Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 493323 times)

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #2775 on: October 29, 2013, 05:30:38 pm »

When I download the file and try to extract it its empty. What's up with that?
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2776 on: October 29, 2013, 06:03:53 pm »

Also, the files c_variation_glass_angel_STL.txt, creature_disease_insects_STL.txt and creature_syntest_STL.txt are missing an [OBJECT:foo] tag (in the latter two it seems to be commented out), while in interaction_good_happy_weather_STL.txt the tag is misspelled (underscore instead of colon).  I think that means that DF will ignore anything in those files.  Is that intentional?

In the commented ones, aye that's intended; same for the Glass Angel one, which was a species of eldritch wing-ed hippies I never got around to creating. And if the good weather is fixed by fixing that error (underscores, colons, what's the difference? Apparently it's enough to make DF stomp off in disgust  ::) ) then good regions are about to get a lot more !!fun!!

And I do mean that in the flamey sense of the word. Fair warning  :D
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2777 on: October 29, 2013, 09:50:35 pm »

I've already noticed the duplicate plant files, and I have, along with other bugs that I have found, fixed it. The bug-fixes will be thorough and complete, so you all needn't fear.

By the by, when creating a syndrome that causes a body transformation, what does one do if the creature that the target is to transform into has no castes?
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2778 on: October 29, 2013, 09:51:00 pm »

Seriously though, I downloaded it numerous times and  each time I go to 'extract all files' it comes up and the folders are all their but their is nothing in them.Their is stuff in them when I don't extract but that stuff is unusable.
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: October 29, 2013, 09:55:59 pm »

In the commented ones, aye that's intended; same for the Glass Angel one, which was a species of eldritch wing-ed hippies I never got around to creating.
If that is the case, should we just delete them?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2780 on: October 29, 2013, 10:05:45 pm »

By the by, when creating a syndrome that causes a body transformation, what does one do if the creature that the target is to transform into has no castes?

Looking through a few other mods, and the vanilla examples, it looks like the line should be

[CE:CREATURE: creature name :DEFAULT]

For caste-less creatures.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2781 on: October 29, 2013, 11:09:30 pm »

To STL: I noticed that, despite the comments made in the raws and - if my memory serves me - past discussion on the forums, the regents will still arrive at the beginning of the fortress. I've created a fixed version of the raws, though I wish to post it here, as it is a reasonably large change to a raw that is not mine.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Do you approve?

vyznev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2782 on: October 30, 2013, 01:10:36 am »

Seriously though, I downloaded it numerous times and  each time I go to 'extract all files' it comes up and the folders are all their but their is nothing in them.Their is stuff in them when I don't extract but that stuff is unusable.

Is that with Gnorm's .zip file from DFFS, or the GitHub version?  In either case, all I can say is that it seems to work for me.

I assume you know this, but just in case, remember that since Putnam's turn, the .zip files contain both a "raw" and a "data" folder, and need to be extracted into the main DF dir (preferably after deleting the original DF raw folder).  The version now on GitHub actually contains a full (and partially modded) copy of the DF data folder, so you can just delete both original DF folders before extracting it.  The GitHub version also contains a bunch of other files that aren't really needed for just running the mod, but should do no harm either.

(BTW, it occurs to me that, now that we've started to mod the data folder, we really ought to try rewriting all that stuff "from scratch" too, at least as far as we can.  I might make that a project when my turn comes up, if nobody gets around to it sooner.)
Climbing is a strength-based skill. Elephants are very strong. Why are you surprised?

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2783 on: October 31, 2013, 01:04:33 am »

Halfling, I noticed that the Troll speech c-variations were never actually made. Would you like me to set them up during my bugfixes?

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

vyznev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2785 on: October 31, 2013, 01:28:18 pm »

I guess they just fell through the cracks?  Were they supposed to be part of your bugfix turn?

Anyway, I just tentatively added them to the master branch on GitHub, assuming nobody objects.  AFAICT, the major changes are the addition of two metal ores -- copper and zirecon (sic) -- and the splitting of the lizardfolk blood poisoning syndrome into two forms: a mild contact syndrome (someone needs to test if it really is mild) and a severe one if the blood gets ingested.
Climbing is a strength-based skill. Elephants are very strong. Why are you surprised?

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2786 on: October 31, 2013, 07:15:28 pm »

I guess they just fell through the cracks?  Were they supposed to be part of your bugfix turn?

I was a contribution of mine after the bugfix turn of HugoLuman.  I'm pretty certain it was lost in transition.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2787 on: November 01, 2013, 12:08:52 am »

Halfling, I noticed that the Troll speech c-variations were never actually made. Would you like me to set them up during my bugfixes?

Please. That would be great.

They weren't intended as c_variations this time, but those can work too. Rather troll speech works by nested interactions. HugoL did actually include the interactions to make them taunt and banter, but did not put them in the creature. That would probably be because I myself posted raws without them.

It seems creature vocalizations were not added to the creatures too, even though the c_vars are there.

Since I had deleted my working copy, I had to write some new tags.

This should go into feral hounds (creature_HugoL):
Code: [Select]
   [APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:DOG_BARK_HLG]
   [APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:GROWL_HLG]
   [APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:WHIMPERS_FLEEING_HLG]

This should go into tits (creature_halfling):
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:BIRD_CHIRP_HLG]
This should go into trolls:
[CAN_DO_INTERACTION:TROLL_BANTER_HLG]
[CDI:ADV_NAME:speak your mind]
[CDI:FREE_ACTION]
[CDI:BP_REQUIRED:BY_CATEGORY:MOUTH]
[CDI:TARGET:A:SELF_ONLY]
[CDI:MAX_TARGET_NUMBER:A:1]
[CDI:WAIT_PERIOD:8400]
[CDI:VERBAL_SPEECH:speech_troll_hlg.txt]

Thanks!

vyznev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2788 on: November 01, 2013, 07:23:27 am »

Added to GitHub master branch as requested.  The bird chirps seem to be already there, so nothing done about those.

Also, do we want more vocalizations?  Quacks for mallards, maybe?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2789 on: November 01, 2013, 04:37:41 pm »

Maybe not go overboard on those. They will slow the game down.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 261