Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 517532 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #3405 on: September 14, 2017, 03:33:24 am »

Sounds like something glitched out the description and title for Life for a Life. Not sure what would have done that, exactly, but that does sound like the spell you're talking about.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3406 on: September 14, 2017, 04:05:28 am »

You seem to be right, as Life for a life is missing and stats are the same.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3407 on: September 14, 2017, 11:09:49 am »

I mean, if you call the devs getting paid a dark side.

$400 for a complete game is insane though.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3408 on: September 14, 2017, 11:49:01 am »

I mean, if you call the devs getting paid a dark side.

$400 for a complete game is insane though.

It's not $400 for a complete game, though; the $40 base game is perfectly fun by itself, and none of the expansions need other expansions to work. How does the existence of additional content devalue that?

Incidentally, a lot of that $400 is portrait packs and unit packs and other purely cosmetic things. Again, it exists if someone really thinks every unit on the map needs a unique portrait, but I don't see how the fact that it exists makes the base game less sensibly priced. (That's not to say it is sensibly priced, but still.)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3409 on: September 14, 2017, 01:08:22 pm »

"Complete game" as in "all the game's content." Obviously CK2 is playable with none of the DLC.

I'm thinking Star Citizen with everything they sell for cash on top of the game would be the only thing that comes close to that.

Remember when $50/month sub fees for MMOs were a thing though? $400 would have gotten you 8 months of a subscription on top of your $50 game purchase. Times have changed though, and what think is worth what has also changed.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3410 on: September 14, 2017, 01:38:20 pm »

"Complete game" as in "all the game's content." Obviously CK2 is playable with none of the DLC.

But no one is making you buy all the game's content; there's just a lot of it available.

It just seems silly to call a pricing model ridiculous based on a figure that no one is paying for an amount of content that very few people want all of. That seems to me to be equivalent to calling Steam overpriced because it would cost thousands upon thousands of dollars to buy all the games on Steam -- except that all of the expansions to CK2 work together.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3411 on: September 14, 2017, 01:40:20 pm »

But no one is making you buy all the game's content; there's just a lot of it available.

It just seems silly to call a pricing model ridiculous based on a figure that no one is paying for an amount of content that very few people want all of. That seems to me to be equivalent to calling Steam overpriced because it would cost thousands upon thousands of dollars to buy all the games on Steam -- except that all of the expansions to CK2 work together.

Are we trying to have a discussion about DLC? Because that wasn't my point. My point is, $400 is a lot of money for the complete experience a game offers. It's unusual even today.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3412 on: September 14, 2017, 01:58:25 pm »

Are we trying to have a discussion about DLC? Because that wasn't my point. My point is, $400 is a lot of money for the complete experience a game offers. It's unusual even today.

Which I would agree with. My point is this: if we accept games are worth money, then it follows that there is some quantity of game worth any given quantity of money. It's arguable whether the amount of game your $400 buys you is worth the money in CK2's case, but the bare fact that you can spend $400 on CK2-related content does not itself mean it's overpriced. That logic matters when comparing how to sell something like Crusader Kings or Dominions 4, where the learning curve is really steep; I'm simply saying that, if we're to compare the sequential releases and one-game-with-lots-of-DLC approaches, we need to look at the prices incrementally rather than looking at how much one person could possibly spend on any given title of either.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3413 on: September 14, 2017, 02:45:54 pm »

I'd agree that, pound for pound CK2 DLC doesn't really come up to the value its sold for. But it's also the kind of additional content people can "live" without, so it puts in the "if you wanna whale, that's your prerogative" category. Versus, say, if Dom released with 3 nations per era and every other additional nation was DLC.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3414 on: September 19, 2017, 07:39:37 pm »

What are the ranges of error in reporting neighboring provinces forces? Because me and EA C'tis both went for an indie province but I could only spot 60 of their guys, yet when entering the battle they had at least 120. I don't recall C'tis having any stealth units so can you actually get information that erronious, or did they use some other method to sneak some units in there? (I don't think we had enough time to do any serious research for army size artifacts).

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3415 on: September 19, 2017, 07:56:52 pm »

I want to say it can range from 25% - 200%. It might be 50% - 200%. Being off by a factor of 2 in either direction is possible though. It's towards the upper end of error, but it's possible.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3416 on: September 20, 2017, 09:27:08 am »

None of the enemy commanders had a Gossamer Cloth item, right? If someone in an army has that, it reduces the scouting troop report count by 25 men per cloth.

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3417 on: September 20, 2017, 12:04:57 pm »

So playing as ashod and my pretender got feebleminded by an ill advised attempt to scry. Any suggestions on how to fix this or do I just need to use it as a brain damaged sc?

If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3418 on: September 20, 2017, 01:53:25 pm »

Getting healers/nature gift

or

world domination and becoming retarded pantocrator, so the one, who dared to feeblemind you would regret doing so.

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3419 on: September 20, 2017, 02:28:49 pm »

Bandar log already regretted it after 15 blights on their capital. Well at least ashdod has national mages that can pull the weight.
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled
Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 236