Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: do men have periods  (Read 5359 times)

Sigulbard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: do men have periods
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2013, 03:09:24 pm »

...What?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2013, 08:03:33 pm »

I occasionally experience day-long bouts of uncharacteristic lust or rage, but as far as I know it doesn't happen in any real pattern. Then again, I haven't ever tried to pay attention to it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2013, 09:31:07 pm »

As a 15 year old teenager, I can say that I have my off days where I DON'T feel like boning everything.
That's my 2 cents.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2013, 09:01:37 am »

As a fellow I can honestly say that I have no cycles at all affecting me besides perhaps the lunar calendar. I suppose my beard comes in a bit thicker in summer but that's about it.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 11:34:38 am by Owlbread »

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2013, 10:30:30 am »

I get moderate depression about once each month-and-a-half(sometimes it skips around, takes longer or shorter, or doesn't happen for halfyears at a time, but I think external circumstances contribute to keeping me happy). I also get pretty severe anxiety a few times a week.

I'd say I've had these issues since puberty, but they were both mild problems that I could handle well before I started messing with drugs, in particular ANTI-DEPRESSANTS made it worse... Which I was prescribed to solve the problems... Makes perfect sense.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2013, 11:33:30 am »

Men do not have a period or any sort of monthly cycle.
Incorrect.

A) Males experience a 24-hour Androgen Cycle, with a spike in Testosterone each morning which declines during the day, and affects behavior.

B) Evidence indicates that males with female partners alter their own Testosterone and Progesterone levels monthly, to match their partner's hormones.

C) Though some parts of the world still oppose the idea (they don't seem to like the concept that Men could be as hormonal as Women), "Andropause" is used to describe the decline in Androgens, and the resulting psychological and physical changes in males, as they reach old age.

D) Studies in the France, Australia, and the US indicate a yearly Male Androgen cycle as well, with hormone levels peaking in October (increasing sex-drive and competitiveness), and reaching their lowest in April (increasing emotional receptiveness and sensitivity). It's been hypothesized to be a timing mechanism, to encourage conception during the Fall and Winter, maintain pair-bonding throughout pregnancy, and situate childbirth and care-taking during the Spring and Summer.

Some reading, if you're up for some Science

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2013, 01:25:09 pm »

At least once or twice a month I get into a rut where all I can think about is finding someone to have children with, but that's probably because I have a strong desire to have children and because I have high testosterone. I won't go into detail about it but it's kind of annoying because it happens at least once or twice a month every month, and even more so when the weather is warm.
I really misinterpreted that the first time I read it, and got the picture that you actually went ahead and impregnated someone "once or twice a month."  :P
No, I'm saving myself for marriage.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2013, 01:46:50 pm »

This thread is so full of win.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2013, 09:47:33 pm »

I don't think they do. I only read the OP.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2013, 11:24:00 pm »

You must be on your tl;dr period stage.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2013, 11:34:29 pm »

You must be on your tl;dr period stage.
._.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2013, 02:48:56 am »

Men do not have a period or any sort of monthly cycle.
Incorrect.

The male hormonal cycles that people have been describing are very distinct from the monthly fertility cycle that the OP was asking about.  Andropause, like menopause, is largely related to age and occurs once in your lifetime. Which is to say it's not a cycle at all. Of the cycles mentioned, he daily androgen cycle is exactly what it says - a daily cycle, not a monthly cycle. The seasonal and pheromone-based hormonal changes are based on environmental factors, not on time. If a man moves from America to Australia in December, his seasonal hormonal levels would be expected to adjust from the "winter" portion of the cycle directly to the "summer" portion, simply because he's traveling from a place where it's winter to one where it's summer. Similarly, if he were to break up with his partner, his cycle would quickly desynchronize from hers due to a lack of exposure to the pheromones causing it.

So, while there's definitely hormonal changes and even cycles in men, none of them could reasonably be described as a "monthly cycle" or even as periodic on a day by day rather than hour by hour basis.
Pages: 1 [2]