Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 492751 times)

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #1410 on: August 08, 2013, 05:33:46 pm »

Players being unable to play it is a very serious thing. You're not wasting anyone's time :p
The current way to make it work, because Hugo only uploaded a "delta" containing his changes, is

1. delete your objects/raw folder
2. unzip sackhead's
3. unzip Hugo's and overwrite

...assuming everything works. I haven't tested the newest add-ons yet.

Hm - Hugo, could we have an upload of a complete objects folder like the earlier ones? That way you don't have to mess around with it so much to start playing.

Thanks, it seems to be working now. It looks a bit strange, but that's just my graphic pack. I can always download the ones on the front page later, but for now these will do. I haven't downloaded everything yet, but I think I'll just play around with what I have.

I'm not sure if It's already been discussed, or whether it's just my game, but doesn't it seem weird that the Formics noble titles aren't capitalized like most Civs' are?  Not really major, just something I thought was strange.
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: August 08, 2013, 05:43:56 pm »

Here we go:

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7886

All my complete files plus the most recent version of everything else. Modders, work off this, as it includes all current fixes.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: August 08, 2013, 05:52:19 pm »

Nice. It's on the front page.

>Modders, work off this, as it includes all current fixes.
^this

And with that, we are officially at 425.6 kB (ext4 apparent filesize hrr), or a sixth of the breadth of DF vanilla. At this rate we'll catch up by... turn 24. Which is pretty darn fast in itself. I wonder how much it would be if all the pooled "contributions" like MC's wizards could be extracted from the thread and counted in somehow.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: August 08, 2013, 06:05:32 pm »

This is rapidly turning into chaos.

So in other words, it's Dwarf Fortress.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: August 08, 2013, 06:17:09 pm »

Many of those cards look like Megabeasts. If you're going to make them wandering creatures, PLEASE put them in evil and/or savage swamps  :(

I was unable to create as many creatures as I wanted due to college orientation, but I have many unfinished, passive creatures for swamps. Making an entire biome into a Deadly Deathland of Doom, whether [GOOD], [EVIL], [SAVAGE] or normal, kind of undermines what I've been trying to do (dilute the number of megabeasts-disguised-as-normal-animals) and limits the designs of other players for those regions. Why not go by alignment/temperment, and put those creatures in [SAVAGE]/[EVIL] swamps AND marshes? That way it's actually possible to distinguish which regions have which creatures from the world map, as swamps/marshes look identical and have the same name patterns but alignments are distinguished.

You want to know why I am putting them exclusively in swamps?  I'll show you why.
This is a marsh:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This is a swamp:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
...I don't see how it makes sense to put those kind of creatures in marshes.

Look, it's fun to make monsters, but we also want the game to be playable and somewhat balanced. We've got to start restricting some of our deadlier wandering creatures to [SAVAGE] and/or [EVIL] areas. Some outside is fine and good for story/gameplay, but making EVERYWHERE alike to evil/savage places we start to ask how halflings even exist in the first place. Yes, bear in mind this is a world where HOBBITS have to make sense somewhere.

I've noticed that most of the deadly creatures have been sorted out to places that are considered to be difficult to survive in, such as deserts, badlands, and (at the end of my turn) swamps, and in those areas, civilized races have adapted, by living underground, such as the formics, or getting tougher in body (and hopefully immune system, if I can get a response to who made syndromes, then get permission to add some [SYN_IMMUNE_CLASS:SWAMP_DWELLER] to some of them) like the Lizardfolk (I've been refering to them as Lizardkin by accident).
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: August 08, 2013, 06:22:12 pm »

Now would be a perfect time to present any wishes (balance changes or otherwise) and suggestions if you have some.

There ought to be some sort of armor for the halflings to wear. A simple leather cuirass or basic chain mail should suffice, considering there seems to be a "no heavy armor" rule.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: August 08, 2013, 06:30:47 pm »

Now would be a perfect time to present any wishes (balance changes or otherwise) and suggestions if you have some.

There ought to be some sort of armor for the halflings to wear. A simple leather cuirass or basic chain mail should suffice, considering there seems to be a "no heavy armor" rule.

Indeed they should not be heavily armored. Still, did end up making halfling leather armors already (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.msg4459378#msg4459378), but that addition didn't make it to the latest version. If you want it though, just overwrite the files in the lower part of the post with the spoilered content.

Reference: Top hat and tail cap - corresponds to cap; vest and tail coat - corresponds to leather armor; tall boots - boots with max ubstep; gloves - leather armor gloves

If you want to make the names less silly that's fine, the vest should be a cuirass and the tail coat an armor coat (since it covers the neck, arms, and upper legs).

Leather armor should be inherently better in this mod, but of course it's not been tested... and come to think of it, that would've been pretty hard since we don't actually have leather armor other than those pieces I made for that addition above.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: August 08, 2013, 06:41:59 pm »

@Zanzetkuken:
Giant poisonous bugs, the main current deadly creatures, are potentially found in all rivers and in grasslands and forests. This includes other, non-predatory bugs given annoyance tags, thus leading them to violent conflict with fort members.

Swamps and marshes in real life have often served as the birthplace of civilizations, as they are easily converted to amazing farmland (being often found at river deltas). But turning ALL SWAMPS EVERYWHERE into deadly deathlands just isn't fair to other modders. It reduces diversity and available thematic choices. People are unable to make natural swamps if all swamps.

In real life people avoid such areas because they're logistically difficult and other places have more readily available resources, not because they're full of monsters. Eldricht abominations should be only an additional hazard, not an unavoidable one. People should have the choice between the challenge of getting through the water-logged soil of a swamp, and the challenge of that plus horrible death monsters.

It shouldn't be "ALL swamps are evil," it should be "EVIL swamps are evil."

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: August 08, 2013, 07:39:59 pm »

@Zanzetkuken:
Giant poisonous bugs, the main current deadly creatures, are potentially found in all rivers and in grasslands and forests. This includes other, non-predatory bugs given annoyance tags, thus leading them to violent conflict with fort members.

I agree, those should be nerfed, but without the modder's permission, can't do that easily.

...But turning ALL SWAMPS EVERYWHERE into deadly deathlands just isn't fair to other modders. It reduces diversity and available thematic choices. People are unable to make natural swamps if all swamps.

Considering the track record, how likely do you think natural swamps will be?  In fact, I am going to create a more balanced swamp than what you are thinking of, because the cards I showed off are some of the bigger creatures.

Swamps and marshes in real life have often served as the birthplace of civilizations, as they are easily converted to amazing farmland (being often found at river deltas).
[snip]
In real life people avoid such areas because they're logistically difficult and other places have more readily available resources, not because they're full of monsters. Eldricht abominations should be only an additional hazard, not an unavoidable one. People should have the choice between the challenge of getting through the water-logged soil of a swamp, and the challenge of that plus horrible death monsters.

While that is true, in the current raws, everywhere else is of greater danger level.  There needs to be a greater reason for them to have wanted to leave the swamps, and I am providing it.

It shouldn't be "ALL swamps are evil," it should be "EVIL swamps are evil."

See: counter-points 2 and 3

Hey, Halfling!
Could I modify the start biome and biome support segments of the halfling entity to be grassland/hill oriented, rather than any land?  Thematically, it makes more sense for them to settle primarily in those areas, and players can still embark wherever they want.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: August 08, 2013, 07:52:08 pm »

Okay. I'm not sure how to implement the behavior I'm trying to give the Obliterators.

The intended net effect is "Enemy creature's attack connects with an Obliterator, and this is the trigger that causes GENERIC BAD THING to happen."

I was thinking, let's start with a generic bear, for simplicity's sake. We then add two auxiliary tissue layers that go on the outside of the creature. The outermost of these auxiliary layers is paper-thin, so it should break apart from literally any attack (hopefully allowing the force of the attack to continue through and actually do what it was intended, instead of just being SUPER ARMOR) and it will have healing rate 1, so that it regenerates instantly. The innermost auxiliary layer would be gaseous, and have a syndrome attached that would cause GENERIC BAD THING to happen.

There are problems I can envision, however. First, I don't know if tissue layers regenerate at all while combat is "ongoing". For instance, if I give bones max healing rate, break one bone, and then uselessly grab and release the bear's ear until the end of time, will the bone ever heal? Because if not (like I fear), then this is going to cause bad things to happen. Furthermore, I don't know if gaseous tissues have a different clause for healing than normal tissues (like, maybe the fake-skin repairs itself but the gas doesn't regen until combat is broken). I briefly thought that causing the gas layer to have a second syndrome, one that only affects the Obliterator, and causes it to heal via transformation, but that would have the unintended consequence of healing everything, and rendering it immune to attacks that don't kill it outright.

I also know from experience that [SECRETION] is semi unreliable, and that contaminants can be kind of finicky, not transferring the way I would like, so that workaround is likely unsuitable. Short of forcing every single attack from every single creature to induce a syndrome or interaction that only works on Obliterators and enables them to cause GENERIC BAD THING, I'm not sure what to do about this.
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: August 08, 2013, 07:56:04 pm »

Just put the syndrome on the blood?

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: August 08, 2013, 08:02:57 pm »

Just put the syndrome on the blood?

That has the tendency to proliferate...
'proliferate': put another counter of the same type that is already upon a creature/permanent/player/etc...commonly used on infect counters

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: August 08, 2013, 08:05:26 pm »

It also doesn't work. Not only do I KNOW that blood doesn't regen until combat is over and medical attention is given, but I don't want to risk causing the obliterator to bleed out. I don't think there's a way, other than transform-healing, to cause a creature to both have blood and be immune to bleeding out.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: August 08, 2013, 08:14:35 pm »

Fairies with blow gun darts dipped in a curare like poison might work.  Think of the abos of Papua New Guinea.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: August 08, 2013, 08:22:26 pm »

@Zanzetkuken

Actually, wetlands are currently near the HIGHEST danger level compared to everything else. There are only 2 creatures in the current raws assigned to them specifically: water striders and mallards. Water striders are relatively large, highly aggressive, and highly poisonous. Go to a swamp ingame, they're crawling with them and mallards. Swamps need more diversity, sure, but close to half of all animals there are giant horrific predators already.
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 261