Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 234 235 [236]

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 517560 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #3525 on: October 29, 2017, 03:52:14 pm »

I'unno man, some of those myth critters do a pretty good job of blasted hellscape, from what I recall. Usually not planet wide stuff, so it's still a possible step down from a sauron victory route, but... still. Sometimes they can be good or bad depending on how you treat it, sometimes they depopulate a nation because sod everything in it, it's in the way or summat.

Lot more didn't go the localized disaster route and "just" had a diet of human (parts) or somethin', too. Plenty of times they're capricious as all hell and whether or not you walk away on foot, crawling, or in something's stomach is effectively an RNG check. Roll whatever diplo number you feel the DC ain't a persuasion or etiquette check bub, shoulda' used that cha as a dump stat. You had your be polite ones and you had your run the hell away and pray you fall off a cliff or somethin' instead of get caught.

Basically y'might be underselling what "just live with it" would probably mean, heh. I'm not entirely sure a environment where those critters were actually around and active, as opposed to stories and the occasional event attributed to 'em, would be much more livable for humans than a mordor world tour. Lot of ways you'd basically be taking much of the many, many ills of mankind in the olden times and personifying the bunch of 'em. It's one thing where folks think they're real and a rather different one when they're physically walking down the street, ha.

There may indeed end up a with a lot more stuff still living, though. I'm just not entirely sure how much of it would be humans :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3526 on: October 29, 2017, 04:48:15 pm »

Vanarus/Bogarus summons would likely fit more into that category, as they can provide good fortune and safe travels but can also be incredibly vain and fickle. Yomi's demons are characterized as being malicious, sadistic and destructive, and they long for nothing more than to plunge the world into chaos and bloodshed.  They're only controlled and directed towards a common goal by someone bigger and meaner than they are promising death and torture to those who fall out of line.  Heck, Tsunekage slaughters his inferiors and publicly eats their hearts in order to make his forces obey his command.

...now what's funny here, of course, is that you've got nations like EA/LA Mictlan, where their units have a lot to do with life, nature and the wild (with the odd Tlahuelpuchi thrown in for good malevolent measure), but their dominion is almost certainly not conducive to anything living. At least not in any form of comfort, heh.

Also, I kinda feel that Sauron's obliterative nature is perhaps suffering from a bit of overselling. He's cruel and ruthless in achieving his goals, and much of Mordor and the surrounding areas have been clear-cut and strip-mined in order to make that a reality. But provided he actually managed to retake the world and fulfill his dreams of conquest? I really don't think he'd care to eradicate all life.  To my knowledge there's nothing saying that a Sauron-controlled middle earth would automatically be ground into dust, it's just that he uses whatever resources are available.

...and then some blasted half-man just walks in and ruins everything anyways. What a sham.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3527 on: October 29, 2017, 06:28:10 pm »

...it's worth remembering that if you're a serf, capricious and seemingly whimsically malicious lords are what you're already dealing with to a not-insignificant degree. Life for the highborn humans is definitely better under Jomon; it'd be less pleasant under Shinuyama but possibly still tolerable; it'd be awful under Yomi. Life for the lowborn would be awful in slightly different ways in all three cases.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3528 on: October 29, 2017, 06:40:04 pm »

Jomon at least has their own species in the power positions, even if they do still get treated as disposable pawns by them... And the various kami are generally pretty alright towards the lowborns.

Sure beats LA Ulm.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3529 on: October 30, 2017, 12:16:35 am »

I've just had two gurus mind duel two sages, and in both cases both duellists died.
Is this normal? I've never seen it happen before.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #3530 on: October 30, 2017, 12:56:04 am »

I've just had two gurus mind duel two sages, and in both cases both duellists died.
Is this normal? I've never seen it happen before.

Mind Duel is quite simple, both sides roll and add their base astral magic to that, if I remember right. Boosters, communions, Power of the Spheres, Light of the Northern Star do not apply to increase your odds.

Considering a Sage is S1, and a Guru is S2, it would be:
Sage Roll + 1 VS Guru Roll + 2. With a Tie both Duelists die

The Guru has an advantage yes, but losing 0 for 2 would not be unreasonable. A tie would be a bit stranger as the dice would have to line up in a very particular way, but again, strange but not unreasonable.

Really, the oddity I saw is that my sage won the first duel, killing the attacking Guru, but the second duel, a tie killed both my sages... Which is what makes me scratch my head... (Is Magic Duel actually AoE 1 and not single target? As both of the Sages were on the same square.)

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3531 on: October 30, 2017, 01:09:32 am »

It's magic, man. Nobody can even.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3532 on: October 30, 2017, 01:10:37 am »

Obviously, the second was killed by a flying chunk of skull when the first's head exploded.

IIRC, there was a consensus that it was doing an AoE, and that it shouldn't be. I'd report that in the bug thread on Steam; as JK is in active dev mode for Dom5 right now, but still reading/responding to the Dom4 bug thread, it seems like a good time to maybe see it squashed.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3533 on: October 30, 2017, 04:17:46 am »

Ahh yes, Magic Duel... Bane of SCs and important casters everywhere.

Except for the colossal fetish, because he can't be affected by it even if he does take Astral.
Pages: 1 ... 234 235 [236]