Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 517486 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #1905 on: January 31, 2016, 04:26:18 pm »

You can mod in catapult/arcing fire units fairly easily, iirc. Would really be mostly an issue of changing their attack/attack sprite and giving them long range -- the regular arrow trajectories work well enough for the effect. They're not used very often -- I think about the closest thing to them are some of the giant nations and their boulder throwers -- but the mechanics for it are there. Easy de-crew would just be one of those second shape thingies, akin to the oni, where the first form is flimsy and the second isn't.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: January 31, 2016, 06:48:55 pm »

You can mod in catapult/arcing fire units fairly easily, iirc. Would really be mostly an issue of changing their attack/attack sprite and giving them long range -- the regular arrow trajectories work well enough for the effect. They're not used very often -- I think about the closest thing to them are some of the giant nations and their boulder throwers -- but the mechanics for it are there. Easy de-crew would just be one of those second shape thingies, akin to the oni, where the first form is flimsy and the second isn't.

I thought I saw catapults in a mod somewhere, but that was likely for Dom3.  The Boulder Throwers provide the perfect animation.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: January 31, 2016, 06:54:36 pm »

There are sprites in the files for catapults, ballistas, and trebuchets, but they're only used in CoE.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: January 31, 2016, 07:05:31 pm »

There are sprites in the files for catapults, ballistas, and trebuchets, but they're only used in CoE.

OH, That's where I saw them!  And yeah, they act in CoE exactly like Kagus wanted them to act. Actually no, they just attack at range and defend themselves with the crew.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: January 31, 2016, 07:06:01 pm »

Just use the various rain of stones / firefly spells and switch the shot-graphic?

E: That mod a few posts back - he missspelled the German in it, so he doesn't have "[be]loved by death" soldiers, but instead has "loved to death" [kinky] soldiers. *sensible chuckle*
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 07:08:54 pm by ThtblovesDF »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: January 31, 2016, 08:01:49 pm »

There are plenty of weapons and spell effects that lend themselves to it (including, notably, the various dragon breaths for magical equipment), yeah, same for the crewed weapon finagling with secondshape.  It's just that it hasn't been done as part of native, s'what I'm saying.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: February 01, 2016, 12:04:44 am »

I am suddenly upset by lack of plague doctor character. Gaping hole in game design.
They're a bit late for the game's time period.
I always wanted something with siege engines, like in-battle units that provided a siege bonus and could also, like, shoot long-range fireballs or boulders.
EA Agartha might be relevant to your interests. Their stone hurlers are exactly this, and are sacred so you can soup them up (though I wouldn't consider it an optimal strategy) and their mages do these things but magically, and are also quite good. Mages in general (and evokers in particular) tend to take the battefield role of artillery and do it better than any siege weapons from antiquity through the high middle ages, so it makes sense that they're not really a thing. Would be pretty easy to mod in if you wanted to, though.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: February 01, 2016, 07:48:45 am »

Now that I think about it, strong enough earth mages should get some sort of siege bonus. Hurling giant rocks at the castle should be somewhat effective.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: February 01, 2016, 07:49:09 am »

Yeah, I'm aware of Agartha. It's not a matter of "wanting this functionality", so much as "thinking this would be cool". And no, boulder thrower blesses aren't really all that workable, I've tried that out a number of times... Their AI just never works the way you'd expect/want them to, and even then it's difficult to find a bless that really helps.

As far as "making sense" goes, there are also plenty of low-magic nations like Ulm who would conceivably want to try and find a useful alternative to flashy battlefield mages, if we're talking thematic reasoning here. I mean, hell, LA Agartha has suicide zombies. A fireball cannon isn't that much of a stretch.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: February 01, 2016, 10:13:09 am »

Does fire/death blesses even effect boulders? Those or air would probably be about it. Well... actually, blood would help, too, for the strength boost, wouldn't it? I could sorta' see a blood bless with a couple strength of giant (or whatever) casters sitting in the back line bumping their range up.

'Course, blood doesn't exactly bring much to the argathan table (except blood stones, anyway), but still... maybe a disciples game with a blood-capable subordinate leaning on your god for heavy rituals/forging?
Ask not!
Ask!

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: February 01, 2016, 10:37:37 am »

Aside from fire not affecting ice weapons, fire/death blesses affect pretty much everything.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: February 01, 2016, 11:57:17 am »

... huh. I thought those boulders had an AoE effect to 'em. Which. They don't.

Isn't there some kind of unit that has a ranged rock-like attack that hits a full square? My memory hasn't completely borked on me, has it?

Though, with the fire/death bless, if you've got an AoE weapon, will it effect the full thing or just the main hit?
Ask not!
Ask!

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: February 01, 2016, 12:03:59 pm »

I think some of the Dom3 balance mods gave thrown boulders an AoE attack.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: February 01, 2016, 12:52:00 pm »

Their AI just never works the way you'd expect/want them to, and even then it's difficult to find a bless that really helps.
For the AI, you can set them to fire, it's just that the range is really short so they have to be pretty much on top of the enemy for anything to work, and as Agartha you usually want to be further back. A line of blessed HP-bags up front with stone throwers behind them is a substantial battle force. It's not really viable in actual play, since it's expensive as all get-out (and vastly inferior to olms+chaff at similar gold expenditure and no bless) but there's always single player.
Does fire/death blesses even effect boulders? Those or air would probably be about it. Well... actually, blood would help, too, for the strength boost, wouldn't it? I could sorta' see a blood bless with a couple strength of giant (or whatever) casters sitting in the back line bumping their range up.

'Course, blood doesn't exactly bring much to the argathan table (except blood stones, anyway), but still... maybe a disciples game with a blood-capable subordinate leaning on your god for heavy rituals/forging?
F9BxAx would be the classic bless, inasmuch as there is a classic bless for such a fringe strategy. Blood helps for range, but the range calculation is not very generous. In my opinion it should be STR/2, not STR/3 to make them viable. Agartha has a good set of options anyway, since the cave patch, but it would be nice if some of the older options worked a bit better.
Blood Stones are a substantial advantage, and having access to them is potentially worth the small amount of blood dabbling it takes to get them if you want the bless anyway.

Aside from fire not affecting ice weapons, fire/death blesses affect pretty much everything.
Not mind blast, which is pretty significant. If it did, Olms with F9 would be lethal as all hell. Or D9, since Agartha likes big D a lot anyway.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: February 01, 2016, 02:33:53 pm »

Does air's +range actually work on weapons that have a strength-based range attack?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 236