Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 493291 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #1455 on: August 09, 2013, 05:03:59 am »

Also, a preview of what's to come:

Code: [Select]
[BODY:ARM_PLATEMAIL_HUGOL]
[BP:PAULDRON:pauldron:STP][CON_CAT:ARM][EMBEDDED]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:200]
[BP:COWTER:cowter:STP][CON_CAT:EBLOW][EMBEDDED] //aka Elbow plate
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:100]
[BP:GAUNTLET:gauntlet:STP][CON_CAT:FOREARM][EMBEDDED]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:200]

[BODY:LEG_PLATEMAIL_HUGOL]
[BP:CUISSE:cuisse:STP][CON_CAT:THIGH][EMBEDDED]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:500]
[BP:POLEYN:poleyn:STP][CON_CAT:KNEE][EMBEDDED] //aka Knee plate
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:100]
[BP:GREAVE:greave:STP][CON_CAT:SHIN][EMBEDDED]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:400]
[BP:SOLLERET:solleret:STP][CON_CAT:FOOT][EMBEDDED]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:120]
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

The Urist

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in slaughter lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: August 09, 2013, 05:30:45 am »

Are the pack beetles supposed to be cold-blooded killers? I embarked with formics somewhere (i didnt check the biome) with formics.I took 60 mallard ducks and 2 mallard drakes with me (they are pretty cheap).Almost instantly after arriving to my outpost,a group of 5 pack beetles wandered to my little colony. First I thought that they were harmless herbivore wild animals but they managed to kill 4 of my ducks and rip my herbalist's left lower arm off.
Sidenote: My herbalist absolutely detest treelords
''He was 'twitching' because he's got MY AXE EMBEDDED IN HIS NERVOUS SYSTEM!''~Gimli

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: August 09, 2013, 05:50:28 am »

Something's wrong here. Halfling, your teeth material "tears" what is essentially vanilla steel...

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: August 09, 2013, 07:14:56 am »

Are the pack beetles supposed to be cold-blooded killers? I embarked with formics somewhere (i didnt check the biome) with formics.I took 60 mallard ducks and 2 mallard drakes with me (they are pretty cheap).Almost instantly after arriving to my outpost,a group of 5 pack beetles wandered to my little colony. First I thought that they were harmless herbivore wild animals but they managed to kill 4 of my ducks and rip my herbalist's left lower arm off.

They have the "BENIGN" token and are intended to be peaceful herbivores  ??? Did the formics do anything to provoke them? If it were halflings, I'd think the answer would be an unqualified "yes", but unless I erred somewhere, Formics can't throw rocks.
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: August 09, 2013, 07:38:55 am »

They have the "BENIGN" token and are intended to be peaceful herbivores  ??? Did the formics do anything to provoke them? If it were halflings, I'd think the answer would be an unqualified "yes", but unless I erred somewhere, Formics can't throw rocks.

I've had some benign-tagged animals go hostile on me in vanilla fortresses, or be provoked by running into pets. I'd guess it's their wandering path accidentally running into a crowd then acting up. Or possibly an hunter provoking them. I've pretty much long learnt to just kill anything that wanders in too close or seal things up out of the way.

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: August 09, 2013, 09:22:30 am »

Small question. Are golden mamaphints supposed to be able to learn skills? because I my first formic migrant wave came with a "Goldan Mamaphint Strand Extractor". Also, will he actually be able to extract strands? Or is he like those tiger people you can buy in vanilla, who can have medical skills but don't use them?
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: August 09, 2013, 11:03:34 am »

So, turns out you can't make a reaction produce shells  >:(.  To counter this I'm going to have it produce a tool called a coconut shell that is made of shell and is a nesicary reagent in a reaction to produce coconut shell crafts.
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

kero42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: August 09, 2013, 11:32:24 am »

My formics just got a Queen, but she seems to be listed as livestock/pet on the (u)nit screen, so I can't see her preferences or relationships. Is this normal? She has skill as a surturer,  diagnostician, wound dresser, but I can't enter her labours through (v), It just tells me she's ready to be slaughtered, which is weird.

edit: It would appear I can still give her a room though, so it should be fine
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 11:34:34 am by kero42 »
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: August 09, 2013, 11:37:38 am »

Ok, so, coconut shell as a tool works but I now have  a +coconut shell+ . Yes, finly crafted shells. Oh well, maybe they didi a realy good job of making sure it came out usable.
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

kero42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: August 09, 2013, 11:55:31 am »

Hi, I know I've been asking a lot of questions recently, but I have one more. I'm trading with the elves, buying some pumpkins and cloth etc, then I keep getting these "X cancels (drink/move object/ eat/etc), Interrupted by mutilated elf corpse". I look around and then find one outside my forts entrance, near the depot. Its head is gone and its arms are dented. I'm not sure why its dead, or why my Formics are being interrupted on their way from the embark caravan to the  fort proper.

Edit: also, treelord wrestlers are going in and out my fort for no apparent reason, despite my  depot being at the forts entrance, and even though the first corpse "died" and the formics continued walking, it came back to life and is still called "elf mutilated corpse" and is now interrupting again.

EDIT: sorry if I refered to my formics as "dwarves", force of habit,  :-[
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 12:01:38 pm by kero42 »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: August 09, 2013, 11:58:31 am »

What I'm not sure of is why there are dwarves.

kero42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: August 09, 2013, 12:02:31 pm »

What I'm not sure of is why there are dwarves.

Force of habit, sorry, I typed "Dwarves" without thinking.  :-[.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: August 09, 2013, 01:51:39 pm »

Small question. Are golden mamaphints supposed to be able to learn skills? because I my first formic migrant wave came with a "Goldan Mamaphint Strand Extractor". Also, will he actually be able to extract strands? Or is he like those tiger people you can buy in vanilla, who can have medical skills but don't use them?

Uh, first of all congrats on finding a bizarre animal by even this world's standards. Let's hope he's useful... but really, he's not going to be. Exactly like the tigermen. Not that you probably have many strands to extract anyway.

Sackhead -- is it intentional that mamaphints are both CAN_LEARN and trainable? Because you don't need the first for the latter and the first actually gives them civilian professions... and it's rather conspicuously in a sea of whitespace in the middle of the creature so I'm not sure.

Also the name thing. You don't mind spelling corrections, right? They're no disrespect. So it currently reads
goldan mamaphint:goldan mamaphint:goldan mamaphint, so even the plural of those is mamaphint

Goldan should be golden, right? If it refers to the color of the creature. Mamaphint... now it can be called mamaphint all it wants, but did you mean "mamaphant" (mama + elephant) or maybe "mammophant" (mammoth + elephant)? And should the plural be mamaphint or mamaphints?

I'm adding your newest update to the front page btw, forgot earlier.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: August 09, 2013, 01:55:33 pm »

He told me via PM that the "-phint" is intentional, sort of like the "-phont" in "oliphont," but I'm not sure about the Goldan. And, given the spelling mistakes in the description...

Probably best to ask first, though.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: August 09, 2013, 01:57:18 pm »

is it a mammoth+plant?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 261