Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dawn of Fantasy - An MMORTS  (Read 2377 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dawn of Fantasy - An MMORTS
« on: June 20, 2013, 09:51:18 am »

Saw this game on steam, bought it, and it seems good so far.

You basically have Humans, elves, and orcs and you can choose one of these races, start somewhere in your selected culture/environment, and play a stretched out RTS with a world map.

Good things:

- Large amount of starter quests, kept me entertained for hours

- Has sieges with siege equipment and breakable walls

- interesting feature where you can loot corpses for war spoils

- actual RTS controls

- always seems to be a fight if you want one

Bad things:

- Places you can build are predetermined (this is probably a good idea for the walls, but it's no fun not being able to have control over how your city looks). I saw a video where you could place some things manually, but have yet to see it in-game.

- Little buggy. Had some of my peasants/wardens get stuck in water for a while.

- Seems to be pay to win. You can get just about everything with "crowns". Not sure on how expensive they are.

----------------------------------------------

So post about what you think of the game. Maybe some tips or how much you hate it and how broken it is  :P

If enough people show interest, I'll probably try to get a group together.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dawn of Fantasy - An MMORTS
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 10:01:03 am »

You can get Crowns in-game as well, but yeah the Crowns kind of upset the balance a bit.

I played it a bit when it came out, but I'm mainly waiting for the Siegeworks update to fix the pathfinding and AI issues. I keep trying to Total War this, and forget there's no double click to run, or drag to form formations...

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 11:22:39 am »

Let me get this straight-you have to buy the game, but there are still other things you need to pay real money for?  How is this not a complete ripoff?
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 11:24:33 am »

Let me get this straight-you have to buy the game, but there are still other things you need to pay real money for?  How is this not a complete ripoff?

Nowhere do you NEED to buy Crowns. They're just like say the uhm... the... Crystals? In GW2?

You earn some Crowns free everyday as well, I think. It's been a while.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 11:25:20 am »

Sadly there is no drag for formations, but I have gotten running by double clicking.

And you NEED crowns to get certain upgrades. If they didn't have a way to get them in-game, it would become pay to unlock parts of the game.

You get crowns from doing the quests, and I believe there is something else but I forgot.

I may be confusing what online play is.... does it randomly put me in with other players? Or do I have my own world, and have to invite others? Because I haven't seen anyone else yet.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 03:19:03 pm »

No dwarves ;)? I'm not really interested anyway. And broke.

Let me get this straight-you have to buy the game, but there are still other things you need to pay real money for?  How is this not a complete ripoff every other MMO game?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 03:24:08 pm »

Not sure if this matters or not. But when I uninstalled it (got it for free a while back)...there was literally over 2000 registry entries that CCleaner detected and removed that all belonged to Dawn of Fantasy. I have never played a game where there was even 50 or even 25 or whatever registry entries that it had to remove. DoF had over 2000, and it wasn't from other programs either...it all was related to DoF.

So, I will never install it again. I noticed my PC got a lot faster after it was all cleaned up.

Very badly made, tech wise. Though maybe the Steam version is different, as mine was from the site download itself.

(edit: As for the game itself, it wasn't that bad. But, it felt like the MMO part was tacked on for the cash shop. Its more like a co-op game with an online chat room than an MMO. The devs however are rather active and friendly in my experience.)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 03:31:18 pm by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 11:56:52 pm »

Turns out that they will indeed be adding dwarves. I'm surprised at how early the game was. I got the impression that it was pretty much done.