Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 493141 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #1650 on: August 25, 2013, 04:46:17 pm »

Also evil Shades from hell. Treelords are necromantic. And we've got hobbit vampires. We don't have anything like werebeasts, though.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: August 25, 2013, 04:54:00 pm »

Behold! the spoils of mine absolute suffering and my toils!

Selecting the modded creature from Adventurer Mode:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Inventory with modded items:

Fighting feral hounds whilst in the air:

Fighting halflings in a city:

Archery in the air:

Interesting things that I noticed in previous tests:
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 08:54:09 pm by Gnorm »
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: August 25, 2013, 05:00:03 pm »

Also evil Shades from hell. Treelords are necromantic. And we've got hobbit vampires. We don't have anything like werebeasts, though.

Slight correction, both halflings and formics can be vampires [that are quite different from vanilla]. Formic vampires are supposed to be more rare, while hobbit vampires are more common than vanilla.

I haven't adventured in the latest versions, but some versions ago this used to actually be completely not so as concerns vampire rarity by species, and overall a slight annoyance, since formics have a high reproduction coupled with a short lifespan to keep their population from exploding. Vampirism, of course, makes them live forever. So you end up with huge amounts of formic vampires. Underground lairs full of them, workers, soldiers, queens all. Once I had a row of >10 formic vampire lairs extending to the map edge near a city, every one of them packed with formic vampires. I looted two nearby formic fortresses for their arrow supply in an effort to extinguish the vampire ant menace and still ran out of arrows trying to kill them all.

(There's also vampirism-immune paladins, although I don't think anyone used that feature in a report yet. Highly recommended for trying something like this unless you want to catch it too.)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: August 25, 2013, 05:02:27 pm »

Encountered any Cephalopods yet? If not, try the mountains!

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: August 25, 2013, 05:05:06 pm »

Behold! the spoils of mine absolute suffering and my toils!

Selecting the modded creature from Adventurer Mode:

Inventory with modded items:

Fighting feral hounds whilst in the air:

Fighting halflings in a city:

Archery in the air:

Interesting things that I noticed in previous tests:

Congrats! These are apparently angelic beings in thongs? A flying adventurer is a nice thing to have for variety.

I'm pretty sure that last thing's not normal by the way. Would actually be interesting to know what caused it. Something that reanimates without LOS?
Edit - from screenshot above that it seems to be partially in an evil region and that's probably it

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: August 25, 2013, 05:11:14 pm »

Congrats! These are apparently angelic beings in thongs? A flying adventurer is a nice thing to have for variety.
Thank you. They indeed angelic, and evil. So far, they don't interact with fortresses in Fortress Mode, but they're fully playable in Adventurer Mode. Creatures will attack them on sight, but it's still more interesting than: "I'm flattered, but I have no need of you." They also have [LOCAL_BANDITRY].

Encountered any Cephalopods yet? If not, try the mountains!
Found one type in the mountains; I don't remember what it was called, but I believe it was represented by a "P." It was also one of the only things that I could hardly scratch, and it stole my boot.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: August 25, 2013, 05:17:01 pm »

Ah, that'll be the Panserblekk. Their armor is made of a material identical to teeth, since shell is also calcium. However, arena tests show that Halfling made teeth perhaps way too hard. Teeth go right through vanilla adamantine.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: August 25, 2013, 05:34:20 pm »

Teeth in which form?

Teeth are materially roughly 2x as strong and resistant to deformation as bone. Bone materially is mostly like vanilla bone.

If you're referring to animal attacks, there's more things to consider.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: August 25, 2013, 06:00:06 pm »

Here are the raws for the Daemonic Cherubim, and all other related raws:

Creature:

Body:

Body Detail Plan:

Organic Materials:

Tissue Template:

Entity:

Items:
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 12:07:31 am by Gnorm »

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: August 25, 2013, 06:21:58 pm »

Thanks Gnorm. I like the bit about the Grand Cathedral, but above it you seem to have an unset bit about ethics (   "[ETHIC:TORTURE_FOR_INFORMATION]").

I'll expand a bit more on why teeth, leather, attacks and tissues are different from the start, 'cause I may be away for a bit again and since that can of worms was opened. Thinking about it some more, if I were to start this thread over again, I would maybe make the values more like vanilla.

My original intention was that this is not just about adding creatures and materials, but instead making completely new stuff with new values, new balances, new layout etc. A lot of (attempts at) "doing it right" was intended. Hence my creatures' layout for example attempts to be so straightforward and small compared to vanilla (the aim was to be easily legible), with stuff as c_variations instead, and why my body parts work like
"torso (TORSO), head - CON:TORSO, brain - CON:HEAD" rather than
"upper body (UB), head - CON:UB, brain - CON:HD" (which is what everybody else ended up using out of familiarity/reference).
The intended balance method was "test it against existing things" more so than "compare to vanilla values" so as to create a new balance organically, and I even mixed up balance a bit intentionally to begin with. Also, it's good to have a default creature attack speed of e.g. 300 rather than 1 - if you must deduce it by 10%, how do you do it in the latter case?

While I originally assumed this too would be part of the sexiness of the mod, I think actually more people aren't really turned on by this meta-modding stuff than are. Not a criticism, we all like what we like. However, that being so, then this stuff creates more confusion than good for the majority of people who would like to just make something a lot like vanilla in foundation such as material values and body part names, but different on the higher levels. Since the goal was a community universe, I've created a bit of an obstacle to my own goals here.

Now that it's in there though, what's done is done.

Also,
teeth may very well be broken by this universe's standards regardless. I didn't test them much and bite attacks do seem to be deadly. FWIW if this is the case feel free to balance them a bit.

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: August 25, 2013, 06:48:42 pm »

Oh my, those look so awesome, I might have to download the newest version (when it's ready) just to play with them  :). Glad to see Armok is still relevant in this unfamiliar and dangerous game. I look forward to killing enemies from above.

[DESCRIPTION:A servant of the Blood God; its kind is send to collect live offerings for their master.

I quite like their description text, they sound so neat.
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: August 25, 2013, 06:51:55 pm »

Thanks Gnorm. I like the bit about the Grand Cathedral, but above it you seem to have an unset bit about ethics (   "[ETHIC:TORTURE_FOR_INFORMATION]").
Thanks for pointing that out, it should be ACCEPTABLE.

Oh my, those look so awesome, I might have to download the newest version (when it's ready) just to play with them  :). Glad to see Armok is still relevant in this unfamiliar and dangerous game. I look forward to killing enemies from above.

[DESCRIPTION:A servant of the Blood God; its kind is send to collect live offerings for their master.

I quite like their description text, they sound so neat.

Thank you; I'm flattered.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: August 25, 2013, 06:57:59 pm »

Awww.. Noe I want to make a civ...

Also, is my tea going to be a thing?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 07:03:40 pm by Aseaheru »
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: August 25, 2013, 07:37:55 pm »

why my body parts work like
"upper body (UB), head - CON:UB, brain - CON:HD" (which is what everybody else ended up using out of familiarity/reference).

For what it's worth, I reverted to UB and HD and such for two reasons: insects don't really have "torsos" per se, so upper body was more fitting, and I didn't use copy-paste ever in my first turn. Typing out "torso", "head", "left lower tarsus", etc., would have been time-consuming and offered many more opportunities for spelling-error-caused bugs, which I had enough of already.

The meta-modding of switching to c_variations all over the place was a good idea, in any case :)
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: August 25, 2013, 09:37:52 pm »

why my body parts work like

Hey, I used yours for my creations!
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 261