Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 490089 times)

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #1050 on: July 29, 2013, 08:44:37 am »

I would like a modding turn, please.
See? Too many wild animals are automatically hostile and extremely dangerous.
In general, almost all of the creatures made by this community want to kill you. Most of them are also very good at doing so.

Added. I'm also adding Mastertea to the front page.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: July 29, 2013, 08:59:00 am »

Just genned a world and I've begun play testing. the first thing I noticed was that the apple tree processing reaction at the lumber yard doesn't work (or I'm doing it wrong). It requires something called "Apple Tree Plant Logs" and I haven't been able to acquire those. Are they supposed to drop from the apple trees you cut down or do I have to gather/cut a special "fruit bearing" apple tree?

Edit: Aaaand I've lost my settlement. A group of 40 water striders came along, the poor guys didn't stand a chance :(

Confirmed. Water strider cluster size is 3-5 so the reason for there being 40 is unknown. Apple tree processing currently does NOT work, since apple trees leave apple wood logs usable for building and not apple tree logs. This is because changes were not added to the apple tree (which is correct by the rules but I did give permission to add them, I don't know if this was the cause of the confusion).

Current:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Should be:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

After that change, the reaction is automatic and seems to work as intended. (the only strange thing is it leaves e.g. "apple [2], apple, apple" which will probably be then stockpiled separately, but this is seemingly unavoidable for now unless you want to get rid of the randomness)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: July 29, 2013, 09:45:55 am »

Water strider cluster size is 3-5 so the reason for there being 40 is unknown.
Sorry, I should clarify. I was at the convergence of two minor rivers, with a big lake down in a crater.A few groups of them drifted in and settled in the crater lake. I had no idea what to expect from them, so I ignored them because they were, as far as I knew, unable to see my halflings at the top of the cliffs. My fisherman went down there at some point and they started chasing him. He ran away and led them back to my wagon.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: July 29, 2013, 10:52:09 am »

I think my next project might be add some non-water strider river beasties.

Cherry trees are now more or less functional. They still need some polish though. Ultimately I plan to have apple, cherry, avocado, coconut, lemon, and some sort of made up deep tree as my fruit trees. Banana is probably going to be a very long lived shrub, I don't think it gives useful wood IRL. Exploding lemons might wind up being a thing eventually.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 11:00:09 am by kopout »
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: July 29, 2013, 11:36:38 am »

Do we have actual fish yet?
We should give them a syndrome that mimics mercury poisoning.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: July 29, 2013, 11:40:50 am »

Okay, the water strider thing is a bug I've known about and been unable to fix. Many pages ago, I posted a minor report of them tearing apart one of my expeditions on basically Day One. Then, I had started on a single river - no conflux, waterfall, lake, nothing - and there were around 20 of them swimming happily around. They're like carp that can breathe air, and for whatever reason arrive in forces that would make vanilla goblin sieges look tame  :-\

@HugoLuman, feel free to start posting lovely butterflies and such :) We've provided the predators, and if you want some happy non-domesticated critters to dilute them, go ahead and make them yourself. I look forward to them (especially if you can get the dirigizelle functioning). Also, I'm trying to make a few benign wild animals myself, so that should help.

@mastahcheese, We have actual fish - trilobites, ammonites, and sea ants, as sea vermin, and sea scorpions (and giant ones) as ocean predators that are aquatic. I think someone else posted some sea life, too, but I can't for the life of me remember who. Sackhead, perhaps?
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: July 29, 2013, 11:42:07 am »

Do we have actual fish yet?
We should give them a syndrome that mimics mercury poisoning.

There are fish*, and that only makes sense if there's mercury pollution from industrial use.

Instead, add pufferfish, that cause numbness of the tongue and then full paralysis if prepared and eaten, to the fish repertoire. It's better if they are somewhat rare so you may think fishing is still a somewhat good idea.

*water insects

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: July 29, 2013, 11:48:02 am »

Maybe if you just prepare them normally they are poisonous, but if you extract them first then they are safe?
Would give fish extraction a purpose.
The Derail Thread

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: July 29, 2013, 11:57:39 am »

I honestly don't know if that's possible, but you could add prepare pufferfish as an automatic detoxifying reaction that uses fish dissection in the kitchen. So if you have an idle fish dissector, good. If not, bad.

Likewise you could actually have a lot of toxic animals and things that only become safe to eat after dissecting/broiling/processing.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: July 29, 2013, 12:04:54 pm »

Hey! You could do that to make tarnish stalks edible!
The Derail Thread

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: July 29, 2013, 12:16:22 pm »

Tarnish stalk ---broil tarnish stalks (herbalism, kitchen)---> broiled tarnish stalks + tarnish stalk tarnish (usable for invader defense) ---> tarnished vodka/prepared food
that would save a thousand tears. Even our newest playtesting story fort brought a ton of toxic stuff and is just waiting to find out.

Then you could also add a "dump toxic barrel/bucket contents" reaction to get rid of the toxins or spread them on the ground if that works.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1061 on: July 29, 2013, 12:21:04 pm »

Or use dfhacks SPATTER_ADD to put it on weapons, ammo and trapparts.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: July 29, 2013, 12:21:27 pm »

Tarnish stalk ---broil tarnish stalks (herbalism, kitchen)---> broiled tarnish stalks + tarnish stalk tarnish (usable for invader defense) ---> tarnished vodka/prepared food
that would save a thousand tears. Even our newest playtesting story fort brought a ton of toxic stuff and is just waiting to find out.

Then you could also add a "dump toxic barrel/bucket contents" reaction to get rid of the toxins or spread them on the ground if that works.
I just set mine to dump, then they pick it up with their bare hands somehow and chuck it wherever you tell them.
But I think I might do that.
The Derail Thread

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: July 29, 2013, 12:50:47 pm »

One of my goals for this turn is adding plenty more fishable creatures. Say, does this latest version of the RAWs include the apple wood fix?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: July 29, 2013, 03:12:47 pm »

I think it's actually still sackhead's mod turn
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 261