Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 523335 times)

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #3255 on: July 22, 2017, 08:31:32 pm »

While I don't think Dominions needs such a patch, I can definitely see the metagame growing stale in certain communities, and thus overhaul mods serve a similar function as new card packs in a ccg: they force players to experiment and seek out novel strategies.
I don't necessarily think a huge "balance" mod is the best way to achieve that goal, and the political nature of a Dominions match does a lot to prevent the emergence of a single dominant strategy, but there is a case to be made for such mods.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3256 on: July 22, 2017, 08:39:13 pm »

Haven't paid enough attention to know, but even if it's not necessary it can still be nice, right? Most mod work ain't really done 'cause the game's broken or summat, just to make things fancier or offer some different environments to fiddle with.

... though that said, I do seem to recall one version of CBM or another actually being a fairly solid boost to D3. You'd have trouble paying me to go back and play it to find out, mind,* but still. D4 is definitely in better shape on that front than the predecessor, though, imo.

* I think the only thing that's able to get me to go back to D3 when I have access to D4 is that one awesome fungus mod -- Myconos, now that I check again. Quite possibly the most interesting/best put together mostly!freespawn nation mod I've seen for a dominions game, 3 or 4. If anyone ever gets around to porting that thing I'd be tempted to burn Dom 3 in effigy and never look back :P

If I could get around to finding a decent guide to converting a d3 mod, I'd probably just do it myself. Friggin' thing's great.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3257 on: July 22, 2017, 09:50:26 pm »

It's probably just a matter of overhaul mods becoming more mature and the length of time since a content update growing, but it feels like there's increased acceptance of the idea that vanilla needs a grand-scale balance/overhaul patch. That sentiment was really strong when Dom4 first was released ("thanks", CBM), but it faded fairly quickly. It seems to be creeping back out of the shadows, though.
I don't know what communities you've been around so I can't definitely agree or disagree, but what I've seen is more that people just agree that it benefits with one, and the most popular one (summod) provides more than enough benefit to outweigh any benefit or contention. Most types because it is almost entirely pure balance, and because (specific details aside) it is inarguably more balanced than vanilla. But it's been in heavy use since it was released years ago, at least in games at (or aspiring to be at) a high enough level for that level of balance details to matter.

While I don't think Dominions needs such a patch, I can definitely see the metagame growing stale in certain communities, and thus overhaul mods serve a similar function as new card packs in a ccg: they force players to experiment and seek out novel strategies.
Eh, balance mods don't do this so much, and gimmick games (huge maps, things like "everyone is quadbless" or games using mod nations or nationgen, or other big content mods) have been popular for years. They already were when I started blogging, since the blog itself was initially a gimmick. That was something like three years ago.

I don't necessarily think a huge "balance" mod is the best way to achieve that goal, and the political nature of a Dominions match does a lot to prevent the emergence of a single dominant strategy, but there is a case to be made for such mods.
I really think this is overstated, actually. It's true that people may be induced to gang up on Ermor, but taking out a game leader often suffers from a tragedy of the commons thing. In practice, we still see certain nations winning and a significantly higher rate than others. It's not necessarily a problem if you're just playing for fun and don't much care who wins, but some people do like for each nation to be similar in viability.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3258 on: July 23, 2017, 06:13:51 pm »

the most popular one (summod) provides more than enough benefit to outweigh any benefit or contention. Most types because it is almost entirely pure balance, and because (specific details aside) it is inarguably more balanced than vanilla.

Enh. It's unarguably more tuned, but not perforce better balanced, even if it seeks to bolster/nerf what (a subset of) popular opinions deem to be strong and weak. A problem with something like this is it starts off adjusting balance according to the basegame, but soon enough it needs to begin balancing according to its own changes. It also bakes certain assumptions about "correct" playstyle into the redefined game mechanics. At a certain point, it becomes its own thing, with its own default assumptions, and those assumptions drive the (perpetually ongoing) balancing calculations. If you want to go with that, that's fine, but I can't say I'm pleased to see increasing enthusiasm for a "must-have" balance mod.

This is an old argument, though, and opinions on it tend to be calcified. I know mine is.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3259 on: July 23, 2017, 07:06:17 pm »

I really think this is overstated, actually. It's true that people may be induced to gang up on Ermor, but taking out a game leader often suffers from a tragedy of the commons thing. In practice, we still see certain nations winning and a significantly higher rate than others. It's not necessarily a problem if you're just playing for fun and don't much care who wins, but some people do like for each nation to be similar in viability.
With Ermor specifically and other pop-kill dominions in general, that's doubly-true.  Anyone who conquers these lands tends to bleed for it both in combat and attrition, neglecting Wineskins and Pots, but they don't get nearly as much back from those dead lands as they would from the conquest of a nation of equivalent power and an actual population to tax and recruit from.  In addition to divvying up the gem-based spoils (or not), you end up with a bit of a case with them in particular where it's actually best if it's taken down by a coalition of people other than yourself, unless they cast something that hammers everyone in the game or threaten a full runaway victory. 

That said, even though I didn't play multiplayer at all back in the day and still barely do so nowadays with Dom4, I actually liked CBM.  I'm slightly surprised to find the hate for it here. 
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 07:08:08 pm by Culise »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3260 on: July 23, 2017, 11:49:57 pm »

the most popular one (summod) provides more than enough benefit to outweigh any benefit or contention. Most types because it is almost entirely pure balance, and because (specific details aside) it is inarguably more balanced than vanilla.

Enh. It's unarguably more tuned, but not perforce better balanced, even if it seeks to bolster/nerf what (a subset of) popular opinions deem to be strong and weak. A problem with something like this is it starts off adjusting balance according to the basegame, but soon enough it needs to begin balancing according to its own changes. It also bakes certain assumptions about "correct" playstyle into the redefined game mechanics. At a certain point, it becomes its own thing, with its own default assumptions, and those assumptions drive the (perpetually ongoing) balancing calculations. If you want to go with that, that's fine, but I can't say I'm pleased to see increasing enthusiasm for a "must-have" balance mod.

This is an old argument, though, and opinions on it tend to be calcified. I know mine is.
For summod specifically, it's not just based on opinions, it's based on nation win rate. Obviously some degree of opinion is still necessary for individual options, but it's still based on what sees a lot of use rather than what people see as strong. And I haven't seen the base game fading into irrelevance as you say in summod discussions. I think you're transferring opinions from CBM that don't necessarily apply. That's not to say I support summod unconditionally, but the only things that see gameplay changes (aside from numerical rebalancing) is Ermor getting special D sites to counter what Culise mentioned and MA Man getting some weird goodies, which I actually criticized for reasons similar to your own, but which are justified by the nation's general lack of good shit.

And while details might be quibbled with, it must definitely is better balanced. The changes to Ermor and to Xibalba alone would do that, since they dominate their respective ages, and the prevalence of nice little boons to weak nations makes them a lot more viable. I don't think it's possible to assess summod as anything less than a drastic improvement in balance unless you're utterly failing to see the forest for the trees or you're playing at a level where vanilla is balanced enough anyway, since there are other concerns besides nation strength that matter far more.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3261 on: July 24, 2017, 12:12:47 am »

For summod specifically, it's not just based on opinions, it's based on nation win rate.

If this is supposed to be a reassuring statement, then you plainly don't remember the flamewars about the usefulness of sum1won's attempts to survey win rates.

I think you're transferring opinions from CBM that don't necessarily apply.

I think you're misunderstanding why I say I'm concerned to see "balance mods" growing in popularity. The basis for that concern is where it leads, not where we are ATM; CBM "got there" and summod looks to be walking down that path (albeit slower due to restraint about adding content). Balance mods, when widely adopted, create a "new normal" and make people's expectations revolve around what the mod promotes as "correct" and "normal" gameplay. This changes the opinions of the community about what is good and what is not, as well as what is balanced and what is not, and what a "normal" metagame is and is not. If you like the outcome, that's not a problem for you, but it distorts, narrows, and homogenizes the metagames within the sub-communities.

Also, and this is big, these sorts of mods have a bad habit of escalating power creep, and summod is definitely guilty on this score. Per the above, it makes sense; e.g. it's tuned for shorter games, and many many MANY of its changes reflect that. Again, if that's what you're looking for, that's fine. But saying it's "unquestionably better balanced" when its selected pivot point is noticeably different than vanilla's makes the statement a whole lot more ambiguous.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 12:23:53 am by E. Albright »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3262 on: July 24, 2017, 01:55:44 am »

For summod specifically, it's not just based on opinions, it's based on nation win rate.

If this is supposed to be a reassuring statement, then you plainly don't remember the flamewars about the usefulness of sum1won's attempts to survey win rates.
A flamewar is by definition not a reasonable discussion anyway. I do remember some people on Desura contesting it, but I certainly don't remember any well-supported arguments discrediting it as an actually useful dataset.

I think you're transferring opinions from CBM that don't necessarily apply.

I think you're misunderstanding why I say I'm concerned to see "balance mods" growing in popularity. The basis for that concern is where it leads, not where we are ATM; CBM "got there" and summod looks to be walking down that path (albeit slower due to restraint about adding content). Balance mods, when widely adopted, create a "new normal" and make people's expectations revolve around what the mod promotes as "correct" and "normal" gameplay. This changes the opinions of the community about what is good and what is not, as well as what is balanced and what is not, and what a "normal" metagame is and is not. If you like the outcome, that's not a problem for you, but it distorts, narrows, and homogenizes the metagames within the sub-communities.
Well, as a concern for the future I think your concern is reasonable, then. I don't think we're actually headed that way, at least to the degree you described, but it certainly doesn't hurt to be vigilant.

Also, and this is big, these sorts of mods have a bad habit of escalating power creep, and summod is definitely guilty on this score. Per the above, it makes sense; e.g. it's tuned for shorter games, and many many MANY of its changes reflect that. Again, if that's what you're looking for, that's fine. But saying it's "unquestionably better balanced" when its selected pivot point is noticeably different than vanilla's makes the statement a whole lot more ambiguous.
There's a number of things in this bit where I'm not certain I fully understand you. On power creep, are we talking about the total available power in the game, or the subset of which actually sees play? In the former case, the changelog does support your statement since a lot of things are made cheaper or stronger, but in the latter case, I disagree. The strongest and most commonly used options are typically nerfed; the things receiving buffs are great in number but are typically not used without summod except in very rare instances or in single player and otherwise non-competitive environments. As such, the overall power level goes down.

Tuning for shorter games is a complicated claim, so I want to make sure I know what you mean here; what do you define as a shorter game vs. standard game length? My perception of summod is that it's based on games at the length that they tend to get played, but I can't think of any specific changes that are directly related to game length except for the impact Growth/Death have on population change, which is a big thing in favor of longer games. I'm also not certain what you mean by the pivot point; is this in reference to game length again? I don't think that vanilla really has a coherent expectation of game length, since you have nations like Niefelheim which can only function well in duels and then nations like Berytos which take ages to properly come on line. It wouldn't surprise me if some concessions have made to these kinds of nations with a strong bias to one part of the game, but I can't think of any off the top of my head (not too surprising though, I'm not intimately involved in summod development and haven't played it in some months) and I don't think that doing so would necessarily make the game more strongly oriented towards one particular game length and only the one meta.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3263 on: July 24, 2017, 09:19:33 am »

I don't know about the rest of the changes (haven't gone through the whole list yet), but I'd take a mod that just does the item changes. I'd probably still not make a Hunter's Knife, even with bleeding, and I don't know if the Bow of War needs a buff, but otherwise I agree with the author's judgment.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3264 on: July 24, 2017, 11:22:44 am »

I do remember some people on Desura contesting it, but I certainly don't remember any well-supported arguments discrediting it as an actually useful dataset.

I do. I also remember as much of the unreasonable discussion being in its favor as against it.

On power creep, are we talking about the total available power in the game, or the subset of which actually sees play? In the former case, the changelog does support your statement since a lot of things are made cheaper or stronger, but in the latter case, I disagree. The strongest and most commonly used options are typically nerfed; the things receiving buffs are great in number but are typically not used without summod except in very rare instances or in single player and otherwise non-competitive environments. As such, the overall power level goes down.

There's not a lot of nerfing going on. There are a few narrowly targeted nerfs, sometimes coinciding with other buffs. There are a huge amount of buffs, to most everything. As with CBM, the balancing philosophy is "moar is MOAR"; overall powerlevel is fairly drastically increased rather than applying significant nerfs. It's a powergamer mod.

Also, I'm not sure how the last sentence of the above-quoted paragraph is supposed to follow from everything before it. Weak (or perceived-as-weak) things get significantly boosted to the point that they're competitive enough to use against best-in-class things. The overall power level is unquestionably raised - however, if the things are now powerful enough to merit use in play with/against of the unnerfed or lightly-nerfed OP things, how is that in any way, shape, or form reducing the overall power level? If the mod is as well balanced and competitively used as you've argued, those buffed things aren't going to see use unless they're as good or better than the oft-used-in-vanilla OP things. So again, how is that reducing the overall power level? If I may strain the analogy you seem to be alluding to: you're not proposing dilution of the cauldron of content by "adding" thinner solutions; you're proposing a bigger pot with more solutions of roughly equal strength being added in addition to the strong solutions that were already there.

Tuning for shorter games is a complicated claim, so I want to make sure I know what you mean here; what do you define as a shorter game vs. standard game length?

Blitz. summod grew out of direct-connect blitz meta. It may have moved on beyond that, but I'm skeptical, as it still has a huge raft of changes aimed at getting more stuff out with fewer mage-turns and less research.

Another note: looking over the current changelog last night, I have to say I'm seeing a lot more content changes than I expected to see. Some of it is dubious (Sharknado? Really?), and some of it is extremely involved (LA Pythium). This is, to be charitable, straining the notion of "just a balance mod".

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3265 on: July 25, 2017, 01:29:51 am »

I do remember some people on Desura contesting it, but I certainly don't remember any well-supported arguments discrediting it as an actually useful dataset.

I do. I also remember as much of the unreasonable discussion being in its favor as against it.
Hm. Maybe share some of those reasonable arguments then, because they've eluded either my initial notice or my memory. The closest I saw was that it was insufficiently rigorous for some scientific disciplines, but since it's good enough for ecology or sociology, which it most closely resembles, those complaints never seemed relevant to me.

On power creep, are we talking about the total available power in the game, or the subset of which actually sees play? In the former case, the changelog does support your statement since a lot of things are made cheaper or stronger, but in the latter case, I disagree. The strongest and most commonly used options are typically nerfed; the things receiving buffs are great in number but are typically not used without summod except in very rare instances or in single player and otherwise non-competitive environments. As such, the overall power level goes down.

There's not a lot of nerfing going on. There are a few narrowly targeted nerfs, sometimes coinciding with other buffs. There are a huge amount of buffs, to most everything. As with CBM, the balancing philosophy is "moar is MOAR"; overall powerlevel is fairly drastically increased rather than applying significant nerfs. It's a powergamer mod.
There are a lot of buffs to things that generally don't see a lot of play. Dominions has thousands of things in each general category, so it's understandable that this would include a lot of them. The nerfs are as narrowly targeted as the buffs, applying (generally) to single spells or single nations rather than entire strategies. Also, the notion of a powergamer mod doesn't even make sense in a multiplayer game. But if there was such a thing, it would be stripping away or ignoring the weaker options in favor of the strongest, so this is clearly not that.

Also, I'm not sure how the last sentence of the above-quoted paragraph is supposed to follow from everything before it. Weak (or perceived-as-weak) things get significantly boosted to the point that they're competitive enough to use against best-in-class things. The overall power level is unquestionably raised - however, if the things are now powerful enough to merit use in play with/against of the unnerfed or lightly-nerfed OP things, how is that in any way, shape, or form reducing the overall power level?
Are you actually looking at the changes? Ermor received massive nerfs. EA Xibaba received massive nerfs. Rain of Stones received massive nerfs. Frost Brand received massive nerfs. Growth scales received massive nerfs. What best-in-class things are you seeing which are nerfed only lightly or not at all.

If the mod is as well balanced and competitively used as you've argued, those buffed things aren't going to see use unless they're as good or better than the oft-used-in-vanilla OP things. So again, how is that reducing the overall power level? If I may strain the analogy you seem to be alluding to: you're not proposing dilution of the cauldron of content by "adding" thinner solutions; you're proposing a bigger pot with more solutions of roughly equal strength being added in addition to the strong solutions that were already there.
It's better balanced because things draw closer to the same level of power. That level of power may be higher than the median level in vanilla, but the strongest things are weaker and the weakest things are stronger. There's still a range, of course, but it's a smaller range than it used to be. And the higher median power may be an accurate assessment, but in actual play, the weakest options rarely saw use so the mean power level (if we count each nation's appearance in a game (or that of each spell or etc) as a separate datum) doesn't necessarily rise just because the median does, and as we see the options that are in most every game getting nerfed, the level can even fall.

Tuning for shorter games is a complicated claim, so I want to make sure I know what you mean here; what do you define as a shorter game vs. standard game length?

Blitz. summod grew out of direct-connect blitz meta. It may have moved on beyond that, but I'm skeptical, as it still has a huge raft of changes aimed at getting more stuff out with fewer mage-turns and less research.
Oh. Well that's just factually wrong. It comes from PBEM meta, and is based on other balance mods that also came from a PBEM meta. It came from an almost purely PBEM community, though sum1 intentionally broadened out to include other communities and collected tons of PBEM data. I don't know if he even accepted blitz data from the mod, I don't think he necessarily specified, but he was playing tons of PBEM (hell, he ran and won the first one on my AAR blog) and that's the meta he was from and developing for. Pretty much the only connection that blitz has to summod is that it's used to beta test, but that's more to do with bugs anyway since balance changes aren't going to come to the fore there.

Another note: looking over the current changelog last night, I have to say I'm seeing a lot more content changes than I expected to see. Some of it is dubious (Sharknado? Really?), and some of it is extremely involved (LA Pythium). This is, to be charitable, straining the notion of "just a balance mod".
Yeah, I don't care for the involved shit either and the sharknado reference is utterly retarded. I'm not saying there's nothing questionable in the mod (I already mentioned two other examples) but rather, that it's an improvement over vanilla if you're in a situation where balance matters. You're welcome to add your voice to mine in telling sum1won et al that those particular changes overstep what the mod should be, though I'll tell you now that he's of the opinion that involved additions are okay for nations that see almost no play in vanilla. I disagree with him on the specifics of this, but I do at least see his point.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 03:29:24 pm by Cruxador »

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3266 on: July 27, 2017, 09:37:58 am »

Hypothetical situation: You've got a decent death gem income, but no death mages. Empowerment seems like the best answer, but which of your mages should you empower? (Assume that each of your mages has only a single magic path)

Astral? (nether bolt/darts, vengeance of the dead)
Air? (corpse constructs)
Earth? (blight, hidden in sand/underneath)
Fire? (bane fire darts, corpse candles)
Nature? (manikins and mandragora)
Blood? (bone fiends)

My first thought was air, since constructs are cheap and easy to mass-produce for the low, low price of a single air gem, although you'd need to summon up some mound kings to command them. Astral seems pretty decent as well - I've just seen the carnage that nether darts can inflict - I can also see some excellent synergy between mass feebleminding and the astral enslave spell. Thoughts?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3267 on: July 27, 2017, 10:28:40 am »

I'd go for Earth - providing you have Earth gems in abundance - as that would let you bring more and good death mages via the Hidden spells.
Aiming for combat or summoning spells seems like a general waste of resources. It's just one weak mage - it won't do you that much good neither in combat nor on a summoning duty.

Alternatively, go for Fire so that you may forge Skulls of Fire. But then again, I'd rather get that capability from a Dust Priest I summoned with your E+D mage.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3268 on: July 27, 2017, 02:53:12 pm »

Combat crosspaths for death aren't worth empowering for IMO.  Most of them are the kind you want a bunch of little guys to spam out.  There are 3 useful directions I can think of that you could go:

1.  Cross death and astral for the combat boost.  Something like 4 communion slaves, then cast communion master > power of the spheres will let you bring a D1 up to D4 for battle.  You'd probably want this to make a gimmick army your opponent doesn't expect, for example making an army based around the darkness spell.
1b.  Or if you have national mage with high astral you could convert all those death gems into a pearls.  Its not like an astral nation will ever regret having more pearls.
2.  Empower up to D2 and make a skull staff, then make a mound king and give him the staff.  Then have him make a spare mound king.  Bam, you've broken into death.  If nothing else you can now dump all your mound fiends into longdead horsemen, but I assume there's better uses.
3.  Get a D1.  Then mass produce bows or skull talismans and give them to your commanders.  Its not like that indy commander was doing anything anyway, might as well spend 5 gems to turn him into a shitty mage.  If your death income is more than 5, empower another D1.
3b.  If you can get D2 (ideally by trading for a skull staff, then making more skull staffs), your options expand.  You can make horror helmets and bane venom charms.  You can also make black servants (who I believe will be immune to the charms?), and you'll be able to revive banes to make low-cost thugs out of.  Banes aren't particularly great and their bane blade precludes a shield, but on the other hand they cost only 2 gems more than their free bane blade that they don't drop on death.  Something like N9 bless shroud of the battle saint and winged boots could make a nice mass produced paratrooper for those surprise invasions.  If you want to be cute, you can summon a black servant and make him your prophet, then set him to reviving longdeads forever.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3269 on: July 27, 2017, 02:56:13 pm »

2.  Empower up to D2 and make a skull staff, then make a mound king and give him the staff.  Then have him make a spare mound king.
Revenants, you mean.
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 236