Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: (Complete) Stringhames, adventures in a Masterwork fort  (Read 1167 times)

Dwarf Kitty

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeking owner to adopt
    • View Profile
(Complete) Stringhames, adventures in a Masterwork fort
« on: June 04, 2013, 04:19:46 am »

Okay, I had to give this a go after an epic sequence in my latest fort.   :)

First, the setup:
I'm using Masterwork 3a (great stuff, Meph!)  Beyond that . . .
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

We begin

So I genned a world, and the cursor began on a nice place:  Thick forest, temperate climes, calm surroundings.  Aquifiers were off.

My embark team is not much different from the default:  Four miners and equipment, three farmers.  One of the miners is also a mason, and one of the farmers is a woodcutter with axe.  Standard mining and tree-felling frenzy ensues . . .

The Chronicles of Urist Scribetables, dwarf reporter:  Part I

Failing Expeditions 101

Your humble reporter, Urist Scribetables, was sent by the Dwarf King to investigate some troubling reports out of the new outpost Stringhames.

What I found there was a strangely organized chaos, worse than other forts.  The expedition leader had succumbed to dehydration, leaving the fort without guidance.  The other dwarves were gamely trying to work on the initial plans, but they, too, were weakening without proper fluids.  They lacked both energizing alcohol and the clear stuff that falls from the sky.

The reason for the misery was obvious.  The outpost was succumbing to a common problem of dwindling supplies.

The expedition's seven dwarves had brought plenty of provisions, but several overeager migrants overwhelmed their supplies before a steady production the precious alcohol could be established.  The fort had plenty of natural fishing ponds, but winter befell them, and the murky waters iced over, leaving the fort without even that barest of necessities for survival.  Sadly, no one thought to build a well.

Without a leader, no one bothered to step up and be a trader for the caravans that came.  So no one found a way to purchase a few barrels of rum or beer.

Idiots!  They deserved to die of thirst and grief tantrums.

Author's note:

With the end of the fort coming so disappointingly soon, I tackled reclaimation.

Urist checks in . . .

The Chronicles of Urist Stringtables, dwarf reporter, Part II

Idiots Saved By a Mere Babe

Once again, I was sent by the Dwarf King to the troubled outpost known as Stringhames.  The first
expedition and far too many migrants had fallen victim to dehydration and mass death.  Yet, the first
miners did strike some good veins of metal ore, prompting the Mountainhomes to try again with a fresh
new expedition.

I traveled with a new wave of migrants, hoping that the two dozen or so of my travel companions would not be a strain on the fort's resources, as happened the last time I was there.

When we arrived at Stringhames, no one greeted us.  I had a sickening feeling in the pit of my stomach. 

This place is troubled, I thought.  Goblin invasion?  Another set of idiots?

Doc Killdorf looked over the first bodies we encountered in the spacious lobby just inside the cliff. 
Dehydration and tantrum fights, he diagnosed.

I groaned.  My worst fears realized.

Doc noted that some bodies were fresh.  Oh, how heartbreaking!  Had we left sooner, had we not gotten caught in that late winter snowstorm en route, we might have been able to save some.

Suddenly, we all heard a mewling.  At first, I thought it was one of the many cats and kittens around, fat on vermin.

Then, one of the bodies stirred.  To our collective amazement, a baby emerged from beneath it's dead
mother's beard!  One of the females in our migrant group immediately took to the little one.

Will wonders never cease!  There's hope for this place after all!

While the women cooed over the baby they named Hope, the masons prepared new sarcophaguses, and the others started gathering corpses for burial.  At least the reclaimation expedition had managed to properly interr most of the fallen from the initial expedition.

I left before they tapped a leader . . .

Author's note: 

I soldiered on, seeing how far this new wave would take me.

And then I came across the epic double-barreled sequence that spurred me to write this up.   ;D

Let's hear it from Urist . . .

The Chronicles of Urist Scribetables, dwarf reporter:  Part 3

Tragedy at the Trade Depot

Time for me to revisit the somewhat troubled outpost known as Stringhames for the third time.  It had fallen to dehydration once, and almost fell to that a second time.  (The ponds in the area ice over, and no one thinks to build a nice clean well.  Idiots.)  Would my third visit see the same?

I traveled with a new migrant wave of about thirty strong.  All had heard good things about Stringhames, mostly that it was a nice, quiet neighborhood.  This was true enough, but I worried that the Mountainhomes were downplaying the troubles of mismanagement too much in order to manage their own overpopulations and kick out undesirables.  I still had yet to see a thriving brew operation going in the outpost. much less a metalworks.

When we arrived, I was pleasantly surprised to see adults standing about.  They were grieving from some latest tragedy, to be sure, but they were adults in full beards.  This fort was starting to survive the harsh icy winters in this area.  Someone around here must have a brain!

Ah, no wonder.  They finally got around to electing a right proper mayor.  He greeted us warmly.

The migrants were welcomed by the fort.  A massive tragedy had just claimed about three dozen dwarves at the Trade Depot.  We replenished their population almost completely.

My nose for dwarfy news tingled.  I just had to inquire about the tragedy.  At least it couldn't have been mass dehydration this time around.

I learned that the mysterious dark drow had sent a caravan to Stringhames.  All had gone well through the conclusion of business.  (This mayor was not such an idiot, and had nominated a broker to handle the trades.)

However, just as the merchants released the Trade Depot and packed up, and swarms of free dwarves came to pick up the loot, a bold kobold decided to steal right under the drows' hooded noses.  The caravan guards, naturally, retaliated.

What happened next is speculation.  Maybe one of the drow shadowsnipers threw a fireball at the poor kobold and missed, hitting a barrel of imported wine.  A stray cave beetle was also in the area, so maybe its burning ichor heated the wrong thing up.

At any rate, something caught on fire.  Flames spread throughout the depot!  Many of the dwarves who were there just to transport goods either caught fire or died from smoke inhalation.  Both drow wagons burned, but the drowspiders pulling them escaped much harm and shot webs at the kobold.

A drow merchant stood outside in shock at the loss of property and life, too much in grief to attempt her limited dwarvish, and I didn't know any drowese.  The surviving drowspiders seemed to try to comfort her.

I do not understand their fascination with arachnids.  Give me a warm, purring cat any day.

Just as everyone was settling down and collecting corpses and the drowspider's wonderful silk, we all heard an animal roar!  I looked just in time to spot a machine operator transform into a huge, hulking werewolf!  I mean, this beast looked like he'd be a good match for an orc, and the orc might be the loser.  Everyone lingering over the first tragedy in the trade depot thought they'd be goners, including yours truly.

But the drowspider webbing was still all over the depot!  The werewolf got himself entangled in the webs, allowing the civillians excellent chances to get him before he got them.

Only, he was a tough bugger.  He still roared and snarled despite getting hit in every limb and appendage.  Not even disabling his legs seemed to slow him down as much as the drowspider webs did.  Those strange but valiant creatures died protecting the lone surviving drow merchant.  Not even this new danger roused her from her catatonic state.

Finally, the mayor proved he had a real brain and organized a couple squads.  They still did not have a
metalworks up yet (idiots!) so there were only wrestlers and marksdwarf hunters.  Even this did not finish off the werebeast.

Some babies wandered into the depot, despite all the danger.  Babies would be a mere snack for that hulking werewolf.  Yet there were some intrepid souls in those wee bodies.  One bit and latched on hard to the werewolf.  She did some new damage before the wolf tore her off of himself and then tore her to bits.

The epic battle within the webs raged on and on.  So long, in fact, that a human caravan arrived, not knowing all the tragedy that had befallen their drow colleagues in mercantile pursuits, and not knowing of the crippled yet still dangerous beast inside the trade depot.  This should be interesting, I thought to myself.

The fresh, well-trained, well-armed imperial caravan guards made short work of the deeply injured werewolf dwarf.  Even their caravan horses got in a few good kicks.

Everyone, including myself, erupted in joy.  The humans didn't know what to make of our little celebration.  They had merely killed a weak and injured werewolf, to their eyes.

Soon, it was time to get back to work.  The broker was debating what goods to order sent to the trade depot, and all available dwarves were picking up the endless supply of corpses to bury.

Meanwhile, some idiot had ordered the soil floors around the farm plots to be tidy and tiled, spliting the
masons between all that work and coffin-making.  I just hope the inevitable ghosts are gentle and quiet until everyone gets laid to rest.

I left with a wagonful of dwarfy interest stories to tell to the other Mountainhomes and outposts.
The drow merchant was still frozen like a statue, dripping wet with rain, near the trade depot.

Footnote:  While I was preparing this for the royal archives, I caught wind that the Mountainhomes were preparing to offer a barony to whomever wants it in Stringhames.  By all my personal gods, troubled Stringhames a barony!  Anything truly is possible in this crazy world.

Author's note:

I'll try to post updates as other interesting events appear.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 11:31:33 pm by Dwarf Kitty »
Menaces with swipes of claw.
Meows with rumbles of purr.

A cute fluffy little creature fond of idle games, DF, and writing.

Dwarf Kitty

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeking owner to adopt
    • View Profile
Re: Stringhames, adventures in a Masterwork fort
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 09:32:05 pm »

The Chronicles of Urist Scribetables, dwarf reporter:  Part 4

Catching up with Stringhames

It's been a while since your humble reporter had visited that slightly troubled fort called Stringhames.  So I traveled with the latest band of hopeful migrants to the now barony.  (By Armok's fiery beard, I still have a hard time believing that!)

The first thing we all noticed were the baaaas of the several dozen wooly goats of various sizes and ages pastured in the shadow of a small peak.  We could hear them at least a couple hills over.  Closer in, we heard the barking of what had to be a hundred dogs and puppies.  Then, I noted that even more cats were about than last time!

I asked Tholtig Hungrystole why they had so many animals about.  She answered, "This is what happens when forts haven't had a good invasion in a decade or so.  Pets multiply like rabbits.  Doc Killdorf keeps talking about 'snipping,' but the owners, to a one, are not letting Doc experiment on their furry family."

I shivered, wondering exactly what Doc would "snip."

She told me the butchers are trying to slay the excess animals, but there's only one butcher shop, and the animals are breeding faster than the butcher can chop them up.  Idiots!

Meanwhile, the drow merchant is still lingering near the site of much tragedy for her, the fire at the trade depot.  Poor evil thing.

Tholtig told me that the coffin masons had finally caught up with the loss of life in the tragedy, and have a goodly supply of coffins ready for the next mass casualty event.

Oddly, the latest dwarven caravan seemed to have decided to overwinter in the trade depot of Stringhames instead of trying to beat the snowy season as usual.  When I asked the caravan leader, Ngalak, about it, he just shrugged.  I tell you, that depot is cursed!

Baron Kib Ghoulishfroths is taking his own sweet time seeing the trade representatives from the more
civilized races, too.  Not that it matters much.  Stringhames is getting to be self-sufficient.

The baron took time out from between his trade meetings to greet me, not for an exclusive interview so much as to show off his beautiful throne.  Apparently, the ghost of someone in the original founding expedition of Stringhames wanted to commemorate the event, and possessed one of the current residents.

I have to say it is a gorgeous throne, made of tetrahedrite ore, and engraved with not only an image of the founding of Stringhames, but also the ascension of King Olin Immortalplague himself, the founder of the Violent Guild dwarf nation.  The current King Olin should come here to see this beautiful bit of functional art for himself.

There have been sightings of a gnomish werebull in the area.  Three or four times, the werebull had come into view while hunting, then transformed back into a gnome and slipped sheepishly away.  I was there to see it this time.  It chased a stray kitty, then attacked, of all creatures here, the poor orphaned drow.  It broke her legs, but transformed back into a friendly gnome before it could kill her.  Doc Killdorf and his nursing team are currently debating how and even if they can help her.

While they were debating, the full moon came again, and the drow transformed!  The gnome werebull's bite had cursed her!  Fortunately, her transformation lasted about mercifully short as the gnome's.  She only killed a drake, far as I could tell.

Such a sad end for her, if she gets killed because of her werebull curse.  After all, she survived the fire, and then escaped the vicious werewolf, both in the accursed trade depot.

Stringhames finally has a metalworks level chugging along.  They are starting to smelt and refine the ores in the mountain.  Besides the tetrahedrite ore their lovely new throne is made of, there's nice large veins of iron ore.  They have plans to armor most of the dogs running around in case their miners run into some dangerous creatures below.

Too bad there's no coal to be found.  Don't tell the elves, but Stringhames has to (mostly) make do with the forests above it.  They do farm their own fungiwood, but that is slow growing, and it will be easy to outpace that production.

There's no sand in the area, so there are no plans to build glass furnaces.  Yet one poor soul has it in his head to make some glass masterpiece.  No one is scrambling to purchase him glass and make the glass oven he demands, as there are more important things to do.

I left Stinghames before the inspired dwarf turned insane from lack of fulfillment.

Author's note: 

To be continued . . .

Dwarf Kitty

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeking owner to adopt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 03:49:21 am »

The Chronicles of Urist Scribetables, dwarf reporter:  Part 5

More Failures at Stringhames

Sadly, the drow merchant who was bitten and cursed by the gnomish werebull has been killed.  Where else but the accursed trade depot!  She transformed and wandered inside while a human caravan with very capable guards was waiting.  She fell mercifully quickly, poor dear.

And the gnome werebull that cursed her in the first place?  He was sighted a couple more times before being bested by a war dog pack.

Speaking of their trading troubles, I think I know why the diplomats seem to be lining up in long waits for meetings with Baron Kib Ghoulishfroths.  The idiot is trying to be baron, mayor, AND broker for the fort.  On the other hand, he is a brilliant, even legendary appraiser and the fort is reluctant to replace him as appraiser.

When I pointed this out to the baron, he agreed he was a bit overworked, and ceded his brokership to Zan, a young and eager chemist.

Ah, there are three butcher shops now to handle the overabundance of animals at troubled but quiet Stringhames.  Perhaps the cacaphony of meows, barks, and baas can be tamed soon.

Stringhames is now going literary.  The fort is starting to compile essays on things its dwarves have learned over the years, such as reclaiming forts, surviving loss, and the best ways to dig out mines.

Right before I intended to leave, a humongous, mountain-sized commotion was heard from the dining hall.  I rushed to see what had happened, only to nearly get beaned by a turkey roast right as my foot hit the food level of the fortress.  Most of the dwarves were fighting each other in the vinicity.  The cats and dogs and drakes themselves became upset and joined in the fracas.  Fur, scales, and beards were flying everywhere!

As usual in these situations, it was impossible to determine who started it.  The sod was probably already unconscious or dead.

Baron Kib retreated to the safety of his quarters, but he wasn't safe there.  Somehow, someone slipped inside and slaughtered him.  An elf diplomat was seen following the baron into the noble's quarters.  Everyone had presumed that the elf was simply heading in for a meeting, but what do we really know about our tree-effing elf friends?  Maybe the elf was an assassin, and the brawl was instigated as cover?

Why Armok managed to keep me safe from harm amidst the melee, I'll never know.

It's official:  Our Dwarf King is insane!

While I was recovering from the shock of the epic brawl and interviewing the survivors to make sense of it all, King Ashmon Pagepraised and a retinue of some 20 dwarves have decided to make haunted Stringhames the new capital!  This, despite scores of rotting corpses still strewn everywhere.

Then, just as the King was setting up his lords, someone killed his queen consort Edolth!  Now King Ashmon is wailing with anger and grief.  Even his guards succumbed to the strange infection, killing innocents before the civillians managed to bring them down.  Now, about a dozen or so dwarves are left in haunted Stringhames.

Your humble reporter is getting out before the king can strike him down -- or worse, the tantrums infect himself.

As I was composing this latest update back home in the old capital, we all recieved word that King Ashmon and his guards had perished in heroic battle against a dragon.  Right, a dragon named GriefTantrumSpiral.

And, once again, Stringhames has fallen.  The last few caravans to visit all reported a near chaos.  Workers weren't doing assigned chores, just fending for themselves and battling one another.  Everyone fell victim to a combination of starvation, dehydration, and their injuries.

Yet I hear rumblings the new king will try again at cursed Stringhames.  Are all our royalty idiots?

Author's note: 

Time for one more try . . .

Dwarf Kitty

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeking owner to adopt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 11:30:49 pm »

The Chronicles of Urist Scribetables, dwarf reporter:  Part 6

Third time's the charm?

It is now late 262.  Your humble reporter, Urist Scribetables, has ventured forth to haunted, accursed Stringhames, to see how the second reclamation is coming along.  With King Ashom of the Violent Guild dead without a successor, the dwarves of the Fiends of Strangling are trying their hand at putting this haunted fort to good use.

Outside was an absolute mess.  Clothing and the lighter items were strewn all about.  Inside, it wasn't much better.  Why do reclaimed forts always look like they were hit with one of those twisty surface windstorms, not matter how deep the levels are?

I found Thebil Droolirons, the latest expedition's leader, in the midst of a meeting just inside the fort.  "Don't go in there, Urist," she warned me as I was heading downstairs, deeper inside the mountain.  "We have a problem."

"What sort of problem?"

"Forest spider invasion," she replied.  "Got two or three of those huge spiders camping out on our main workshop level.  What's worse is they're right next to the stairs.  Shooting lots of nice, if sticky, silk webbing, but blocking the exit."

They were too few to mount any sort of decent attack, and dwindling fast because the spiders were blocking access to the dining halls.  Reinforcements of a sort did arrive, however, in the form of three or four migrants.  Probably the only ones who have yet to hear of Stringhames' troubles in its twelve years of existence.  These, too, quickly fell prey to the tangled webbing and dehydration.

I soon slipped away, leaving the troubled fort of Stringhames to the spiders and the ghosts.

After the past failures, no one else seems interested in trying to mine out the ore or otherwise reclaiming that fort.

Author's note: 

Here ends the story of Stringhames.  Thanks for reading!

sculleywr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (Complete) Stringhames, adventures in a Masterwork fort
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 02:01:54 am »

I ought to try this with my next fort. :) Mine would probably be very short, though
I had one get happy again... After producing a bed made from their own husband's body.
I once  had a fort called paddledbottom in the plains of spanking founded by the painful punishment
And so, in a thread about cointainers with usele