Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 490147 times)

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2013, 07:38:06 pm »

I wanted to do some modding, and then maybe a succession turn much later after some madness has had time to really express itself.
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2013, 07:38:52 pm »

Ok, after looking through the new raws, yes you fixed the issue.

Also I MIGHT be able to use these body plans on the elves (definitely not the treelords though, gonna make them from scratch)
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2013, 07:52:42 pm »

Ok, after looking through the new raws, yes you fixed the issue.

Also I MIGHT be able to use these body plans on the elves (definitely not the treelords though, gonna make them from scratch)

Great about the raws. I always forget windows uses a different line format.

Not to blow my own horn but I think at least    [APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:CLEANS_SELF_DAILY_HLG] is pretty reusable for any playable civilization and pet creature, so everything doesn't get coated in ten kinds of grime. Unless you like that for some reason. Currently works on every creature regardless of body and magically removes some dirt 1x/day.

I wanted to do some modding, and then maybe a succession turn much later after some madness has had time to really express itself.

Sweet. Since you asked for it before laularykumo, I'll put you at 3rd turn.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2013, 08:41:42 pm »

Minor update... I was wondering what made halflings unhappy, and it turns out it's pretty embarrassing to not have shoes even if you don't even know what they are. Completely forgot. So I went ahead and defined sandals now, it's in the newest version (re-download from same DFFD page if that's bothering you).

Really, really should playtest this stuff longer and not just be like okay, the mechanics work, the world gens and embarking works, this'll be fine. :D But in a week it'll be perfect.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2013, 10:03:03 pm »

Minor update... I was wondering what made halflings unhappy, and it turns out it's pretty embarrassing to not have shoes even if you don't even know what they are. Completely forgot. So I went ahead and defined sandals now, it's in the newest version (re-download from same DFFD page if that's bothering you).

Really, really should playtest this stuff longer and not just be like okay, the mechanics work, the world gens and embarking works, this'll be fine. :D But in a week it'll be perfect.

O.o

IN A WEEK I'LL HAVE REDONE EVERYTHING 47 TIMES

Indeed, I do this.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 23, 2013, 10:07:12 pm »

LOL. Sorry. You don't have to redo anything though - just overwrite my files and keep yours. That's how it should go for every update assuming people don't start writing into each others' files. And it's not like something major is going to change like a body template of mine now. Even if you defined sandals they won't clash since mine are called something like OPEN_SANDALS_HLG and you probably didn't call them that.

You can wait until the end of the week and only get my newest version to go with your raws then, since it doesn't really matter other than that the "whole package" has the fixes, but I figured I should update that fast since it might annoy people who are playing.

Poldon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 23, 2013, 10:26:09 pm »

PTW
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 11:18:57 pm by Poldon »

sculleywr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 24, 2013, 12:12:09 am »

Well, I finally got them started, and, as is my wont, I built the Depot first, though I am not sure when the Depot will be useful. Gonna play it till it runs out, but not as the two years. I'm only here to heckle and play test. I may take an actual turn playing later when more !fun! is added.

edit: I will note that I started out with meteoric items after a 250 year embark

Edit 2: I finally got a record keeper and a broker with appraisal skills assigned. Current fortress wealth after 1 year, 221500000 *  :o

Is that weird?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 01:44:00 am by sculleywr »
I had one get happy again... After producing a bed made from their own husband's body.
I once  had a fort called paddledbottom in the plains of spanking founded by the painful punishment
And so, in a thread about cointainers with usele

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 24, 2013, 04:04:11 am »

Yeah, uh, I did make organics more valuable, but still, that shouldn't be :D
I decided to appoint a broker too, probably should have earlier. Turns out mallard meat is worth so much negative money that it causes the universe to twist and wrap around itself and makes you incredibly rich.

Turns out that's because my material templates didn't include default material values. Wiki said it defaults to 1 so never having built a whole universe and its materials' materials, I was like "well okay, why am I defining this for everything if it's going to assume anyway".

Fixed in the newest update (http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7776), for all materials defined by me or my templates. This patch you can apply to your save too, by overwriting its raws. Takes effect immediately.

sculleywr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 24, 2013, 04:56:35 am »

Yeah, uh, I did make organics more valuable, but still, that shouldn't be :D
I decided to appoint a broker too, probably should have earlier. Turns out mallard meat is worth so much negative money that it causes the universe to twist and wrap around itself and makes you incredibly rich.

Turns out that's because my material templates didn't include default material values. Wiki said it defaults to 1 so never having built a whole universe and its materials' materials, I was like "well okay, why am I defining this for everything if it's going to assume anyway".

Fixed in the newest update (http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7776), for all materials defined by me or my templates. This patch you can apply to your save too, by overwriting its raws. Takes effect immediately.

I actually was very scared what would happen should some dangerous civs be added. I mean, imagine what it would be like. Yeah, migration waves get bigger with wealth, but so do invasions. Imagine what 90 angry orcs could do to our halflings!

On a tangent, though, is it possible to have a multi-racial fort, like dwarves, halflings, and other creatures we create all working side by side?
I had one get happy again... After producing a bed made from their own husband's body.
I once  had a fort called paddledbottom in the plains of spanking founded by the painful punishment
And so, in a thread about cointainers with usele

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 24, 2013, 12:59:20 pm »

I actually was very scared what would happen should some dangerous civs be added. I mean, imagine what it would be like. Yeah, migration waves get bigger with wealth, but so do invasions. Imagine what 90 angry orcs could do to our halflings!

On a tangent, though, is it possible to have a multi-racial fort, like dwarves, halflings, and other creatures we create all working side by side?

The orcs would have a nice cup of tea with our upscale halflings, while discussing the best positioning for a monocle.

And as for the multi-racial thing, [CASTE]s man, [CASTE]s.
That's kinda what I'm doing with the elves, instead of being a race of whiny hippies its a race of sentient trees creating thousands of whiny hippy zombies from the remains of creatures that decomposed in the forests, and controlling this army with a parasite that replaces the natural position of the heart. So yeah.

Indeed, I do this.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 24, 2013, 01:41:46 pm »

Castes are a wonderful thing. That is a wonderful use of them and a great start.

Maybe we'll have a world of insane necro-elves, dwarves that add random steam-powered cybernetic body parts to themselves including prehensile mechanical beards, orcs programmed to talk like pirates and collect and wear hats by the dozens, and that's the vanilla races... or who even knows where this'll go.

You can sure create an "alliance" race just copying creatures into its castes, but they'll interbreed which might bother you or be just as planned.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 24, 2013, 01:48:26 pm »

You can sure create an "alliance" race just copying creatures into its castes, but they'll interbreed which might bother you or be just as planned.

Of course, castes don't pay attention to genetics, so you can wind up having a human and an elf marrying, and have a kobold child.

Oh, I'm going to start work on my additions now, and splice them in when my turn arrives.  I mean, why wait if we are each (apparently) going to code everything new for our additions?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 24, 2013, 01:53:27 pm »

I just came to the realization that this thread, in addition to creating a Glorious (tm) world, is going to bring forth hordes and hordes of Science. You just said that the Wiki says material values default to 1, but clearly that is not the case. I look forward to seeing what other kinds of discovery we make as we delve into this.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 24, 2013, 02:10:26 pm »

Oh, I'm going to start work on my additions now, and splice them in when my turn arrives.  I mean, why wait if we are each (apparently) going to code everything new for our additions?

Well, the main reason to wait is that you can use the previous players' materials, interactions, items and templates, so it gets easier and easier to add stuff (it's supposed to be a collaborative effort to build stuff from scratch, technically, not that every player does it all over every time). This is a little useful because it's surprisingly painful to make EVERYTHING even for a few races, as I've learned.

However, if you are going to want to control everything and build it all from scratch, say make your own dragon bodies, layers, equipment, attacks, materials, and metals, then there's no reason to wait at all. When the turn comes you'll probably want/need to fine-tune it to work and be sort of balanced with other races existing at the time, and maybe use their items too. The race balance is likely going to be sort of different from norm, for example my races have thicker tissues... at least had at some point... but also several hundred times higher velocity modifiers on their attacks so their internal balance is supposed to be similar, but I don't know how they work vs. vanilla. Likewise entities will have different ethics you need to relate or not relate to. If you have environment_spec minerals you may want to make them more widespread by adding them to existing stones. And so on.

Or you could start preparing stuff like interactions and bodies now, and simply migrate them to already defined materials when the time comes... something in between.

Damn that idea of mechanical dwarves had me excited by the way. You could have different castes with different augments. They could have actual axe blades hidden in their/instead of beards. They could release steam in combat. But you guys are more imaginative than me so it'll probably eventually be even better.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 261