Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Big tip for food early-on  (Read 3023 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Big tip for food early-on
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2013, 10:00:10 am »

Let me guess... they are only in a mod?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

UberFuber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2013, 10:21:51 am »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Helmet_snake
They're in vanilla DF.
They do have the issue of not-breeding without modding (then again, with 10-30 eggs, you'll have the problem of snake explosion if they breed).

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2013, 10:40:35 am »

Jesus... I have never seen them on the screen...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2013, 11:03:50 am »

If you need to drown in food Blue Peafowl (aka. peacock/peahen) is where it's at. Allow me to demonstrate:

Turkeys lay 12 eggs on average and provide 19 edible items and grow in 2 years. Blue Peafowl lay 7 eggs a year on average, yield 16 edible items, and mature in 1 year. Using a starting population of 1 female and one male I will now demonstrate how in 2 years blue peafowl will provide far more food than turkeys. I'm assuming that animals lay eggs once a year.

One peafowl would lay 7 eggs yielding a breading-age population increase of 450% (2 grew to 9), all during 6 months. 9*450% is 40.5, so on the end of year one you would have 40.5 full grown peafowl. At one and a half years you would have 182.5 peafowl, and at two years 820.125 peafowl.

One turkey would lay 12 eggs, and at the end of year one the breading age population of turkeys would be 14, meaning the population increased by 700% over a year. So 14*7 is 98 so at the end of year two the population of turkeys would be 98.

98*19 is 1862 edible items from the turkeys at year two, 820.125*16 is 13,122 edible items from the peafowl at year two. Ergo, peafowl are always better, because they grow twice as fast as turkeys, and before anyone mentions it they are also better than geese because they lay more eggs.

However, all those animals are going to crush your FPS so I recommend that you just farm stuff. You also can not brew animals.

Also as far as war animals are concerned I say you just embark in a savage biome and capture the local wildlife.
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2013, 11:10:12 am »

Peafowl also live two or three times as long as Turkeys, making them much more suitable for PBEWS (Poultry-Based Early Warning Systems).
Never pet a burning dog.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2013, 11:46:57 am »

C'mon, Giant Dingos is where it's really at.

Wait, everyone mods dingos to be egg-layers, right?

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2013, 12:50:59 pm »

WAR PIGS.

Rome IRL used to cover pigs in pitch and light them on fire whilst aiming them at the Gauls and other non Romans.
(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2013, 01:24:05 pm »

I usually get some turkeys and they lay plenty of eggs. Turkeys and geese. Eggs galore. Maybe I could capture some dragons next time...
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 01:26:51 pm by HavingPhun »

Bihlbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2013, 03:29:39 pm »

I've of course used birds before, but I don't really like doing that because it requires maintenance. It's simply easier to set up a farm with dedicated farmers who never end their toil, and supplement that with a fisherdwarf or two. Fishing is awesome for food, and you can get shells out of it. The only downside is that you can eradicate all the fish eventually, but if you add five zeros to the population numbers for all the fish, other things will go bad before their numbers do. I really like oceanside embarks for this reason, and because fire clay is usually found near the ocean.

I am Leo

• Bay Watcher
  • Ia ia Oggez Rashaz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2013, 03:57:00 am »

WAR PIGS.

Rome IRL used to cover pigs in pitch and light them on fire whilst aiming them at the Gauls and other non Romans.

I demand someone more competent than I mods this.

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2013, 06:51:34 am »

A bad method for this could be done relatively easily. Just set pigs to have a skin that ignites at room temperature. It could be entertaining.

Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mouthiest of Breathers
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2013, 03:16:58 pm »

Turkeys purchased from embark give 10 meat, 9 fat, 1 hide that can be made into leather, 6 bones (5 of which can be made into crafts or bolts) and 1 skull.

If you are breeding them then I'd still go with peafowls, even with the 50 bird limit on their numbers.

But if you are buying animals from embark to use immediately, I'd go with turkeys.

Basically, you can take care of your first militia squads armor and weapon requirements right away if you bring turkeys with you on top of having easy access to food.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2013, 12:55:56 pm »

Creatures born in-fortress have only a 10% chance of increasing in size as they grow. There's a fix in DFHack, but if you're not using that then 90% of your bird-raising time will be wasted.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

StoneToad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2013, 01:07:57 pm »

A bad method for this could be done relatively easily. Just set pigs to have a skin that ignites at room temperature. It could be entertaining.

Would storing them in nethercap cages work?
Pages: 1 [2]