Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 491204 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #1395 on: August 08, 2013, 03:54:49 pm »

Zanzetkuken, have at it please!

Already working!  Unzipped my files are at 110 kilobytes, and counting.  Going to use black color MTG cards for ideas on what to add to swamps.  Marshes are going to remain how they are, so they can serve as an area Lizardkin can build up within.

Also, who has made syndromes?  I need to contact them for buffing Lizardkin immune systems.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1396 on: August 08, 2013, 04:03:07 pm »

Yeah, Urborg Panther, Breathstealer and the Spirit of the Night... ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: August 08, 2013, 04:07:20 pm »

Bear in mind that when adding danger to swamps (or any other region!) you don't have to fill ALL of them with super deadly creatures, you can restrict some to savage biomes.

EDIT: And [EVIL] biomes, too! Breathstealer sounds like an [EVIL] creature.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 04:11:01 pm by HugoLuman »
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: August 08, 2013, 04:17:04 pm »

Yeah, Urborg Panther, Breathstealer and the Spirit of the Night... ;)

Spoiler: These look worse (click to show/hide)
Edit: removed an image.

Bear in mind that when adding danger to swamps (or any other region!) you don't have to fill ALL of them with super deadly creatures, you can restrict some to savage biomes.

EDIT: And [EVIL] biomes, too! Breathstealer sounds like an [EVIL] creature.

Marshes are kind.  Swamps are going to be harder than hell.
That was an unintentional pun.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 04:24:55 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: August 08, 2013, 04:29:35 pm »

Using MtG cards for inspiration? That is just brilliant. I remember growing up with those and how they had the coolest creatures ever.

I don't see file format really making that much of a difference considering we're working with small text files. If this becomes even megabytes large it is humongous by mod standards considering it's all raws.

I've resolved I'll work more on the zerg in the weekends. Turns out making larva make useful creatures is hard. I'll try making them pets next so maybe then they'll breed. I also want to make a fairy/pixie civilization which are size 2-10 and indestructible in combat, but killable with temperature and their wings can be pulled off... just to see how well minuscule arrows from micro-bows work at killing large things, but I don't mind if someone else wants to steal and run off with that idea (or really, either).

Unfortunately from now on weeks will have to be owned by university business. Expect slower updates, with apologies in advance.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: August 08, 2013, 04:44:28 pm »

The time has come to formally end this.

Part 6: In which we bid the town of Mastertea adieu
-----

From the Journal of Gnorm Foul Psyche Witch

7th Limestone, 556

Dug out a section of the fort for a food stockpile. It'll all rot if left outside.

10th Limestone, 556

I've not seen my wife for about a week now; I hope that she's all right.

11th Limestone, 556

The craftsman has finally begun his mysterious construction; thank the gods! I was worried that we would have another madman on our hands.

16th Limestone, 556

The craftsman has finally revealed his creation to be a bag.

It's pretty glorified, but it is also pretty cool. I think I'll put it in my room.

17th Limestone, 556

Today I found my wife, dead, on our bed, drained of all her blood. I'll find whatever monster did this, and I will murder him with my bare hands.

7th Sandstone, 556

Some more migrants have arrived; this quite possibly means more vampires in my fort. I'll keep a close watch on these ones.

17th Sandstone, 556

Today, my late wife was interred in a private tomb in the fort. I shall have the entrance walled off, to prevent any possible defilement.

13th Timber, 556

Our mechanic has become possessed today. I fear for him, considering what happened the last time someone became possessed here.

Supplementary Entry

The mechanic has claimed a mechanic's workshop, and has set about to collect materials. A merchant caravan has arrived, which I could easily predict by the sound of an explosion in the distance. The wounded merchants are leaving bloody trails all over this site.

16th Timber, 556

The forested ones have arrived as well. Perhaps we'll be able to obtain the thread the mechanic requires.

21st Timber, 556

My third daughter has been lost to me, but I believe that I have found the murderer in this fort. The potash maker will pay for his crimes!

1st Moonstone, 556

I have beaten the criminal senseless, but I'm not finished yet. I'll punish him for other crimes that have been committed in the past. I'll make this  beast pay with its life!

4th Moonstone, 556

Yet another daughter of mine has died in this cursed place! I no longer wish to survive out in this land. I now realize that I must purge the planet of this site!

1st Opal, 556

Our mechanic has become stricken with melancholy upon being unable to complete his construction. My family is down to my eldest daughter and I. The fort is too crowded; nothing ever gets done.

7th Obsidian, 556

Fort Mastertea is becoming just like what the original catacombs of Mastertea were. It is brought with anger, blood, and death. I am seriously considering taking my child, and leaving.

17th Obsidian, 556

Damn it! the spider-centaurs may serve to prevent my escape from occurring. Their army, however small it may be, is stronger than anything that we have! I have little hope.

19th Obsidian, 556

I have sent a small group to attempt to stop the centaurs. I doubt that they will succeed, but it may buy me time to execute my plan. I hope to dig into the original catacombs and hide there; the stench of death will keep the centaurs out.

28th Obsidian, 556

I've heard reports of yet another spider-centaur force; I must work more quickly!

8th Granite, 557

The spider-centaur force has been fought off. Now is the time to cut my losses, and leave. I'm taking my daughter and closing the fort. To those halflings who wish to follow me, I will not stop you. I believe that I shall leave this journal here, just in case any halfling decides that he wants to build this town back up to whatever glory it once had.

Mastertea, I bid you adieu.

P.S.

Halfling, I believe that you forgot to update the file size on the main page for the last two versions.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: August 08, 2013, 04:45:53 pm »

ninja'd by Gnorm

Many of those cards look like Megabeasts. If you're going to make them wandering creatures, PLEASE put them in evil and/or savage swamps  :(

I was unable to create as many creatures as I wanted due to college orientation, but I have many unfinished, passive creatures for swamps. Making an entire biome into a Deadly Deathland of Doom, whether [GOOD], [EVIL], [SAVAGE] or normal, kind of undermines what I've been trying to do (dilute the number of megabeasts-disguised-as-normal-animals) and limits the designs of other players for those regions. Why not go by alignment/temperment, and put those creatures in [SAVAGE]/[EVIL] swamps AND marshes? That way it's actually possible to distinguish which regions have which creatures from the world map, as swamps/marshes look identical and have the same name patterns but alignments are distinguished.

Look, it's fun to make monsters, but we also want the game to be playable and somewhat balanced. We've got to start restricting some of our deadlier wandering creatures to [SAVAGE] and/or [EVIL] areas. Some outside is fine and good for story/gameplay, but making EVERYWHERE alike to evil/savage places we start to ask how halflings even exist in the first place. Yes, bear in mind this is a world where HOBBITS have to make sense somewhere.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 04:49:35 pm by HugoLuman »

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: August 08, 2013, 04:59:08 pm »

The time has come to formally end this.

[go read this part in his post]

Halfling, I believe that you forgot to update the file size on the main page for the last two versions.

We got to see megabeasts, halls covered in vomit, spider-centaurs, vampires and a very decent artifact. Good show, Gnorm. Thank you. Now would be a perfect time to present any wishes (balance changes or otherwise) and suggestions if you have some.

I did indeed forget. If nobody minds, I'll just update it with the latest info.

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: August 08, 2013, 05:02:18 pm »

Hi, I've finally decided to download this, but due to my ineptitude regarding computers, DF, and modding in general, I cant seem to get this working. Ill go through the steps to the best of my memory (though it is unlikely be perfect) :

I first copied Vanilla DF into a new folder which I have temporarily dubbed "Mod Fort", so as to not confuse it with vanilla
Then I downloaded :
+ sackhead's http://www.mediafire.com/?n23ps889fojunx5 | Customized Obsidian graphics http://www.mediafire.com/?wj1f8gk7720z7ya
+ bugfixes for sackhead's turn: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7881
+ HugoLuman's turn: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7884
from the front page

I deleted the original raws,
I unzipped these, then replaced the object folder with the object folder from the files, and tried to start did deleted things like language dwarf then ran the df from the mod folder, but the game said the book text instructions were in the wrong place, but i moved them and it then worked.
I tested the arena but found no creatures where on the list, so i quit and examined the files. Turned out I had put the "object" folder inside another object folder, so that was quickly fixed.
After genning a smallest possible world, I tested embarks. they didn't crash, so everything seemed fine. I abandoned, then tried to gen a medium world to play with the formics who hadn't lived in the small world.
And thats where I hit a snag. It would gen the world fine, allow me to examine it, etc, but when I selected to use the world as it was, the game would load/unload, freeze (which is normal for me during world gen), then I would get a "DF is not responding" popup , then the game would close.

I'm not sure what's wrong exactly, but I figured I'd ask any way. It's most likely some silly, stupid error on my part as opposed to some error with the mod though, as I've never modified raws before. Perhaps I deleted something important, or didn't delete something I need to? I apologise for wasting your time, but I honestly seem to have bitten off more than I can chew here. I also apologise in advance if I forgot to post any vital details.

EDIT: forgot to mention I also downloaded this
This file (hopefully) contains all the raws I have created or altered:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7884
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 05:07:52 pm by kero42 »
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: August 08, 2013, 05:03:35 pm »

Fucking Sheoldred

Fucking Obliterator

Though I'm hella tempted to try and implement Phyrexian Obliterator as a megabeast, myself. I'd also love to try and implement Infect (syndrome that gives -% to physical attributes and stacks), but I don't think there's a good way to make a syndrome stack unlimited times without some serious workaround. Though I guess I could just make 10 separate syndromes, each one checking for the previous before applying its effect, and have them each decrease attributes by (synstage x10) percent of maximum, and the last stage just outright kills the creature. Hmm... Sign me up for a second modding turn? I could do with adding a handful more inorganics, I have some issues with material frequency, and I never did do my megabeast.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: August 08, 2013, 05:10:08 pm »

Players being unable to play it is a very serious thing. You're not wasting anyone's time :p
The current way to make it work, because Hugo only uploaded a "delta" containing his changes, is

1. delete your objects/raw folder
2. unzip sackhead's
3. unzip Hugo's and overwrite

...assuming everything works. I haven't tested the newest add-ons yet.

Hm - Hugo, could we have an upload of a complete objects folder like the earlier ones? That way you don't have to mess around with it so much to start playing.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: August 08, 2013, 05:13:31 pm »

Stackheads seems to be a .rar...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: August 08, 2013, 05:20:30 pm »

Well, which are the most recent files that aren't mine? I'm not going to upload my /objects folder as-is, because it contains outdated versions of other people's files.

I'll put everything into an up-to-date bundle, but first I need the right version of the other files. Bear in mind my files include changes to all of kopout's files and adding [SPECIAL] to the alchemy stuff.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: August 08, 2013, 05:26:38 pm »

Sackhead's should be the most recent version of things not yours before your edits... and if it's not, let's roll with it regardless, because else we'll have to figure out which is old and which is new all over again file by file. If there's an old file there, whoever spots it, holler and we'll locate and replace with the newer version.

This is why the original idea was that you do not edit the old files but rather add new ones, as much as possible. But unfortunately sometimes it is required.

I could compile this myself but I would prefer it to be on your DFFD so you can add updates to it.

Also I am going to edit the rules to clearly say that you should compile and upload a complete set of raws since that was the original intention anyway (hence all the talk about first updating everything to newest version, then uploading) - also prevents raws clashing which is a risk if you only have additions and didn't test them as a whole. This is rapidly turning into chaos.
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 261