Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 492840 times)

sculleywr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Idea: DF from scratch: The succession player-made world
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2013, 10:18:54 am »

Could someone who knows what they are doing rip out everything except the dorfs and upload it so that we can see an idea of this?
I had one get happy again... After producing a bed made from their own husband's body.
I once  had a fort called paddledbottom in the plains of spanking founded by the painful punishment
And so, in a thread about cointainers with usele

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2013, 10:21:36 am »

What do you mean someone who knows what they are doing? :D

Here's mine: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7776

It currently makes DF cry bitter tears over not being able to generate its precious random creatures at all, and includes vanilla items in raws because the game crashes otherwise for reasons unknown to me, even if nobody uses those items.

EDIT: which is most likely due to them being needed for preferences and unremovable reactions. Derp. To start with a completely blank slate, you must make a new product for every reaction.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2013, 01:01:19 pm »

I saw "a world of only hounds, ducks, and halflings" and immediately thought, "what the hell did I leave open in Chrome?"

There needs to be horrific predators flying around. My modding skills have atrophied from "abysmal" to "nonexistent", but that should only make whatever I produce more fun. How would we submit raws and such? Just post them here for inclusion, or what?

EDIT: having read the thread, it seems that you have some sort of "turn system". If that's how submissions should be made, sign me up for a turn :)

Also, how has DF reacted to you stripping out the candy?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 01:02:59 pm by StLeibowitz »
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2013, 01:30:29 pm »

Candy is currently made of the only metal in existence, meteoric iron. Defining a [DEEP_SPECIAL] material will make it that.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This has really been a superior learning experience. For example, did you know that DF generates a world properly but just plain crashes if you move your cursor over water if there are no things that ocean floors are specified to be made out of? I didn't. There's also so many wonderful things you can easily do and apply to every creature now, like a creature variation:cleans self daily. I thought I could mod, turns out that not really, but doing things without falling back on the standard templates being defined will definitely improve anyone's skills.

How I was planning this would go is - sign up for a modding turn, you get to do whatever you want with the raws for your turn (as long as you preserve previous content and according to the rules, of course). Including implementing community suggestions. I should have a playable version of this ready tonight, the above version was full of omissions of things I just forgot about such as the ability to be a carpenter. I'll also try to make a "shutupDF"-file that makes it stop crying about not being able to make random creatures at worldgen. Then it would be up to the next player to add whatever they like to this very minimal world, including dwarves and terrible beasts.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2013, 01:43:29 pm »

Can you not define zero titans/FBs/night trolls/bogeys/vamps/werewolves/demons in worldgen parameters and just not have DF whining?

Also please sign me up for a mod turn and a play turn, cause it doesn't look like we have a lot of people playing.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

sculleywr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2013, 01:44:08 pm »

What do you mean someone who knows what they are doing? :D

Someone who doesn't cause the world to gen with every embark site having an open clown car. I was just going to run Randcreature on it and see what happens.
I had one get happy again... After producing a bed made from their own husband's body.
I once  had a fort called paddledbottom in the plains of spanking founded by the painful punishment
And so, in a thread about cointainers with usele

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2013, 01:51:31 pm »

I want to sign up for a 'mod' turn.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2013, 01:52:59 pm »

Can you not define zero titans/FBs/night trolls/bogeys/vamps/werewolves/demons in worldgen parameters and just not have DF whining?

No, unfortunately. It will always give you the business about not having the default bodies and templates it's married to. You can't even turn off forgotten beasts without removing caverns. My plan is to give it a bunch of stuff pretending to be that but that is actually empty or nonsensical and well, hope that it doesn't make DF crash if a forgotten beast arrives.

Currently it's actually somehow using hounds and even vermin to fill the void, sending them to wander the caverns, giving them cool names and noting that they were the only ones of their kind, although only a few per world. I wonder what that's about. Regardless, they die of old age too soon to be encountered in fort mode.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2013, 01:54:02 pm »

I want to sign up for a 'mod' turn.

Also please sign me up for a mod turn and a play turn, cause it doesn't look like we have a lot of people playing.

Happy to have you. I'll fill the turns in order and edit the first post once this initial save is working.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2013, 02:43:06 pm »

Happy to have you. I'll fill the turns in order and edit the first post once this initial save is working.

Expect many varieties of dragons to show up in worlds after my turn.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2013, 02:59:18 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I love this game :D

Also downloading and starting my additions. (I think I'm supposed to do that now, since you posted a download)

EDIT: WHAT THE MONKEY CRAPPING BALLSACKS IS UP WITH THESE FILES???? I LOOKED AT ONE AND IT WAS ALL HORIZONTAL INSTEAD OF VERTICAL OMG WTF HALFLING?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 03:28:31 pm by BFEL »
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2013, 03:22:34 pm »

Don't do that just yet. That save is bugged to the frozen hell and back, it was just to demonstrate. It's nigh unplayable and generates pages of error messages every time.

However, as luck would have it, I just managed to fix the most glaring errors and suppress random creature generation error messages so it doesn't generate random creatures but only gives one error message (and not one for every tissue, body part and material it could not place, which was a little annoying).

Uploading momentarily. Finishing touches.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2013, 03:46:21 pm »

Okay!

Have at it, BFEL! The version I'm happy with is now up at: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7776

So this marks the starting of your modding turn, my bugfixing week if any are noted and a "play" turn with these raws. Any volunteers for doing a minimalistic two years, or shall I?

Updating thread next.

squiddwarf16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2013, 03:51:19 pm »

Here is a question. Is there a way to use this mod without messing up my normal dwarf fortress? How would I do that?

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2013, 03:53:50 pm »

Download a second copy of DF.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 261