Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hunting oddities?  (Read 1468 times)

Excaerious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hunting oddities?
« on: June 19, 2013, 01:17:43 am »

I'll start with the backdrop that I have experience with DF, at least lightly modded vanilla DF.

Using either Kobolds or Orc's using MDF latest whenever I turn on hunting they never end up hunting. Instead I get the Kobold/Orc simply running to and for seemingly trying to pick up the ammo they desire. They have quivers, the related weapon, and I even have hunting options changed so they only pick up that type of ammo. Nothing. I tried forbidding that specific ammo, and the orc refused to do anything after that. Not sure what's going on.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: Hunting oddities?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 11:00:18 pm »

Works fine for me. 

Would like to help, but since you say you're experienced player, I'll spare you the newbie tips :)  If you want to post a save I'd look at it.

edit.  Unless you drafted him into a military squad in which his military weapon is different type then his favorite hunting weapon.  But then that borders on newbie tip ;)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 11:04:46 pm by smakemupagus »

Excaerious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 11:40:36 pm »

It could be a small dumb mistake, or something I am missing fundamentally. I hope it isn't for the sake of saving face. Regardless, here is the save. Watch Dumm Thashumtala, the camera should already be on him, he is just gonna keep looking at the arrows over and over. Excuse my messy game too, I haven't been able to play seriously cause of this issue.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 02:00:12 am »

(1)  Well, you're not crazy, Duum Thashuumtalata is flipping out, and it's not obvious why.  He has already like ~5 hunting kills in the past, so I don't know what's up.  Maybe because he became legendary he doesn't like civilian work anymore .. that used to happen in old versions of the game.  Is that still a thing?

edit:  After reading up a bit on the Wiki i tried a prescribed fix, turn off his hunting labor for a few ticks and back on.  works like a charm, he quickly went and got arrows, took a nap, and then went out and hunted a bunch of storks.  So, vanilla bug/feature.

(2)  It's not like orcs don't know how to hunt in general.  i made some extra bows and arrows and assigned about 5 other hunters, they're all happily out there blasting away like yosemite sams.  The other hunters wiped out several herds of wildlife: giant hares, wrens, grimelings. 

(3)  Testing came to an end pretty quickly, as elven longbowmen appear on the ridge overlooking the whole base and we have no military ^^

From the point you loaded the game for me, it's certainly winnable if you prepare fast, you have a couple months. 
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 02:41:54 am by smakemupagus »

Excaerious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 03:40:19 am »

I guess I didn't turn hunting off long enough, but thanks for letting me know I wasn't crazy, it was driving me insane.

Also, Duum Thashuumtalata is a god among orcs. For the first year of the game he did nothing but MISS on much wild game, there was many more animals around then he killed. Suddenly, I looked back and he was Legendary and starting going crazy like so.

Yeah. I didn't prepare much of anything and embarked pretty damn close to Elves. This was my 2nd or so test game where I was just looking at features since I was new to the Orc Fortress side. Thanks for the help again.

Blackdot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 05:24:55 am »

I guess I didn't turn hunting off long enough, but thanks for letting me know I wasn't crazy, it was driving me insane.

You need to turn hunting off and wait hunters to drop weapons and bolts/arrows, then turn it on an it will be alright.