Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 517672 times)

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #2340 on: May 24, 2016, 01:33:13 pm »

I've been looking at some maps, but nearly all of them lack caves. Optimally someone would be able to add some caves to them? I've never fiddeld with it, but adding 2-3 caves to Tear of Heavens would make for a good map, imo.

http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-3-the-awakening/forum/thread/tear-of-heavens-95-14-wraparound#806482

It's setup for 7 players, 1 water, 6 land.

If we can't edit it, I fear we have to proceed without caves for lack of any alternative suggestions (Anything from 80 to 150 provinces should be fine).

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: May 24, 2016, 01:49:18 pm »

If we're at the point we're discussing maps, we should likely kick up a topic for it and have sign ups. That way we know for sure who's in or not, otherwise we'd have to repick the map again.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: May 24, 2016, 02:06:53 pm »

I agree

Dominions 4 Round 21 - Sign Up

It's a near vanilla, EA game, the rest is open for discussion.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: June 07, 2016, 12:34:36 pm »

New patch, and yes, it's time for Ys.  MA nation, appropriately tied thematically to Tir Na Nog and the Tuatha, diverse paths in Water, Air, and Earth with random possibilities in Fire, Astral, and Nature, but its stand-out seems from an early glance to be its sacred.  Other things of particular notice: Ermor and Lemuria random gods now default to Sloth 3, which should help in single-player a bit, and some mindless tweaks.  Err, that is, tweaks to the mindless, rather than tweaks that are mindless.

Spoiler: Patch notes (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 12:40:56 pm by Culise »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2344 on: June 07, 2016, 04:04:21 pm »

<3 swanherds. I don't have a good reason, but I do. I do have a good reason to love the Morvarc'h: they're just so cute! Squee? Squee.

--

On a very random note, some of the battle engine improvements over the last couple of patches have ratcheted up the engine's ability to handle enormous battles a lot. I replayed the climactic turn-92-ish storming of Agor from 4.10 (which was a ridiculous 6.1k vs. 6.8k, with tons of skellispammers on both sides), and things actually more or less went precisely (albeit tediously) as they should have (for the record, Agor loses the replayed battle now, by a margin even more narrow than how they'd previously lost it). The field is larger, Mass Flight, Fog Warriors, Acid Rain, etc. hit entire armies just like they're supposed to, castle walls actually keep the Howl-summoned wolves out, etc. etc. etc.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: June 07, 2016, 04:09:13 pm »

Man, on one hand they might have the best sacred cavalry, on the other hand, that resource cost stings. Their land units seem a bit limited too. Can anyone else take a look at them? They seem like they'd have ok thugs right away maybe? Anything I'm missing about evaluating them?

Also, those troops almost looked nice until I saw... their encumbrance. Holy gods, their armored underwater units have 7 and 9 encumbrance.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: June 07, 2016, 06:12:39 pm »

6 and 8 underwater, but yes, there's a lot of encumbrance.

Their coastal units are scant, yeah. Pretty much normal for a UW nation in that regard.

I'd note that their sacreds don't really need much of a bless to do well expanding, even in small-ish numbers.

Having said that... I'm really not sure how they're supposed to work. Very cap-centric, and troops which aren't amazing. It seems like they'd have to thug, but even that's hard since their cavalry isn't stealthy. Odd bunch. I love the feel, but odd.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2347 on: June 07, 2016, 06:18:52 pm »

All I know looking at it is that forget the rest of the forces, those no-need-to-eat swans are gorram amazing. Get coastal province, get fort, set swanherds to repeat, never look back. Look out reanimators, we got flying supply free chaff pouring out of our orifices.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: June 07, 2016, 06:39:52 pm »

<3 swanherds. I don't have a good reason, but I do. I do have a good reason to love the Morvarc'h: they're just so cute! Squee? Squee.

To be honest, 2 swans per swanherd isn't the worse thing in the world. Sure they absolutely suck at combat, but swans have no upkeep, flying and Need not Eat. With 1.64 siege strength (attacking or defending) they are surprisingly good at defending or breaking fortresses. Every single of Ys's aboveground forts should have a bunch of swanherds just spamming swans until the end of time. The massive swarm of swans generated should be more than enough to keep them safe from besiegers.

All I know looking at it is that forget the rest of the forces, those no-need-to-eat swans are gorram amazing. Get coastal province, get fort, set swanherds to repeat, never look back. Look out reanimators, we got flying supply free chaff pouring out of our orifices.

Yeah. Swans are totally great. Even if they suck at doing anything useful in combat.

Also, those troops almost looked nice until I saw... their encumbrance. Holy gods, their armored underwater units have 7 and 9 encumbrance.

The encumbrance isn't all that surprising. Bronze seems to be fairly heavy and not as protective compared to its counterparts. The Merrow have 3 encumbrance just like every other regular human, so... It's not extraordinarily bad. Just the ordinary kind of bad that everyone else has to deal with.

Their land units seem a bit limited too. Can anyone else take a look at them? They seem like they'd have ok thugs right away maybe? Anything I'm missing about evaluating them?

The land units are alright. You have a 9 gold guy who has no actual disadvantages for costing 9 gold. He has 10 in all of the expected stats, passable protection (12 body, 16 head), shield, javelin and broadsword. The only obvious downside is his 18 resource cost, which makes him harder to mass. They also have a guy who is almost identical to the Marignon Man at Arms except for having -1 Morale, no Bodyguard, +1 HP, +1 Strength and costing -2 gold. They also have Medium Cavalry but they aren't terribly special because Medium Cavalry. For their land commanders they have a general (who isn't terribly special), the swanherd (who is) and the Kernou Druid. The Kernou Druid is basically the Maverni Druid (E1S1 + 100% WESN). Except it has MM2 instead of 1, and costs 10 gold less.

Really, the theme of Ys's land units seems to be that they are strangely undercost for what they are. Not in a way that makes them overpowered mind you. They're just cheaper when you compare them to similar units for absolutely no reason.

Having said that... I'm really not sure how they're supposed to work. Very cap-centric, and troops which aren't amazing. It seems like they'd have to thug, but even that's hard since their cavalry isn't stealthy. Odd bunch. I love the feel, but odd.

Honestly? They seem to be in the same boat as the rest of the glamour/elf nations. Expensive but good mages, passable troops and a great potential for thugging. Use the sacreds to expand (fire-breathing horses are great regardless of your bless), build up a sizable army and buff the shit out of them while your thugs do their thing. Throw in some big spells and call it a day. Worse comes to worse, you can always hide out underwater and try to rebuild.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: June 07, 2016, 06:55:55 pm »

If only they were gooseherds and we wouldn't even need to cast Rage of the Cornered Rat to get the flock to berserk. As it is, getting N2 on a national mage is going to be challenging.

EDIT: Swanswarms rebuilding your castle gates is awesome though.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 06:58:10 pm by Karlito »
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2350 on: June 07, 2016, 08:13:47 pm »

I was gonna ask how swans could defend a fort but then I remembered that swans are vicious.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2351 on: June 07, 2016, 08:19:27 pm »

If dominions will teach you anything, it's that opposable thumbs, sentience, or the ability to move are not requirements to rebuild or tear down a massive defensive fortification. Ask not how the swans rebuild the buttresses. Assume they're stuffing children into the stoneworks or somethin'. swan children? Human? Hoburg? Only the swans know.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2352 on: June 08, 2016, 02:40:53 am »

Walls of swan poop.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2353 on: June 08, 2016, 05:37:14 am »

To be honest, 2 swans per swanherd isn't the worse thing in the world. Sure they absolutely suck at combat, but swans have no upkeep, flying and Need not Eat. With 1.64 siege strength (attacking or defending) they are surprisingly good at defending or breaking fortresses. Every single of Ys's aboveground forts should have a bunch of swanherds just spamming swans until the end of time. The massive swarm of swans generated should be more than enough to keep them safe from besiegers.

They're actually only 1.36 (6^2/100+1), but otherwise, I heartily agree with everything you say.

I have no personal experience with swans, but I grew up around geese, and based on that I shall agree with Frumple that we're better off not looking too closely at their methods...

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2354 on: June 08, 2016, 09:04:19 am »

Oh. I thought that they had 8 strength, not 6. I must have misread their stats or something. Sorry about that. Swans totally suck balls now. Ys underpowered, please buff. Etc, etc.
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 236