Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 521660 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #1950 on: February 24, 2016, 07:17:26 pm »

And MA/LA Xibalba.
What was done to them?

Want to try ermor on big map strategy focused on getting burden of time as early as possible( remember someone on desura going with pulling out burden of time on turn 12 or something),
While possible, this was a gimmicky and unsuccessful way to play even before BoT was nerfed. Rushing it doesnt' give you the benefits to counter the cost, and depending on the meta, you either will not be able to get there without getting rushed, or casting BoT will incite everyone to gang up on you.
I guess, that first step is magic three, it is rather obvious. Second is neteret of many names for additional rp. But what is the most effecient research alghoritm?
Summon a dusk elder every turn that you can, and everybody researches all the time.
By contrast, attempting to summon even a single Dusk Elder with your pretender will cost you upwards of four dozen RP for a break-even point of at least 2-3 turns
Yes, but you only need to do it once. If Dusk Elders were more efficient, they would pay for themselves quickly. The real reason why not is because at magic 3, you get one RP per turn per gem regardless. It's slightly more efficient in mage turns, but in the first year that you want to be done by, that will only be relevant twice.

Side note, I just tried and got it up on turn thirteen. I was just barely short on turn twelve.

Technically with a GS and M3, Revenants are slightly better in terms of research-per-gem - you can summon 4@11rp/turn for the same price as 3@13rp/turn Spectators. However, it's probably worth it to go with the Spectators just because of how much more useful D2 is vs. D1 if you need to empty the labs...
Revenants require research to get, they set you back too much. Also, if we were factoring in utility you would go for dusk elders. But then, if we were trying to be practical we wouldn't rush burden of time.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: February 24, 2016, 07:29:31 pm »

Casting Burden of Time makes the game about you.

Specifically, about everyone killing you.  But still, you get to be the center of attention.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: February 24, 2016, 07:36:21 pm »

To be fair, if you're playing Ermor in MP, everyone is already going to gang up on you. Casting BoT just makes it a little more urgent.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: February 24, 2016, 07:45:42 pm »

What was done to them?

Some underwater-recruit units were added to their lineup. Nothing exceptionally amazing or useful but it could come handy in a pinch. At the very least it gives you an vague interest in going underwater. The W1E1H1 mages are fairly good labrats and being underwater gives them an added measure of protection.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: February 24, 2016, 10:50:32 pm »

To clarify, the UW commanders for both eras are the same as the non-cap-only muuch commanders you can recruit in land forts. Well, plus a 40-troop mundane muuch commander in LA. O/w, their UW forts are the same as land forts, only with less troop variety. I'd be tempted to say the actual more interesting feature are the troops; i.e., muuch with nets. Not that that's intensely interesting, but it's at least something new.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 10:53:29 pm by E. Albright »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: February 25, 2016, 01:28:48 am »

I'm a fan of equipping researchers with quills and/or lanterns, and do it in any game that I can.

I'm not.  I can't bring myself to spend the gems.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: February 25, 2016, 03:56:12 am »

Even if they're fire gems? What else are you going to do with them?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: February 25, 2016, 04:38:23 am »

Bolas. Bolas for days.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: February 25, 2016, 06:40:25 am »

Or combat boost weak mages to spam elementals, if you can deal with some tedious scripting.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: February 25, 2016, 11:21:58 am »

Really? I don't know about you, but spending 3~5 gems for 14 RP every turn seems like a good deal to me. It's like recruiting an extra labrat every turn and you barely notice the horror-marks. Owl Quills might not be worth it though, unless you have a large air income or are MA Ulm. But if you're MA Ulm then anything that takes 5 gems to forge normally costs only 1 gem with hammers so... It makes a lot of things worth considering. Like getting a mage bless for one gem Shrouds of the Battle Saints.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: February 25, 2016, 03:41:03 pm »

Or combat boost weak mages to spam elementals, if you can deal with some tedious scripting.
Just the once though - everyone's familiar with the copy-paste commands for battle scripting, right? If not, you're doing yourself a major disfavor with any battle that contains more than one mage.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: February 25, 2016, 03:46:04 pm »

Actually, what's probably more entertaining is fielding F1 labrats if you have them, giving them each a gem, and letting them spam fireballs after Phoenix Power.

That, or creating enough Terracotta Soldiers to assure your place in heaven, rival pretenders be damned: http://oglaf.com/throne-heaven/ (Essentially SFW, unlike the the overwhelming majority of that site)

Bolas. Bolas for days.

This only really works for Kailasa, etc., because what's the point of stockpiling bolas if you can't stick 5 on a single unit?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 03:47:56 pm by E. Albright »

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: February 25, 2016, 05:24:17 pm »

Ehm, is not early casted BOT combined with ermor surrounded with lands not supporting big ammount of not undead troops + all that freespawn I get + time for bad guys and villains to get to my citadel of peace, truth, justice and prosperity + them being busy with own stuff and most likely not investing in counters to that, as BOT would not be expected that early = not that awful combo.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: February 25, 2016, 05:49:28 pm »

Actually, what's probably more entertaining is fielding F1 labrats if you have them, giving them each a gem, and letting them spam fireballs after Phoenix Power.

I would rather spend 5 gems on Fire in the Jar (or less with hammer, etc) and spam Phoenix Fire/Fireballs forever rather than scrounge up 1 fire gem per mage per battle.  Although I notice that Dominions 4 removed the "automatically pick up fallen friendly items on battle victory" that was present in Dominions 3.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: February 25, 2016, 06:49:49 pm »

That takes at least one round's preparation, and gives you 1/5 the fireballs raw gems give you. If you only get to fight one or two battles, having an indefinite supply is kinda meaningless, and when we're talking about throwing X1 labrats into battle, it's rarely the time for thriftiness.
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 236