Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fun with gravity in arena mode  (Read 661 times)

Slashes-With-Claws

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fun with gravity in arena mode
« on: June 21, 2013, 10:43:55 am »

It was a slow day at work so I loaded up DF and was messing around in arena mode.  As I am sure you all know, pressing w then l makes a rock wall, so I thought it might be fun to try this in the air.  Doing this on the highest Z level leaves a floating rock, but one lower and it falls.  The arena did not survive long.  I ended up collapsing the lava pyramid, collapsing the bridge in the upper right part, punching holes in the fort, and even breaking through the floor in the lowest part of it the map in the upper right.

Upon seeing the large hole in the floor with blue showing through I decided to do some science on it.  Spawned a test subject, took control, and walked into the "Open Space".  Turns out humans can fly when over void in the arena.  Indeed the status bar said "Flying"  I could not move elsewhere in this void, or fall, but I could step back onto the stone floor.  Second test, test subject spawned at highest Z level directly above the center of the void hole.  They fell, sprawled, and took no damage and were flying.  They were also unable to move as they were surrounded by "Open Space", even Alt move would not work.  So, seems there is an odd bug on the arena that a character cannot fall into the void.

Also, it is surprisingly fun to drop a rock into a cluster of characters and see what happens.  Or onto the fort and watch it punch through several floors.  Strange stuff about flying over void though.  Anyone else do weird messing around with the arena?
Mary had a Little Lamb...

...BUT I ATE IT!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Fun with gravity in arena mode
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 03:55:32 pm »

Mainly ridiculous pitched battles and hypothetical scenarios.

There was that one time as a demonstration for my friends I modded in an incredibly powerful metal. The thing was, it was incredibly volatile and prone to vaporizing in a cloud of pink smoke.
I would arrange fights with them, seeing units of Titanic proportions fighting until someone or some temperature check ticked and everything exploded. Or sometimes someone would win and walk off, or you would see random bits of armour and weapons vaporizing for no discernible reason.
Even arranged the notorious 3 bunny vs elephant scenario, where I got one of them to try and take the elephant down. He failed.
[It is possible!]

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It started off as that. Then I got bored again and one upped it.

Then I got bored and one upped it.

And then I thought up a scenario. Many things were tested, of note was that I discovered in a humanoid against humanoid engagement the force which holds the fortified high ground with artillery will win as long as they maintain supplies.

And I've used it to conduct many and more esoteric scenarios since.

As well as damming the river so that the entire south-east side floods (you have to close the bottomless pits first).

Also those floating rock pillars appear as the roof is not actually sky, but a literal ceiling. The sky is the limit because it supports the walls. I'm tempted to do a new Arena mode scenario, but I'll probably learn how to mod the environment first.