Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [RAWS] Clearer wood processing  (Read 1515 times)

FrozenGecko

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
[RAWS] Clearer wood processing
« on: June 18, 2013, 07:11:31 pm »

Just getting back into Dwarf Fortress after a couple of years - Masterwork is awesome!

As a newbie to the mod, making scrap wood from smooth wood didn't make sense - until I gleamed from the raw's that smoothing wood is removing the bark. Made some simple changes to make the processes clearer, and added papyrus from the bark (not the ideal of having the bark a byproduct that can be made into papyrus, but just 'while we were here, we made papyrus and wood for you..')

Code: [Select]
(from reaction_masterwork.txt)

[REACTION:SCRAPWOOD_MAKING]
[NAME:cut smooth wood into scrapwood (x2)]
[BUILDING:TIMBERYARD:CUSTOM_C]
[REAGENT:A:1:WOOD:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT_MAT:NAKEDWOOD:WOOD]
[PRODUCT:100:2:WOOD:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT_MAT:SCRAPWOOD:WOOD]
[PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
YESDUST[PRODUCT:100:1:BOULDER:NONE:INORGANIC:SAWDUST][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[SKILL:WOODCUTTING]

[REACTION:BARK]
[NAME:smooth (remove bark) from wood]
[BUILDING:TIMBERYARD:CUSTOM_B]
YESSIMPLEWOOD[REAGENT:A:1:WOOD:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT_MAT:ROUGH:WOOD]
[PRODUCT:100:1:WOOD:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT_MAT:NAKEDWOOD:WOOD][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[PRODUCT:100:1:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_PAPYRUS:INORGANIC:BLANK_LIBRARY]
[PRODUCT:90:1:SEEDS:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT_MAT:TREE_SMALL:SEED]
YESDUST[PRODUCT:100:1:BOULDER:NONE:INORGANIC:SAWDUST][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[SKILL:WOODCUTTING]

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: [RAWS] Clearer wood processing
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 10:12:04 pm »

I plan a better wood working system once the multiple-tile trees are out and actual products can be done with them.

Personally, I think adding the papyrus (which I make of plants) breaks the balance a bit, because wood is used for paper. I wanted leather, wood and plants as reagents for the books. Of course modding a mod is absolutely fine, but dont you get a sort of overproduction of papyrus this way?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

FrozenGecko

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: [RAWS] Clearer wood processing
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 10:35:11 pm »

Far as balance goes, a single wood log can currently be made into scrap, and then produce 6 paper (or be made directly into paper for 3). So it's adding 13% to the library stocks - which could be adjusted for by reducing the paper output in the press.

I was mainly thinking of providing a more substantial reason for requiring smooth wood as a reagent for scrap wood production - it didn't make sense to me initially. From a paper making focus, making something useful out of the bark is a good reason to enforce the workflow of removing the bark first, before scraping & pulping it.

When focusing on paper, without a useful byproduct to smoothing wood, it stood out as being busywork.