Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 485748 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #2850 on: November 04, 2013, 09:07:13 pm »

But why was it green in the first place if ice doesn't have a raw?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2851 on: November 04, 2013, 09:16:24 pm »

That's because it isn't ordinary ice, there's a custom hell ice that was made some time ago by laularukyrumo.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2852 on: November 04, 2013, 10:11:02 pm »

Ah. But why? If there is no [DEEP_SURFACE] material in the raws, the game just uses actual ice.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2853 on: November 04, 2013, 10:21:09 pm »

If I remember right, it's because you could dig into the normal ice, but this "hell ice" is [UNDIGGABLE]. At least that's the impression I'm getting from reading through some of the earlier pages.

I'm sure someone who actually knows will clear up why we have special ice before too long.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2854 on: November 04, 2013, 11:38:54 pm »

Why is hell no longer diggable for water?

Because "ice" melts into 833 water, which is a contaminant, and not drinkable.

That's how it went. It seems he got the color wrong. Also, he said he hadn't much experience with colors and we can freely change the colors, in response to his black backgrounds for minerals annoying people, IIRC. :P

vyznev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2855 on: November 05, 2013, 11:46:58 am »

OK, I went and fixed the ice color on GitHub, and the black backgrounds too.  Also, chaosine should now be nice and red, like it was presumably intended to be.

I also added a script to render the color and tiles of various stones as an HTML table.  Here's a dump of the current colors of all our inorganic materials after the changes above.

Oh, and Giant squid and Gifted adherents are capitalized again.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 04:10:53 pm by vyznev »
Climbing is a strength-based skill. Elephants are very strong. Why are you surprised?

vyznev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2856 on: November 05, 2013, 06:33:16 pm »

I just ran a spell-checker (ispell) on our entire set of raws.  Here's the result.

Besides simple typo-fixes, a few more extensive changes I ended up making include:
  • The insect body parts now have fancier plurals ("tarsi", "opisthosomata", "prosomata", "proboscides", "antennae"). Also corrected the singular of "elytra" to "elytron".
  • Standardized the British spelling "colour" to the American "color".  Not that I think there's anything intrinsically better about American spelling, but I felt consistency would be good.  Can revert this if other disagree.
  • Removed the (AFAIK) unused third parameter from some child/baby name tags.  If that parameter actually is used for something, let me know and I'll restore it.
  • The clockworker entity spouse titles now consistently include the suffix "consort".
  • Lizardfolk shamans no longer have the hypercorrect plural "shamen". (Not changed: the plural of "mactopus" is still "mactopi", instead of "mactopuses" or "mactopodes".)
  • Changed the adjective name of flax from "flaxen" to "linen", so we can have "linen cloth shirts". (Edit: actually, this needs to be a prefix on the thread material. Fixed.)
As usual, if you feel I've stepped on your toes or otherwise made a poor choice, tell me and I'll revert the offending change.

Also, in case anyone else wants to do this later, I included a simple Perl script that can be used as an ispell deformatter to avoid wasting time spell-checking DF tokens and comments.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 06:38:08 pm by vyznev »
Climbing is a strength-based skill. Elephants are very strong. Why are you surprised?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2857 on: November 05, 2013, 06:41:38 pm »

Why would you remove something if it wasn't a misspelling and didn't cause bugs?

Like the normal names, the third parameter is the adjective form. Without it, body parts, spatters, and crafts wind up called "nothing blood" or "nothing leather", etc.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2858 on: November 05, 2013, 08:12:07 pm »

So, I got it downloaded and I'm just starting to work on it*. Can I have my 2 weeks start now or have I lost a week?

* the problem was my computer,I still don't know what's wrong but I downloaded it on the library computer and moved it over with a flash drive
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

vyznev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2859 on: November 05, 2013, 09:15:31 pm »

Why would you remove something if it wasn't a misspelling and didn't cause bugs?

Like the normal names, the third parameter is the adjective form. Without it, body parts, spatters, and crafts wind up called "nothing blood" or "nothing leather", etc.

Because it looked to me like it was broken the way it was.  The wiki says those tags only take two parameters, and I don't see what it could use the third one for anyway: DF doesn't differentiate materials or tissues according to whether they came from an adult creature or a child.  Dwarf blood is dwarf blood, even if it was bled by a dwarven baby.

Anyway, I was kind of concerned since I had noticed while testing the linen that "nothing leather" is available as a material in arena mode.  So I went and rolled back the chances and tested it again.  In conclusion, I can report that the presence or absence of a third parameter to those baby/child name tags does not seem to have any effect on the availability of "nothing leather"; that's clearly a bug, but these changes did not cause it.

Besides, every single baby/child name tag in the vanilla raws has only two parameters.  AFAIK, vanilla DF isn't filled with "nothing leather".

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2860 on: November 05, 2013, 09:25:58 pm »

In which case, some creature is probably missing the third parameter in either the NAME or the CASTE_NAME. Even casteless creatures require a CASTE_NAME on the creature level for some reason...

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2861 on: November 05, 2013, 09:26:07 pm »

Yeah, baby names don't have the third thing. "nothing leather" happens when a creature-level NAME token doesn't have a third parameter.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2862 on: November 05, 2013, 09:32:09 pm »

Hey, (if I do so) would it be alright for me to utilize the original turn as a basis for the full revamp of my dragonic civilization mod that I am thinking about doing?  This is in the hypothetical state that I actually go through with it, and I'll probably be pulling out everything non-essential, but still, would I be able to?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

vyznev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2863 on: November 05, 2013, 10:34:09 pm »

I finally found the source of the "nothing leather": Putnam's giants and elements of balance needed a [GO_TO_START] tag before their names.  I still have no idea exactly how that tag works, but all vanilla creatures created using [COPY_TAGS_FROM] seem to use it, so I tried it and it fixed the problem.

While I was at it, I also fixed another problem where creeping grass growths would drop a nameless itemcorpse.  Apparently, DF gets confused if it's told to make a plant out of animal tissue. :D

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2864 on: November 05, 2013, 11:24:22 pm »

Apparently, DF gets confused if it's told to make a plant out of animal tissue. :D

That's odd.
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 261