Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 520940 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #2895 on: December 01, 2016, 12:08:04 am »

As soon as the momentum slips or some key variable in your strategy fails, your whole nation is liable to basically fold in, collapse without any chance of recovery.

This really isn't as true as a lot of people hold it to be. I'm not saying it isn't true, but you can hold out in an underdog position a lot longer than many people are willing to even consider, and if you're willing to do so (and again, many if not most people aren't) it often has a huge effect on the momentum of the person who just crippled you. Sticking it out and forcing Pyrrhic victories instead of walking away as soon as your biggest army dies or you come under siege can make what had been a snowballing power grab into a slogging resource drain. Admittedly, you're more likely to be kingmaker than king. But still, it can be possible to eke out comebacks if you can make your would-be killer bleed enough to attract sharks.

The key point is you need to plan for the possibility of failure rather than just trying to come back only if you suffer a catastrophic defeat. This means doing things like not overcommitting resources, avoiding all-or-nothing confrontations, holding back reserves, and a variety of other unpopular non-all-out-offensive strategies that conventional wisdom in most Dominions communities dismiss as playing to lose...

(And yes, I'm told I am an absolute joy to play against, TYVM.)
Heh, I sometimes do the ragnarok-proofing thing by mistake rather than intentionally. "Damn I just lost the main army, oh well, guess that's good game then. What do you mean I still have 200 units? Wait, that province has been cranking out minotaurs all this time?? And I was wondering why my income was getting low."

But yeah, I suppose it's possible to sort of do preventative strategizing like that. Of course the counterargument is that if you hold some of your resources back to hold off a possible collapse then the threat of collapse is more likely to actually manifest, since you're not bringing your full power forward.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2896 on: December 01, 2016, 01:05:32 am »

I assume they mean it's hard to recover from significant loses, or even to catch up if an opponent significantly outgrows or outpaces you. I'm not sure I agree with the statement as a general rule, because it makes assumptions about metagame factors (even if it's just the AI's swarm->kill->repeat mindlessness). But I don't exactly disagree with it either...
I don't really agree with it, personally. Unless you set up a strategy where your plan is to expand early or win an early war and then use your size to brute force a victory, and then fail to get that early game win that you need. But that's your choice. A plan that's more balanced towards performance in the middle of the game allows you to really do a good job taking advantage of opportunities later on and having a solid shot at winning. Of course, you can be totally annihilated, and everyone will at some point, and I don't know of a case of someone losing a capital and winning, but suffering setbacks doesn't put you out of the running for the game. I certainly prefer this to some sort of explicit "you're losing so you get bonuses" mechanic.

For what it's worth, it's... probably a good thing. If D4 had easily leveraged comeback mechanics the game could pretty easily end up having match lengths that are just too long to actually play. Considering MP games can already take up a few months without much trouble, if the game was designed so that it regularly got stretched out even further I'd probably wager the player base would just kinda' collapse. Very few people want to get stuck in a game that's unending back and forth. To say nothing of how unsatisfying it tends to be when you win a game pretty much strictly by dint of playing until the other side got sick of keeping things going and quit. Or being on the other side of that, heh.
In fact, there was a Dominions 3 game that went on as an indefinite stalemate for some several years. It resulted in things being changed to make the holding of land more important, most significantly a change to how gemgen items work (though that also had the purpose of reducing micro).

The flip side to that is that the "key screwup" can happen at any point. Within the first few turns, if you slip up or get unlucky you'll lose enough momentum to allow your enemy to get an edge in territories, income, dominion, and production power, since those are all interlinked. And once that happens, it's very hard to come out on top again unless the enemy gets a similar magnitude of slip-up at some point as well. Lacking late-game comeback mechanics is one thing, but you also lack early-game ones. It's rather punishing.
I agree that early game requires more perfection. Luckily, it also allows for more testing, since indies are the same in singleplayer as multiplayer. Diplomatic concerns do kind of address this,  but even that takes a while to wind up, at least until after expansion. Even an expansion fail can be countered though. Lord knows I've played plenty of games where my expansion was shit, and rebounded. One expansion party is generally only two turns after all, if you expand for the whole first year, that's going to be a relatively small loss, proportion-wise. Definitely being trapped in a small underwater area with a stronger underwater nation means that you're liable to be screwed, but that's also sort of a perfect storm of problems.

As soon as the momentum slips or some key variable in your strategy fails, your whole nation is liable to basically fold in, collapse without any chance of recovery.

This really isn't as true as a lot of people hold it to be. I'm not saying it isn't true, but you can hold out in an underdog position a lot longer than many people are willing to even consider, and if you're willing to do so (and again, many if not most people aren't) it often has a huge effect on the momentum of the person who just crippled you. Sticking it out and forcing Pyrrhic victories instead of walking away as soon as your biggest army dies or you come under siege can make what had been a snowballing power grab into a slogging resource drain. Admittedly, you're more likely to be kingmaker than king. But still, it can be possible to eke out comebacks if you can make your would-be killer bleed enough to attract sharks.
You're not as likely to be the winner as if you won every war you fought, but that doesn't mean you can't win. After all, your enemy is now a big yummy treat for others to feed on – but once he's in a war, that gives you the potential to peace out with him and work on expanding elsewhere, then come back for him later. And whoever ate him, if you're lucky and skilled at diplomacy, it'll be multiple nations. Hell, if it's too much against him, you could even ally with that guy against his new enemies and let everyone get weakened by war until you're able to meet them.

The key point is you need to plan for the possibility of failure rather than just trying to come back only if you suffer a catastrophic defeat. This means doing things like not overcommitting resources, avoiding all-or-nothing confrontations, holding back reserves, and a variety of other unpopular non-all-out-offensive strategies that conventional wisdom in most Dominions communities dismiss as playing to lose...
Only a fool calls that playing to lose. Even if you're not already in a losing position, committing too much means you win this war but lose the next. Of course, having units sitting around doing nothing is pointless, but units aren't that important anyway, later on. It's the mages that matter, and when they're sitting around, they're researching.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2897 on: December 01, 2016, 02:24:06 am »

You're not as likely to be the winner as if you won every war you fought, but that doesn't mean you can't win. After all, your enemy is now a big yummy treat for others to feed on – but once he's in a war, that gives you the potential to peace out with him and work on expanding elsewhere, then come back for him later. And whoever ate him, if you're lucky and skilled at diplomacy, it'll be multiple nations. Hell, if it's too much against him, you could even ally with that guy against his new enemies and let everyone get weakened by war until you're able to meet them.
Somehow, that never works for me. Although I may just be especially bad at diplomacy. :P

Only a fool calls that playing to lose. Even if you're not already in a losing position, committing too much means you win this war but lose the next. Of course, having units sitting around doing nothing is pointless, but units aren't that important anyway, later on. It's the mages that matter, and when they're sitting around, they're researching.
That's another problem of mine. I tend to almost completely rely on regular armies for fighting, unless there are spells that are basically gimmies and there are ready mages available for casting. For instance, LA Man's Magister Arcane and his 2A magic perfectly complements Man's longbowman swarms with Wind Guide. That sort of thing.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #2898 on: December 01, 2016, 03:38:42 am »

but units aren't that important anyway, later on. It's the mages that matter, and when they're sitting around, they're researching.

Oh come now, as someone who's general strategy tends to rely on bog standard units, I can tell you this is flat out untrue.
I have (figuratively) trampled over other armies with hyper-buffed infantry before after all. It's always fun to watch all the battle magic do absolutely nothing to deter my ranks. It's why I like earth magic so much.
And even if you prefer using mages in the traditional death dealing sense, you still need a healthy amount of infantry for your armies to act as ablative armor for those mages.

But at the same time let's not forget Reanimation style chaff spam, there just hits a point where there's just too many of them to deal with regardless of what you have.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2899 on: December 01, 2016, 03:46:17 am »

but units aren't that important anyway, later on. It's the mages that matter, and when they're sitting around, they're researching.

Oh come now, as someone who's general strategy tends to rely on bog standard units, I can tell you this is flat out untrue.
I have (figuratively) trampled over other armies with hyper-buffed infantry before after all. It's always fun to watch all the battle magic do absolutely nothing to deter my ranks. It's why I like earth magic so much.
And even if you prefer using mages in the traditional death dealing sense, you still need a healthy amount of infantry for your armies to act as ablative armor for those mages.

But at the same time let's not forget Reanimation style chaff spam, there just hits a point where there's just too many of them to deal with regardless of what you have.
I once tested my Quicksilver Stampede against a max indie strength level 3 throne province full of undead.

There were the 5 priests on my side, sure, but still. They made quite the show. They chew up flak undead like there's no tomorrow, even ethereal ones.
(the satyrs mostly survived because they were stuck behind the wall of centaurs; the ones that died found a way around)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2900 on: December 01, 2016, 10:04:00 am »

Then there are a lot of fools in the Dom4 MP community. Which, IMNPHO, there are. So, yeah. There are subcommunities out there which obsess about "dueling" in full-size games and dismiss diplomacy as weakness and a crutch. And OMG, they scoff at the idea of "defensive" play; it's all-out or nothing. It's almost charming in its simplicity...

I'd argue that having units sitting around is not always pointless, though. If they're idle but deterring, they're not idle. Take as a rather extreme example: round 4.18. I had literally hundreds of troops (and by the end, thousands) sitting idle for almost the entire game, by design. Ofc, these troops were ghouls, and they'd die to banishment spam just about as fast as the longdead or soulless I was also amassing while being more "expensive" to reanimate. And they were "sitting idle" in forts where they promised to make any attempts to siege me down slow and miserable, and that was even if the defenders didn't break out BVCs. Again, that's an extreme case. But if you can secure a border by having idle troops and reduce the odds of your one-front war turning into a two-front war... mission accomplished.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2901 on: December 02, 2016, 02:52:06 am »

That's another problem of mine. I tend to almost completely rely on regular armies for fighting
Hate to break it to you, mate, but you might be a scrub.

Note how all of those strategies rely on magic, though. You need mages to buff, in that context, units are important as vehicles for your buffs, not for what merit they might have independently of magic. The "traditional" magic, which as you describe it is basically evocation, focuses on the mages still and uses units as a screen to protect the mages, who are important. I actually took this one to a bit of an extreme in my latest AAR, but even for something like Abysia, this becomes true soon enough anyway. Well, that specific example has trouble as soon as someone researches Rain, but you know what I mean. Reanimation is also done by mages. Even freespawn nations don't use that later on. Lemuria tends to stick their ghosts in forts and rely on thugs and other shenanigans later on, and Ermor uses them a bit more but still relies primarily on lictors, which are a vehicle for a big bless – essentially equivalent to buffing, though it comes online earlier – and still want some big mages in the back line, but are probably the best argument I can think of for not relying heavily on mages in any situation after the earlygame.

That's the kind of stuff I was talking about, anyway. It's relevant in the previous discussion because although you need units to fulfill some purposes, you can generally get them close to as fast as you need to, or else the reason why not is because of small size that requires you to expand anyway. Mages are a different matter, since they're limited to one per lab (and, usually, fort) per turn. They benefit from infrastructure, and more importantly they benefit from research. And they are the limiting factor, because you can lose a dozen turns at once and be in a very bad situation, whereas units can be effectively replaced much more quickly, and even if you're suffering losses, it's unlikely that your demand for troops will outpace your supply of them in the same way that happens with mages.

I once tested my Quicksilver Stampede against a max indie strength level 3 throne province full of undead.

There were the 5 priests on my side, sure, but still. They made quite the show. They chew up flak undead like there's no tomorrow, even ethereal ones.
(the satyrs mostly survived because they were stuck behind the wall of centaurs; the ones that died found a way around)
Yeah, sacreds are great. Even so, they don't scale like mages. Anything that counters 100 will have a pretty good chance of countering 1000. Assuming it's in a single battle, raiding's another matter, and numbers help there. But in a stand-up fight, somebody's going to find out how to whup you, and it's almost always going to be "loads of mages". Sometimes it'll be an SC, but their heyday ended with Dom3.

Then there are a lot of fools in the Dom4 MP community. Which, IMNPHO, there are. So, yeah. There are subcommunities out there which obsess about "dueling" in full-size games and dismiss diplomacy as weakness and a crutch. And OMG, they scoff at the idea of "defensive" play; it's all-out or nothing. It's almost charming in its simplicity...
Well, I don't think there's anything wrong with doing things like "dueling" if that's how people play in your community and you do it for fun. It's not playing to win, but if that's how you like to play, it's a perfectly legitimate choice. It's definitely suboptimal though, at least if there isn't a gentleman's agreement to not interfere with these duels. In a free-for-all (that is, no such agreement) winning without diplomacy is a possibility only if you're a skilled veteran and your opponents are very much not.

I'd argue that having units sitting around is not always pointless, though. If they're idle but deterring, they're not idle. Take as a rather extreme example: round 4.18. I had literally hundreds of troops (and by the end, thousands) sitting idle for almost the entire game, by design. Ofc, these troops were ghouls, and they'd die to banishment spam just about as fast as the longdead or soulless I was also amassing while being more "expensive" to reanimate. And they were "sitting idle" in forts where they promised to make any attempts to siege me down slow and miserable, and that was even if the defenders didn't break out BVCs. Again, that's an extreme case. But if you can secure a border by having idle troops and reduce the odds of your one-front war turning into a two-front war... mission accomplished.
I sort of agree with the thrust of this, and vampires especially are a good way to make nobody want to touch you. Ghouls are a good garrison, not only for deterrence but just so that if a fort gets sieged they'll have something that's not mindless in there to keep from being taken down in a turn. Something like that isn't a gain for you though, it's only a status quo, a lack of loss. Which is good, but it can't be your sole strategy, and the longer you spend only doing that, the further behind you'll fall.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2902 on: December 02, 2016, 03:44:40 am »

For what it's worth, it's... probably a good thing. If D4 had easily leveraged comeback mechanics the game could pretty easily end up having match lengths that are just too long to actually play. Considering MP games can already take up a few months without much trouble, if the game was designed so that it regularly got stretched out even further I'd probably wager the player base would just kinda' collapse. Very few people want to get stuck in a game that's unending back and forth. To say nothing of how unsatisfying it tends to be when you win a game pretty much strictly by dint of playing until the other side got sick of keeping things going and quit. Or being on the other side of that, heh.

Probably but for a game that has such a "short" 'finish' it has a long campaign. I'd probably say 5% of the game is the actual "Playing the game" part, with the remaining 95% being clean up and the like.

And of all the Dominions games this is the one that really COULD have turn around and not bog the game down endlessly.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2903 on: December 02, 2016, 10:31:55 am »

It's definitely suboptimal though, at least if there isn't a gentleman's agreement to not interfere with these duels.

The people who advocate this kind of play 1) don't name it as dueling, and 2) would scoff at the idea of making an agreement to duel since that's diplomacy. They tend to present arguments that someone else "interfering" is sub-optimal play because then the interferer will get stomped on by the person they're interfering with. Yes, really. People who get taken seriously advance these kinds of arguments. It's a lot of macho bravado, and it hinges on notions of your opponent folding like soggy cardboard as soon as you have one significant victory, and then quitting instead of making you fight to take their territory. There are apparently entire communities that adopt these perverse "L2P/DiplomacyIs4Noobs" sort of notions. It's... weird. I've never gotten my head around it and have wasted more time than I ever should have arguing with advocates of this on other forums...

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2904 on: December 02, 2016, 01:28:52 pm »

I agree with the "As long as ya got ya fucking mages, you can still do stuff".

While units are often countered by other units (to a degree), most armies will be defeated by a spell that counters them.

I.e. you lose some big fights but you now got your earthquake and can counter there free spam-army.

PS: Wouldn't it be great to be able to accept puppet states? Then again, anyone who can force 1-2 players to become puppets already has enough magic and troop diversity on the field to defeat nearly any enemy.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 01:31:07 pm by ThtblovesDF »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2905 on: December 02, 2016, 01:41:54 pm »

Not necessarily. You don't need to break someone's power to get them to capitulate, you just have to break their morale. And puppet states increase your diversity rather than just increasing your resources. That would make snowballing significantly worse to my eye...

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #2906 on: December 02, 2016, 02:53:41 pm »

In fact, there was a Dominions 3 game that went on as an indefinite stalemate for some several years. It resulted in things being changed to make the holding of land more important, most significantly a change to how gemgen items work (though that also had the purpose of reducing micro).

Was this Forge of Godhood (I think that was it's name?) by any chance? There was a game with Very Hard research/no powerful blesses/no SC pretenders, but come to think of it I'm sure any long length in that one wasn't an accident.

Though, I think just about any MP game has a risk of getting stalemated. There's a VGA Planets game on Planets Nu that's been going on for three years (and still is). I don't recall, from my limited experience of VGA Planets, that it was that prone to stalemates in the first place.

In, re: losing, I'm OK with little comeback in a game if the end comes quick. (M:tG does this well--if you're losing, you're losing soon.) The mechanics of Dominions (i.e. sieges) have ways to prolong the agony. There's still ways to "topdeck" of course.
Check out my books at O and H Books

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2907 on: December 02, 2016, 03:02:32 pm »

Is it me or is LA Marignon a little lackluster compared to MA?

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2908 on: December 02, 2016, 05:17:05 pm »

Not really? They get the same high end angel conjurations. Blood Inquisitors are superior to Fire Inquisitors, as they can join Sabbaths and lay down absurd amounts of Banishment. Goetics are leaner than Witch Hunters, but I don't consider that a disadvantage - paying an extra 70 gold for H1, Leadership and a Patrol bonus isn't really worth it, and F1H1 and leadership isn't worth the extra 105 for the StR versions. LA gets much better Air access (for owl quills, water breathing, winged shoes and bows of war) and Water access (frost brands and boots of quickness on your angels) at all.

Sure, the stealth and 40 leadership on Friars is better than the sailing and 10 leadership on Missionaries, but they're still recruit-anywhere H1s to bless your Flagellants. Sure, the Hand of Justice is dreadful, but it's not like you were going to seriously base your bless around expensive the Cap Only units instead of your angels or recruit-literally-anywhere flagellants?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2909 on: December 02, 2016, 09:57:29 pm »

Probably but for a game that has such a "short" 'finish' it has a long campaign. I'd probably say 5% of the game is the actual "Playing the game" part, with the remaining 95% being clean up and the like.

And of all the Dominions games this is the one that really COULD have turn around and not bog the game down endlessly.
That was true in Dominions 3, but in Dominions 4, if you play with a throne victory (which is pretty close to universal in my experience) it's up to the game admin to make that not the case. Usually it seems to go the other way actually, in my experience, where someone becomes able to throne-rush without necessarily being the strongest. Perhaps this difference in perception is an artifact of who we play with.

I agree with the "As long as ya got ya fucking mages, you can still do stuff".
Also if you don't have mages, you can sometimes build up enough mages and make enough favorable trades to come back. You won't win without first recouping your losses, in this case, (unless you're so close to winning that it doesn't matter, like if you have an SC marching on each of several thrones) but even then it can be possible to win. The only thing I would say is a "you'll lose for sure now" is when you've lost your capital. Even then it's theoretically possible to win, but I've never seen or heard of it happening.

PS: Wouldn't it be great to be able to accept puppet states? Then again, anyone who can force 1-2 players to become puppets already has enough magic and troop diversity on the field to defeat nearly any enemy.
It would be nice to have some diplomatic mechanisms built into the game, but I think they're really only relevant when dealing with AI. Still, unless you're in a very high level game you'll probably be up against significant AI opponents even in multiplayer, so an option to stop them from being a thorn in your side (by attacking you) without expending the resources to completely annihilate them would be nice. Being able to exact tribute as well would be gravy. For players, those things don't require mechanical recognition, and such a stance would only change what message they get at the end – presumably you'd treat them more kindly when becoming pantokrator.

Was this Forge of Godhood (I think that was it's name?) by any chance? There was a game with Very Hard research/no powerful blesses/no SC pretenders, but come to think of it I'm sure any long length in that one wasn't an accident.
I don't remember the name, but looking that one up it doesn't seem to be what I was thinking of. Well, similar things happened more than once in Dominions 3 anyway.

Though, I think just about any MP game has a risk of getting stalemated. There's a VGA Planets game on Planets Nu that's been going on for three years (and still is). I don't recall, from my limited experience of VGA Planets, that it was that prone to stalemates in the first place.
Nothing is immune to stalemates, but Dominions 3 was very prone to it because in the very late game, your production potential was all based on clams of pearls and other stuff that's in the capital, which means that like Byzantium, all non-capital land could ebb and flow and it wouldn't effect you much, except in decreasing the distance that your SCs need to walk before finding enemies to fight.

In, re: losing, I'm OK with little comeback in a game if the end comes quick. (M:tG does this well--if you're losing, you're losing soon.) The mechanics of Dominions (i.e. sieges) have ways to prolong the agony. There's still ways to "topdeck" of course.
Depends on perspective. For me, any time you spend losing is time during which you can avoid the actual loss. In some games that might not be true, but in Dominions it is, even if the turnaround is harder than continuing a victory, though both cases risk loss of momentum. And I tend to enjoy losing because that's when I'm forced to be creative and efficient to the greatest degree. It's not an accident that the games I blog about are the ones I lose, the games I take most seriously are pretty much always ones where I'm in situations that are hard for me, either bad initial luck, particularly strong players as enemies, or most recently using a strategy I had little experience with.

Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 236