Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 492679 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Idea: DF from scratch: The succession player-made world
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2013, 03:38:16 am »

This is a nice idea, but most modding changes do require a new world-gen, so the fortresses would be short-lived. Each modding update would require the fortress to be abandoned, and a new, virgin world to be created.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2013, 05:14:15 am »

This is a nice idea, but most modding changes do require a new world-gen, so the fortresses would be short-lived. Each modding update would require the fortress to be abandoned, and a new, virgin world to be created.

Halfling has addressed this, and we feel that would hardly break the concept.
It won't be a "true" succession game, but it will be awesome spiritual succession.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2013, 06:19:18 am »

Halfling has addressed this, and we feel that would hardly break the concept.
It won't be a "true" succession game, but it will be awesome spiritual succession.
Like Sparkgear! ish.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2013, 09:43:48 am »

So, don't know if Halfling is planning to be the first modding slot or not, but I would like to call dibs on the "elves" I have a really awesome idea to do with them
that you can find in my signature (hopefully...if it changed correctly....I'll just link the thread after I put this up)

EDIT: ok got the signature to work, just click "The Elf- A Theory"
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 09:45:32 am by BFEL »
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Yuli Vlasi

• Bay Watcher
  • Eggs is Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2013, 10:27:09 am »

Don't mind me, i'm just sitting here.

Watching.
Take command. Lead your men. Hide in booze stockpile. Weep, and everyone weeps with you.
Maybe we could export Yuli: "Succession fortress too stable? Too boring? Just get our Yuli VlasiTM!"

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2013, 11:13:06 am »

Yeah, you can have the first modding turn, you called in first. sackhead came second and gets second place. :)

I'm currently still working on basics of the minimal world to get it to gen... they're going to be a little different from vanilla DF. If all goes right, everything including the language symbols will be shiny, new and very basic. The raws folder now contains body templates and plans and the basics of a language and is currently at a whopping 67.3 kB, compared to vanilla's 2.7 MB.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2013, 11:42:31 am »

i would actually like to play Very Basic DF. Because i like Very Basic things.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2013, 11:43:52 am »

i would actually like to play Very Basic DF. Because i like Very Basic things.

How about taking the first "play" turn while BFEL gets to adding stuff? You'll get to play with like five things existing in the world. At least it should run fast.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2013, 11:46:53 am »

Sure. But I'm a bit short on time because I'll be going on holiday next week, and then i'll be on holiday until July 18-ish.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2013, 03:23:51 pm »

PTW
Count me in!

sculleywr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2013, 03:54:17 pm »

following for the awesome. I may download them and play them on my own, but I have two succession turns already going this week, so gonna have to pass for now.
I had one get happy again... After producing a bed made from their own husband's body.
I once  had a fort called paddledbottom in the plains of spanking founded by the painful punishment
And so, in a thread about cointainers with usele

DVNO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2013, 07:55:36 pm »

Talvieno's ever useful RandomCreature/Randomlanguage generator and Sphalerite's Random plant script may help you in your endeavor.

Are RAWS based off internet memes accepted? I've made plenty of those. Don't know if you'll accept just plain anything or want to stick to a theme or not.

In fact, I have a poor, poor, abused DF copy somewhere where I mashed together the Rise of the mushroom Kingdom mod, the pokemon mod, The Lolmod, Valdiku's demented my little pony mod, Sergal mod, the final fantasy mod, the Deadspace mod and the Elder Scrolls mod to practice stripping out dupes.

It produces a rainbow colored splotch of internet culture vomit. It's entirely in ASCII, no tile sets, because conflicts. 

The error log is clean-ish but warning; the EXE cries openly when you ask it to gen a medium - large world.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 07:57:48 pm by DVNO »
Al mondo mal non e senza rimedio

Reach me via Bitmessage ~ BM-2DC7sWixk2iSKThdX9thhyrxWBeWRXUEv9

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2013, 11:54:53 pm »

Thanks for the tips. I'm making the language files from scratch too, though, so none of those can be used with this anymore at least if they're not customizable.

The starting point be about done soon, works in fortress mode now. There's now 97.3 kB of raw material. Features the halfling, the hound, the mallard, the bank vole, flax, the pumpkin, the apple tree, the templates used to make those and that's it, all built "from scratch". Also, other than hardcoded ones, eight items are available (cudgel, shortbow, small arrows, small buckler, dress shirt, short pants, fiddle, smoking pipe). I'll probably need to tweak it just a bit to make it more reasonable and break fewer eyes since I originally figured I'd use different tiles for everything. And also make a few more things like interactions for halflings to throw rocks and clean themselves.

Spoiler: random halfling (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: raws sample (click to show/hide)

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2013, 04:11:58 am »

i love "Pumpkins for their use in art"

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2013, 04:29:46 am »

This proves that Dwarf Fortress isn't a game - it's just a series of simulations for the content it's been shipped with.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 261