Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 491437 times)

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #435 on: July 06, 2013, 08:34:47 pm »

I came up with that name several years ago when I was reading a bunch of Star Wars books.

About hobbit holes: I assumed that Halflings was a reference to Lord of the Rings, so it seemed natural to use the word hobbit-hole.

Also I appear to have stumbled upon a bug.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This seems to happen whenever I save and exit and then load it up again.

EDIT: Nevermind, the wood-chopper became a vampire as I was playing.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 08:40:49 pm by JacenHanLovesLegos »
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: July 06, 2013, 09:10:24 pm »

Okay, bugtesting - good! Honeywine not being put into a barrel properly after being made - bad. Very, very bad.

So many dead halflings...

EDIT: Confusion - very bad.

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:BREW_HONEYWINE_STL]
[NAME:brew honeywine]
[BUILDING:STILL:CUSTOM_M]
[REAGENT:A:30:LIQUID_MISC:NONE:CREATURE_MAT:APHIDIDA_STL:HONEYDEW][UNROTTEN]
[REAGENT:A_HOLDER:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE][CONTAINS:A][PRESERVE_REAGENT][DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT]
[REAGENT:B_HOLDER:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE][EMPTY][FOOD_STORAGE_CONTAINER][PRESERVE_REAGENT][DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT]
[PRODUCT:100:5:DRINK:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:DRINK_MAT][PRODUCT_TO_CONTAINER:B_HOLDER][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[SKILL:BREWING]

What did I do wrong? shouldn't [PRODUCT_TO_CONTAINER:B_HOLDER] make the honeywine go into the barrel properly?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 09:13:47 pm by StLeibowitz »
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: July 06, 2013, 09:24:54 pm »

Another bug: Vampires in bat form can transform back into halfling form while in mid-air. I'm pretty sure this is a problem with DF, but it sure is hilarious to watch.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.

Slothman400

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: July 06, 2013, 10:31:36 pm »

This is an awesome thread. I seriously need to learn how to work with the RAWs.

EDIT:I just thought about something that makes this idea so much cooler. Forgotten Beasts based on these creatures are going to be crazy.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 11:04:30 pm by Slothman400 »
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: July 06, 2013, 10:34:00 pm »

This is an awesome thread. I seriously need to learn how to work with the RAWs.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Modding

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: July 07, 2013, 12:15:04 am »

So the vampires have drained the blood of 5 of the six migrants that came in the summer. I think this is a pretty major bug and someone should look into it.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: July 07, 2013, 12:28:08 am »

So the vampires have drained the blood of 5 of the six migrants that came in the summer. I think this is a pretty major bug and someone should look into it.

A quick peek into the raws and my own experience in the arena shows that the large number of vampires is actually probably more an unexpected feature than a bug. Vamps can spread their vampirism once (twice? it's a bit ambiguous) a year, and  all halflings have an interaction to pray for vampirism. There's a low chance for their prayer to be granted, so perhaps you've just gotten particularly unlucky.
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: July 07, 2013, 12:31:49 am »

It's probably because there's no code in place to prevent a halfling from praying again once s/he's done it once, making it a 100% chance given infinite time.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: July 07, 2013, 12:41:37 am »

Still, having all seven original halflings as vampires by the second season is a bit much, yes? Also, vampires can try to slash ghosts (which has no effect) and diplomats (which has a normal effect).

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: July 07, 2013, 12:59:53 am »

That is DEFINITELY a bug and the significance is critical. I'm a little embarrassed it slipped by like that. I'll resolve immediately.

There's nothing wrong with interactions that spread themselves. That's how my epidemics stuff works, and it does. But the parameters must be wrong here.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: July 07, 2013, 01:10:07 am »

Holy crap this thread moves fast. Can someone fill me in? From what I gather:

-Due to how halfling initially set things up to reduce lag, there are no eyes/noses/mouths, just "face"
-Vampires are prolific and everyone wants to be one, asking the gods for it yearly
-Almost all animals are insects, arachnids, or dragons, except for ducks and dogs.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: July 07, 2013, 01:15:40 am »

Holy crap this thread moves fast. Can someone fill me in? From what I gather:

-Due to how halfling initially set things up to reduce lag, there are no eyes/noses/mouths, just "face"
-Vampires are prolific and everyone wants to be one, asking the gods for it yearly
-Almost all animals are insects, arachnids, or dragons, except for ducks and dogs.

1. No. That would be stupid and would be extremely visible in game. They have all the normal face parts, they are just connected to the face which is its own thing in the front of the head. They're right below the face in the raws, so, what? What they don't have, though, is eyelids and that is to save space and resources.
2. No. Creatures with the HAS_VAMPIRES ask for it ONCE in their lifetime, and asking it sets a syndrome flag that prevents repeating it ever. However, there may be some mistake in how this is executed - but I'll find it.
3. Yes  :D

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: July 07, 2013, 01:23:05 am »

It just seems a bit odd that everyone's fondest dream is to become a vampire, so much that everyone prays for it at least once. Obviously, we must add some severe downsides to the whole vampire thing. I see we've got bat transformation, any skin-boiling metal syndromes?

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: July 07, 2013, 01:30:23 am »

It just seems a bit odd that everyone's fondest dream is to become a vampire, so much that everyone prays for it at least once. Obviously, we must add some severe downsides to the whole vampire thing. I see we've got bat transformation, any skin-boiling metal syndromes?

>It just seems a bit odd that everyone's fondest dream is to become a vampire, so much that everyone prays for it at least once.

That's just fluff text. It could be cut just off as easily, since halflings autoperform that interaction. They must perform an interaction on themselves so that a fixed percentage of them are vampires regardless of world gen. Adventurers don't do it automatically no matter what you do, and this text shows for them and is semi-informative there.

>Obviously, we must add some severe downsides to the whole vampire thing.

Your vampires randomly clawing everyone else, including migrants, traders, diplomats and so on, to death?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: July 07, 2013, 01:33:52 am »

No, downsides for the vampires themselves. There are ways to ensure vampires and other transformees, namely by having several semi-megabeast "Ur" ones generate who are set to be more prolific but die out relatively quickly.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 261