Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 492661 times)

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #555 on: July 09, 2013, 03:50:22 pm »

Added. I hope Laula's inorganics fix things; avoiding desert embarks might be good in the interim.
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: July 09, 2013, 04:07:28 pm »

Well, at the very least, if you find that where you've settled, everything in the world is made of every single material in the universe at once and keeps switching between being a gemstone, a log and a slab of rock faster than your eye can follow, consider relocating.

Never enough screenshots so here's some of the paladin process. Basically you can make a team that gains permanent immunity to vampirism and, later, learning magic and so on. Great for extra challenge and to purge vampires without ever risking becoming one. You also stop aging, mostly just for your own protection in case a supernatural interaction is checking whether you're mortal, but if you want to start a crusade that lasts a thousand years... now you have the chance.

Spoiler: Paladins (click to show/hide)

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: July 09, 2013, 04:38:05 pm »

You also stop aging, mostly just for your own protection in case a supernatural interaction is checking whether you're mortal, but if you want to start a crusade that lasts a thousand years... now you have the chance.
You see, that's why Wizards checked for mortality at first, for stuff like this.

Also, I think that once I put in some ways for people to actually contract magic, then I'll post it in for addition. Right now there are 4 types of wizards that you can find.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: July 09, 2013, 06:26:44 pm »

Ladies and Gentlemen, I believe I found the reason for spider-centaurs being unable to use weapons: I did not flag them as [EQUIPS] in the creature file. Heh...

I've made the edit and am uploading Update 3 of the raws. Hopefully this will finally squash this bug.

EDIT: It's up.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 06:31:52 pm by StLeibowitz »
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: July 09, 2013, 09:44:52 pm »

Created something to perhaps populate the HFS. Thoughts?

Code: [Select]
[CREATURE:SHADOW_STL]
[NAME:shadow:shadows:shadow]
[CASTE_NAME:shadow:shadows:shadow]
[CREATURE_TILE:'S'][COLOR:0:0:1]
[DESCRIPTION:The implacable shades of the past that the new gods thought had been erased. They lurk in the deep shadows of the frozen cavern at the root of the world, waiting for their chance to break free and relegate the new creatures of the world to shadows as well.]
[CREATURE_CLASS:SHADOW]
[INTELLIGENT]
[NO_EAT][NOBREATHE][NO_SLEEP][NO_DRINK][NOSTUN][NOBONES] Haha
[NOEMOTION][NOEXERT][NOFEAR][NOPAIN] Hahahhaha
[NOSKIN][NOT_LIVING][NOSTUCKINS][NO_GENDER] AHAHAHAHHAHA
[NOTHOUGHT][NO_THOUGHT_CENTER_FOR_MOVEMENT] MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
[OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] We replaced them. They want us only to die.
[PARALYZEIMMUNE]
[CANOPENDOORS]
[EXTRAVISION][MAGMA_VISION]
[WEBIMMUNE]
[EQUIPS]
[BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_CHASM][UNDERGROUND_DEPTH:5]
[CLUSTER_NUMBER:5:7][POPULATION_NUMBER:10000:20000]
[MATERIAL_FORCE_MULTIPLIER:INORGANIC:CELESTIUM_METAL_STL:10:1]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:POISON:INSECT_POISON_TEMPLATE_STL]
[STATE_NAME:ALL_SOLID:frozen shadow taint]
[STATE_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:frozen shadow taint]
[STATE_NAME:LIQUID:shadow taint]
[STATE_ADJ:LIQUID:shadow taint]
[STATE_NAME:GAS:boiling shadow taint]
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling shadow taint]
[PREFIX:NONE]
[ENTERS_BLOOD]
[SYNDROME]
[SYN_NAME:shadow taint]
[SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:ALL]
[SYN_INJECTED]
[CE_PAIN:SEV:1000:PROB:100:LOCALIZED:START:0:END:1500]
[CE_BODY_TRANSFORMATION:PROB:100:START:20]
[CE:CREATURE:SHADOW_STL:SHADE]
[CE_ADD_TAG:NOT_LIVING:START:20]
[CE_ADD_TAG:OPPOSED_TO_LIFE:START:20]
[CASTE:DWARF_SHADOW]
[CASTE_NAME:dwarven shadow:dwarven shadows:dwarven shadow]
[BODY:HUMANOID_OUTLINE_STL]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:SHADOW_STL]
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:PUNCH_HLG]
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:KICK_HLG]
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:ROUNDHOUSE_KICK_HLG]
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:SHADOW_CLAW_INFECT_STL]
[BODY_SIZE:60000]
[BUILDINGDESTROYER:2]
[CASTE:HUMAN_SHADOW]
[CASTE_NAME:human shadow:human shadows:human shadow]
[BODY_SIZE:70000]
[LOCKPICKER]
[CASTE:GOBLIN_SHADOW]
[CASTE_NAME:goblin shadow:goblin shadows:goblin shadow]
[BUILDINGDESTROYER:1]
[CASTE:KOBOLD_SHADOW]
[CASTE_NAME:kobold shadow:kobold shadows:kobold shadow]
[BODY_SIZE:20000]
[LOCKPICKER]
[MISCHIEVOUS]
[CASTE:SHADE]
[CASTE_NAME:shade:shades:shade]
[BUILDINGDESTROYER:2]
[NO_EAT][NOBREATHE][NO_SLEEP][NO_DRINK][NOSTUN][NOBONES]
[NOEMOTION][NOEXERT][NOFEAR][NOPAIN]
[NOSKIN][NOT_LIVING][NOSTUCKINS][NO_GENDER]
[NOTHOUGHT][NO_THOUGHT_CENTER_FOR_MOVEMENT]

Battle-tested in the arena. The syndrome is especially fun; I think these would make worthy successors to the demons of yore.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: July 09, 2013, 10:17:21 pm »

Awesome! I love the implication that they're the remains of the vanilla RAWs :D
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: July 10, 2013, 12:15:41 am »

Oh balls.

I still haven't gotten around to the testing I meant to do, because Hugo and I disagree on whether or not AT_PEACE_WITH_WILDLIFE and UNDERGROUND_DEPTH:5:5 actually does work. You do actually need two parameters there or else it won't work, I just remembered.... the first param is minimum depth, the second is maximum.

I'm kind of both giddy and sad at the same time, though, that you called them "shadows". When I mentioned Shadows and Tartarus, it was a Persona reference. I -suppose- your shadows are close enough, but I'm just not sure if the reference was there, given that the more likely idea was that "remnants of the old RAWs was the intention."
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: July 10, 2013, 12:40:02 am »

Yeah, no reference was intended, sadly. I think the naming of the Formics was the major reference for my turn :) Is "at peace with wildlife" really necessary for this version of DF, though? We have no demons to be at peace with wandering hell, since the game can't generate any random creatures.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #563 on: July 10, 2013, 01:11:54 am »

Holy crap I just saw this thread and I am in awe of the awesomeness because wow.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

A Spoony Bard

• Bay Watcher
  • [MANNERISM:lute]
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: July 10, 2013, 01:44:44 am »

A new update, this one doesn't have as many images, but I think it has more text than the previous ones (it at least felt like more typing). Behold as I know nothing about how ant nobles work!

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: July 10, 2013, 03:57:33 am »

Y'know, that's a good point. What [AT_PEACE_WITH_WILDLIFE] will do is keep the hell-creatures from fighting with themselves, which is nice, I guess, if we end up with several races down there that don't like each other. But the demons, since they don't exist anymore (until someone adds them back in if we ever figure out how to do that without resorting to vanilla trix), won't massacre our guys. So we just have to put them in hell, which requires me to test out if [UNDERGROUND_DEPTH:5:5] does, in fact, work.

I have a save where I gave Keas [UNDERGROUND_DEPTH:0:5] so they'll appear on the surface, in the caves, in magma pipes, and (hopefully) in hell. I just need to breach the candy spires and we'll know eventually if it worked.
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: July 10, 2013, 04:25:24 am »

You might have a bit of a problem digging down there, because currently, since BFEL's turn, adamantine spires are made of undiggable raw jaded slade (because BFEL is before me in alphabet and that is the first material in his raws). Hell is still ice and will remain so until otherwise defined.

While it may be kind of funny to have the spires change over time, it's kind of annoying if hell is supposed to be accessible. I think now would be about the time to make one decided hell-sealing material (additional deep specials will likely be random so as to which an embark contains).

Toady's special material for hell surface is called Slade. We could call our deep special stuff hard rock, heavy rock, styx, or if it's supposed to be a superior metal, death metal. Probably not something obscure and overtly identifiable like demetori smeltable into finntroll even though we'd all like to insert references to our favorite stuff, because everybody will eventually be digging this. :P

Alternatively just make up a smart non-reference-to-a-reference name for it. Ps. those shadows are cool.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: July 10, 2013, 04:54:58 am »

I was not aware that the Jaded Slade was now the hell-sealing material. Lol!

no, what I did was gen a vanilla world with Kea set to spawn at all underground depths.

It didn't work. Q_Q

I'm gonna have to ask around to see what was done to create custom demons, because I don't know if the Shadows will actually spawn in Hell as intended.

edit: Specifically, I dug all the way down to hell, had a hastily drafted squad go explore and reveal every tile down there, and then just sat around for 10 minutes, dfhack slayrace-ing everything that spawned on the surface, in the hopes I could get Kea to show up in hell.

When that didn't work, I cracked the caverns, and continued casting scrolls of genocide. Eventually I gave up and decided that it wasn't working. :(

I will, however, be for-sure defining a pseudo-ice material and giving it DEEP_SURFACE. I might do the DEEP_SPECIAL too... It would be funny to use my supermetal for it, as it's a pain in the royal ass to smelt. I probably won't, unless we really can't figure out how to spawn guys in hell, as the clown car is supposed to be the deterrent.

We could even just make a semi-generic stone to replace the jaded slade in the spires until we decide on what we're actually going to use.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 04:58:35 am by laularukyrumo »

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: July 10, 2013, 04:57:40 am »

Try a world with no randomly generated demons and only those kea, 'cause maybe they were just out-competed and killed by dozens of different demon varieties.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: July 10, 2013, 05:05:11 am »

edit: Specifically, I dug all the way down to hell, had a hastily drafted squad go explore and reveal every tile down there, and then just sat around for 10 minutes, dfhack slayrace-ing everything that spawned on the surface, in the hopes I could get Kea to show up in hell.

When that didn't work, I cracked the caverns, and continued casting scrolls of genocide. Eventually I gave up and decided that it wasn't working. :(

I will, however, be for-sure defining a pseudo-ice material and giving it DEEP_SURFACE. I might do the DEEP_SPECIAL too... It would be funny to use my supermetal for it, as it's a pain in the royal ass to smelt. I probably won't, unless we really can't figure out how to spawn guys in hell, as the clown car is supposed to be the deterrent.

We could even just make a semi-generic stone to replace the jaded slade in the spires until we decide on what we're actually going to use.

Were your kea present in all biomes with 100% frequency? They won't show up ever if they're just not there after all.

Also,
 - I'm not sure if specifically defining hell as ice makes it undiggable. Needs to be tested if you do. Hugo said he couldn't make a diggable hell material, don't know why - but as it is it's permanently diggable ice no matter what we add, apparently, so defining it as ice might actually cause loss of function
 - For a placeholder DEEP_SPECIAL material, could just make a copy of the generic "rock" and set it to DEEP_SPECIAL for now. "Rock! Praise the miners!" (would still be funnier with "Classic rock! Praise the miners!")
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 261