraint when it came to some of the gameplay features.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: January 09, 2016, 10:10:41 am »

Speaking of CoE, I played the 3rd one and it felt like a small slice of dominions pie. Is it really just a smaller game, or did I miss large amounts of content?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: January 09, 2016, 11:17:44 am »

Speaking of CoE, I played the 3rd one and it felt like a small slice of dominions pie. Is it really just a smaller game, or did I miss large amounts of content?
You missed the Demilich, that would become a pretender in Dominions 4.  He's awesome.
And lots of other content, although content is probably all that you missed.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: January 09, 2016, 11:23:02 am »

It really is a smaller game. However, CoE also has a lot of "hidden" content, like special rare encounters and interactions between some units and map sites. For the most part, however, it's just smaller and shorter.

That's a problem in the beginning of the game too, especially EA. :V

Giants with frost aura for example. Or troops which are fireball-throwing demons which turn into ethereal spirit forms if they "die," making them nigh-impossible to kill without massed magic (or fire bless).

I never really managed to get Yomi to work out all that well for me, honestly... The demons are ludicrously expensive, and although the chaos recruitment thing helps, I'm pretty sure that only has an effect on the "down payment", not the upkeep. And the upkeep will quickly soar to very unmanageable levels with a few troops... Also they can't hit a goddamn thing with those fireballs, haha.

When I *do* make them, I generally only go for Ao-Oni (which are absolute BEASTS in melee) and the, ah... Whatever the little ones are called. The little guys are basically the greatest lance catchers in the game and have ridiculous strength for their size, so they can actually smack down the expensive troops that're used to send them from form A to form B.

I've been trying desperately to find a strategy of bootstrapping them into blood magic, because I'm pretty sure Yomi's national spells can target non-oni demons, and having a horde of berserked, barkskinned imps sounds like a fun time to me.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: January 09, 2016, 12:19:36 pm »

You missed the Demilich, that would become a pretender in Dominions 4.  He's awesome.

Is he? I've tried him a bit, but I've never been able to get him to teleport to where I wanted him too, he'd always teleport to a random spot, even when the spot I wanted him to go to was filled with dead bodies. That lack of control (along with no other way to move) really ruins the demilich for me. It seems like a huge downgrade from the super awesome lich.

I think I stopped using the demilich after one time where I tried to move him to a spot with 200+ bodies, and instead he ended up like 1/5 of the map away in a dragon lair, which killed him and took my magic items, and then when he respawned I tried again, and he landed in the dragon lair again.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: January 09, 2016, 01:17:03 pm »

I have a ghost king pretender in an MP game, sitting in 9 candles. He's spawned/attracted only one ghost since breaking out of imprisonment. It's turn 65 now. 3 years would be 36 turns? So it's been roughly 30 turns that he's been free, and he's been in high dominion provinces the entire time.

Anyone know what's up with that?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: January 09, 2016, 02:13:30 pm »

I have a ghost king pretender in an MP game, sitting in 9 candles. He's spawned/attracted only one ghost since breaking out of imprisonment. It's turn 65 now. 3 years would be 36 turns? So it's been roughly 30 turns that he's been free, and he's been in high dominion provinces the entire time.

Anyone know what's up with that?
Answer: http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?showtopic=1987
Summary - The chance is just really low.  Seems relatively easy to mod, though.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: January 09, 2016, 02:21:18 pm »

Yeah, ghost king spawn chances are really, REALLY low. Just ignore that feature entirely, as it can't really be used for much of anything.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: January 09, 2016, 02:24:44 pm »

Thanks.

Edit:
Does anyone have any idea why this would happen?

Edit #2:
I searched the desura forums some more and finally hit a combination of words that found an answer. Apparently it's a weird bug that hasn't been fixed, but can be worked around by making sure the mod is loaded, then hitting Create and esc before attempting to load the game. :-\

Edit #3:
And got "bad neighbor" after choosing the nation. Even after reuploading the map. Which works fine in SP. (It's tyrande)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 03:31:19 pm by Shadowlord »
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 236