Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 485841 times)

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #450 on: July 07, 2013, 01:36:23 am »

No, downsides for the vampires themselves. There are ways to ensure vampires and other transformees, namely by having several semi-megabeast "Ur" ones generate who are set to be more prolific but die out relatively quickly.

How does the latter work?

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: July 07, 2013, 01:38:58 am »

Also, JacenHan, could you quickly post what your interaction_vampire and c_variation_vampire raws say? I'm not seeing any error yet in writing, nor unintended vampires in arena mode (although it has only run for 2 in-game months now), so maybe there's some typo or cross-platform error...?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: July 07, 2013, 01:41:07 am »

You have an "Ur Vampire" semi-megabeast designed to infect many people very quickly, but give the a relatively short lifespan. As semi-megabeasts, multiple will spawn, ensuring some infectees before the Ur Vamps all die.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: July 07, 2013, 01:43:46 am »

Has that worked for you? My original conception of diseases was spreading by plague cult working similarly but even making both such beast and "plague dogs" that were omnipresent and had an infectious attack, it seemed like almost nobody got infected because it just doesn't happen very often with special attacks. But maybe I did something wrong.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: July 07, 2013, 01:53:04 am »

It's worked pretty well for my in a total conversion I've been working on, with werewolves. They wind up pretty rare, but they never fail to wind up, and all I did was give them an infectious bite. For the Ur Vampires, to ensure a large vampire population, you could make their every attack spread the curse. 20-30 year lifespan should probably be enough to ensure infections.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: July 07, 2013, 02:03:10 am »

K. Well, the interactions don't take up space from others' semimegabeasts and give you a steady 0.1% of all halflings as vampires, not up to luck, so that's going to be it though. Assuming there's no problem...

On that note - my 60 halflings and hounds in a room with 4 vampires have produced zero additional vampires in what is almost half a year. The vampires have already begun slashing stuff, and it seems to work as intended. As it should since I did test them before too... making me all the more baffled. They show no signs of making more vampires in under a season.

Can I get that save where they're breeding madly to inspect? Or even better, some clue as to how it looks in the raws on Windows?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: July 07, 2013, 02:07:32 am »

I don't know if arena's the best place to test it. Even berserk creatures absolutely will not attack their teammates in Arena, while combat between opposing team's members doesn't stop until everyone on a different side within sight is dead.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: July 07, 2013, 02:45:42 am »

After the slightly above 400k phases intended, vampires have killed many and begun converting creatures to vampires in a controlled way. The newly made vampires show no sign of vampiresplosion. This seems to suggest that the interactions work as intended. I also had a friend with glassware look at the raws and there should be no platform problem there.

Next up: let's see if fortress mode somehow messes it up.

Found one bug straight up: vampires are visible right away. That's going to go.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: July 07, 2013, 03:06:02 am »

Okay - found and replicated the issue.

Apparently everything works fine until you save and reload in fort mode, and at that point EVERYONE TURNS INTO A VAMPIRE. There's no problem with the interactions themselves and I have absolutely no explanation. And this does not happen in the disease mod either.

Seriously, what the "#¤%"#%?

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: July 07, 2013, 03:40:11 am »

And again, I have absolutely no idea why, but adding [SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:ALL] (ALL is something we've all used) seems to have fixed the problem. Either that or some of the other fiddling I did with the raws to make them resemble disease mod more.

The exact changes were
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
And that's it. Weird.

New version with apparent fix uploaded. Please redownload and overwrite... and sorry, Jacen.

There seems to be some confusion so as to how this all works, so short explanation
- The "pray for vampirism" is available to all with HAS_VAMPIRES and can be targeted on self daily, but target cannot have VAMPIRISM_SET class syndrome. So once it's done once, cannot target self -> anyone again.
- Using it gives with 100% certainty a VAMPIRISM_SET syndrome that's permanent (only pray once per lifetime) and with 10% probability a chance to go to the next step via another similar interaction. Cannot proceed to next step if you have VAMPIRISM_DETERMINED, a redundant safeguard.
- The next step always sets VAMPIRISM_DETERMINED permanently, and with 1% chance makes you able to spread vampirism to yourself only as if you were a vampire already. This then makes you a vampire once done. So all in all you have a 0.1% chance in lifetime to become a vampire if you are a creature with HAS_VAMPIRES.

- Vampires, then, can spread it, bypassing all other interactions, 2x/year after a DF year (28x12x1200 phases) and start slashing things with a delay too. These effects don't start immediately so as to not have cascades.

What seemed to be the problem was that not having defined whom the syndrome affects somehow made it affect everyone upon DF reload? Still not sure, but my test saves and reloads no longer turn people who aren't supposed to be vampires into vampires.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: July 07, 2013, 09:26:53 am »

That whole thing made me feel much better about the state of the treelords :P

I mean really VAMPIRESPLOSION? I love that this happened. I feel much less stupid now.
Not to say Halfling is stupid, just nice to know the inexplicable bugs happen to other people

In entirely unrelated news, I have just made my first cheesecake.
It is chocolate, and menaces with spikes of chocolate chips. Also finely-minced blueberry topping.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 09:28:41 am by BFEL »
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: July 07, 2013, 10:01:28 am »

It's fine. Unfortunately, I won't be able to finish or start another turn, as I'll be without access to my computer for two weeks very soon. Hopefully someone else will be able to do it.

Also, this might be one of the most hilarious bugs I've encountered.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

squiddwarf16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: July 07, 2013, 10:20:53 am »

I can start a play turn later today as long as you guys are fine with videos instead of in character stories.   

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: July 07, 2013, 10:35:10 am »

Is today the day I must upload my work? I think it's been a week, but it's summer and my time sense is on vacation.
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: July 07, 2013, 11:00:50 am »

I mean really VAMPIRESPLOSION? I love that this happened. I feel much less stupid now.
Not to say Halfling is stupid, just nice to know the inexplicable bugs happen to other people
Also, this might be one of the most hilarious bugs I've encountered.

That's why playtesting is like the second most common word I've said this thread. :D

Also, I found a vein of jaded slade in fortress mode. Saved my halflings from dying of thirst, too. Nice. Interesting how it had an aquifer deep in the earth.

Is today the day I must upload my work? I think it's been a week, but it's summer and my time sense is on vacation.

Yes, I think today's the day. I'm not assuming you don't really know what to do, but here's the checklist for the benefit of all:
. Download and merge with newest raws from previous turns if you didn't yet
- Make sure it still works without errorlog (other than the PAW and WORD SELECTOR stuff)
- Upload - providing a (preferably longer) description of what you added, these summaries are probably going to be most important way for people to follow what actually happened during turns later because it's been 10 pages of discussion per turn. I'll then link it in the first post.
- We'll auction the play turn
- You now have 1 week bugfixing time. I'm actually going to change this to say "until end of play turn" in the rules because that makes more sense. You are allowed to add more stuff as needed or if you really want to, but it must work, and don't remake your old things like bodies anymore unless a fix needs it because laula will be working based on them.
- After that, feel free to make further suggestions anyway!

I can start a play turn later today as long as you guys are fine with videos instead of in character stories.   
I think we'll be fine with that. Would you mind giving BFEL raws a whirl? :)
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 261