Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: barrels and jugs for brewer  (Read 7162 times)

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: barrels and jugs for brewer
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2013, 06:37:21 am »

This is relevant to my interests.  Well done!

Dwarf Kitty

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeking owner to adopt
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2013, 01:08:13 am »

My problem with stoneware is finding clay, or hauling clay.

Find an embark site with Deep Soil and you're almost guaranteed of finding at least one wide layer of clay.

Also, too bad we couldn't trade between forts.  My current fort is swimming in kaolinite, dark red clay boulders that make porcelain.  Bonus:  Porcelain doesn't need glazing.  I even got lignite for elf-approved fuel!

As for hauling, here's an idea:  Use gravity!

Make a stairs going as far down as you can.  Channel out a single tile next to the staircase, giving you a chute.  Set a single-tile dump zone over the channelled tile at the top.  Then, dump the clay into a quantum stockpile near your magma kilns.  Unforbid the clay that lands, and you're good to go!
Menaces with swipes of claw.
Meows with rumbles of purr.

A cute fluffy little creature fond of idle games, DF, and writing.

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2013, 01:26:22 am »

My problem with stoneware is finding clay, or hauling clay.

Find an embark site with Deep Soil and you're almost guaranteed of finding at least one wide layer of clay.

Also, too bad we couldn't trade between forts.  My current fort is swimming in kaolinite, dark red clay boulders that make porcelain.  Bonus:  Porcelain doesn't need glazing.  I even got lignite for elf-approved fuel!

Stoneware weighs 47% more than earthenware, and porcelain weighs 77% more - almost as much as stone.  Stoneware's probably worth it, but I wouldn't bother with porcelain unless magma is readily available.  Readily available lignite does not make fuel free; you'll chew through that in no time when making steel.

As for hauling, here's an idea:  Use gravity!

Make a stairs going as far down as you can.  Channel out a single tile next to the staircase, giving you a chute.  Set a single-tile dump zone over the channelled tile at the top.  Then, dump the clay into a quantum stockpile near your magma kilns.  Unforbid the clay that lands, and you're good to go!

To automate this, you can set a minecart to dump into the chute (just like setting up a quantum stockpile).  I suppose there's a risk of dwarves being hit with falling objects, though.
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.
Pages: 1 2 [3]