Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 492844 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #1350 on: August 06, 2013, 08:11:48 pm »

Any more ideas what to do with Cephalopods? I've got amphibious swamp ones planned, as well as some river ones and two fishable ones: a tiny river octopus and an amphibious swamp nautilus.

Got an idea for an eldricht abomination, but it would take a while to make, so it's not going in right now.
It's called The Carousel. It's one big wheel-shaped thing, with about 14 armored knights on it. The knights are fully formed on their own but attached to the Carousel by poles. Should they be severed, the Carousel reanimates them, fully healed. While whole, the monster attacks with all the swords and body parts of 14 knights.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: August 06, 2013, 08:32:50 pm »

It will only hold a sword in one hand. The rest will hold shields. (unless they are body parts rather than equipment.That would be even worse more fun.) You could make the swords and sheild body parts that just happen to be made of iron and exist in the place of hands.
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: August 06, 2013, 08:34:43 pm »

Of course I'd make the swords body parts. Megabeasts can't be set to bring weapons (or at least, not specific weapons). It wouldn't have shields, as creatures can't use BP's to block.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: August 06, 2013, 09:18:16 pm »

What non-intelligent creatures exist in the marshes and swamps, currently?  Those areas are going to be the main only settled areas (outside of player choice) that my lizardkin will be using, so I need to know how much I need to increase the difficulty in those areas.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: August 06, 2013, 09:22:14 pm »

Mallards and giant poisonous bugs. I'm currently working on many many cephalopods to inhabit those areas.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: August 06, 2013, 09:40:06 pm »

Zanzetkuken, I think you'll be the first modder to actually focus on vertebrates since the invention of the duck by Halfling.

Did I add large poisonous insects to swamps? I think the only thing I meddled with there was the dengue mosquitoes. So, normal-sized bugs. Maybe some water striders, too, but I think I limited those to rivers  :-\
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: August 06, 2013, 09:47:30 pm »

Thing about Swamps, is that they're full of rivers. But wetlands are pretty empty right now, aside from the ducks, striders in the rivers, and a small cephalopod in freshwater wetlands.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: August 06, 2013, 09:59:12 pm »

...seriously, there's nothing?

I foresee problems when I am defining bodies like this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: August 06, 2013, 10:20:46 pm »

Zanzetkuken, I think you'll be the first modder to actually focus on vertebrates since the invention of the duck by Halfling.

Did I add large poisonous insects to swamps? I think the only thing I meddled with there was the dengue mosquitoes. So, normal-sized bugs. Maybe some water striders, too, but I think I limited those to rivers  :-\
The dirigible gazelles are vertebrates! Of a sort. And water striders will leave the rivers to attack any thing else on the embark. I once had them follow me to the edge of the map (were I had retreated when, to my horror, the river turned out to be a stream not a brook) to kill the expedition's doctor. Those things are worse than tarnish stalks in that tarnish stalks can be deselected on the embark screen but water striders force you to avoid all water bodies larger than brooks.

I'm going to be adding in river, lake and ocean wildlife after I finish the trees so that the number of waters striders will be reduced.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 10:22:41 pm by kopout »
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: August 06, 2013, 10:45:42 pm »

i added elephants (kind off)
also i am thinking of making a bunch of elephant like harmless animals to fill in the world, if anyone is interested.
one idea i had was was a "Rocketphant" a small (about the size of a miniature horse) grazer that can use a flee reaction that shoots a blast of air out its trunk letting it fly very fast for a short amount of time (much like leting the air out of a balloon) and then crashing to the ground for Hilario results.
i was going to make them in my modding turn but i ran out of time 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 10:51:36 pm by sackhead »

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: August 06, 2013, 10:55:15 pm »

My seventeen types of dragons with eight variations per gender will dominate the vertebrates category.

Interesting thing to note, I made the tile colors for dragons blend in with the terrain, in addition to the scale color variations.  (ex. glacial biome dragons have a white tile to signify their scale coloration.  While it is easy to see inside your fort, you won't see them coming before it is too late.  Mountain ones have an opposite effect, in that, while you will likely be able to pick them out with minor difficulty outside, it will be a pain trying to find them in a fortress mined in gray stone.)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: August 06, 2013, 11:25:01 pm »

also i am thinking of making a bunch of elephant like harmless animals to fill in the world, if anyone is interested.
one idea i had was was a "Rocketphant" a small (about the size of a miniature horse) grazer that can use a flee reaction that shoots a blast of air out its trunk letting it fly very fast for a short amount of time (much like leting the air out of a balloon) and then crashing to the ground for Hilario results.
That's kind of the dirigible antelope's thing, though.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: August 07, 2013, 01:19:26 am »

Part 5: In which yet another megabeast is defeated by a big spider
-----

From the Journal of Gnorm Foul Psyche Witch:

16th Granite, 556

We now have an underground farm in the fort. This should help us maintain our food stocks.

Two drawbridges have been built in the entrance. I hope to have them connected to levers soon.

17th Slate, 556

A few of migrants have arrived; they likely expected a city, and not a hole in the sand. We have:
1 Shearer
3 Hunters
1 Blacksmith
1 Mechanic
1 Potash Maker
1 Metalcrafter
1 Wood Burner
1 Weaponsmith

I'll see if I can make any use out of them.

14th Felsite, 556

The caravan has arrived today. Trading shall commence shortly.

15th Felsite, 556

Those idiotic traders! As soon as they got within ranger of the fort their cargo blew up and they fled for the hills! When will halflings learn to not tamper with nature?

On a happier note, my wife has given me three more daughters: Siege Fieldhalfling, Loving Blackpumpkin, and Gall Homechief.

16th Felsite, 556

The forested caravan has arrived today. We might actually get a chance to trade with this one, as they tend to not dabble in alchemy.

26th Felsite, 556

We finally have a working well in Fort Mastertea!

Now, if we ever have to completely close up the entrance, we'll be able to survive with drinking water.

17th Hematite, 556

Damn it! Just as I was beginning to believe that my family and I would make it, a Man-eater has arrived to ruin everything. I have but one hope, I must order everyone inside and shut the gate. I hope there is time.

20th Hematite, 556

Some more migrants have come; I hope they'll make it past the Man-eater.

21st Hematite, 556

Thank the gods! thank the theraphosae!

The beast has been slain, and the fort is safe once again. We can now resume our ordinary functions.

23rd Malachite, 556

Today our craftsman withdrew from society, for lack of a better term. If the observations of my predecessors are accurate, this may be bad for the fort.

12th Galena, 556

Our secretive craftsman claimed our new clothier's shop today. I hope, for the sake of this fort, that he completes his project.

18th Galena, 556

The merchant's caravan has arrived today. If it doesn't explode, I might be able to obtain cut gems for my craftsman.

28th Galena, 556

We managed to get some gems to satisfy our craftsman. The last thing we need is another madman running about. Fort Mastertea is, however, gradually growing, and it may actually grow into a decent place to live. Below is a crude drawing of it.

Autumn arrives tomorrow; I swear that this fort will last as long as is necessary for the survival of us all!
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: August 07, 2013, 02:25:15 am »

That's kind of the dirigible antelope's thing, though.

I disagree , the Dirigible antelope drifts around slowly snacking on tree tops and remains in the year unless shot down.
the Rocketphint however is ground dwelling and shoots air out of its trunk when spooked moving very quickly and erratically, often coming down in an explosion of gore hence the "Rocket" apposed to the slow elegant Drifting of the "Dirigible" antelope.
basicly a bottle rocket made out of meat compared to a helium balloon

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: August 07, 2013, 04:20:07 am »

I've used entire communities within biomes to abstract the interactions of creatures, so your "caste" take on biomes is a very welcome thought.  I've often wondered if it would be feasible to mod each species of animal as a "race", then trace their interactions in that manner.  (A bit anthro, I know, but it might work nonetheless.)  Since there would be no non-sentient life other than the plants, the various wars over "eating of sentients" could be quite widespread.

I suppose a caste biome where one race diverged into various castes filling the roles needed to perpetuate the biome (like Niven's Ringworld) would be another way to do it: farms requiring fertilizing each regrowth, that fertilizer coming from a necro-dwarf processing a dead body at a special workshop, "vampire" or "were-creature" dwarves fulfilling the roles of predators (always-on = "carnivores", sometimes on="omnivores"), while normal dwarves fulfill the roles of herbivores, consuming the products of the new farms.  The trick in a setup like that would be in keeping enough new births happening to replenish but not overburden the system.  A fine balancing act.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 261