Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 493263 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #720 on: July 16, 2013, 06:08:59 am »

Ok first off, someone has to make the blood walls be what hell is made of, because FUCKING BLOOD WALLS. That is undeniably awesome.

also
NEWSUPDATE: A TV station has released the names of the pilots of the plane that crashed in Seattle: Sum Ting Rong, We To Lo, Ho Lee Fuk, Bang Ding Ao.
Needless to say, the station is in a bit of trouble.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

emeralis00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: July 16, 2013, 06:11:08 am »

Ok first off, someone has to make the blood walls be what hell is made of, because FUCKING BLOOD WALLS. That is undeniably awesome.
Well, there is already an actual Ice thing for hell now, can Hell me made of multiple things?

also
NEWSUPDATE: A TV station has released the names of the pilots of the plane that crashed in Seattle: Sum Ting Rong, We To Lo, Ho Lee Fuk, Bang Ding Ao.
Needless to say, the station is in a bit of trouble.
Ahaha, yeah.  Heard it on the radio one/two days ago (not sure because third shift is messing up my sense of timing), it was highly amusing.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 07:10:42 am by emeralis00 »

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: July 16, 2013, 07:20:20 am »

PTW
This is amazing.
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: July 16, 2013, 08:08:56 am »

Oh...it was my fault.

I should never be granted godlike powers in real life.
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: July 16, 2013, 08:18:49 am »

I'm thinking it happened as you updated your raws to mine. You added my sand directly from the raws I posted to fix deserts into your inorganics file, and I also added it to the minimal world raws in my inorganics file so deserts aren't a problem there. Then when you overwrote your version of the minimal world raws before update, we ended up with a double.

Typical god committee procedural error, in this case leading to mountains of frozen blood and such. The universe kept complaining and we got around to fixing it in a somewhat timely fashion.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: July 16, 2013, 08:39:41 am »

PTW
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: July 16, 2013, 10:29:20 am »

While making embarks to test out the rocks i'm working on, I noticed that my test fortress was "Glacieridiots"
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: July 16, 2013, 02:52:51 pm »

Ahah! I KNEW it was raw dupes!

I also cracked open the .txt~ file, and it turns out that it was an exact copy of the matching .txt file, except that apparently it had a borked material definition or something, was using bad syntax for templates. Deleted it, since, we don't need it and it causes both confusion and may lead to more stupidity in the future.

Fixed the fine sand, too... Same download link, but everything SHOULD be good to go now. Until we find something else hilariously wrong and/or we find out that I packaged the files wrong somehow, because I've got copies of them in like, 3 different places for SUPER REDUNDANCY.

Man. I fulfilled my obligatory Super Wacky Bug requirement, except it wasn't even my fault. I almost hope something silly goes wrong, because so far, the worst I've done is forget to put _LKR on a bunch of names, and that didn't even break the game.

EDIT: I can't believe I haven't mentioned this before. I love the idea that, instead of Armok, these particular worlds are being created by a committee of recent graduates from the God College, and they just keep royally fucking things up.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 03:06:16 pm by laularukyrumo »
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: July 16, 2013, 04:02:45 pm »

Okay. I'll link it on the front page as "testing", announce we've reached 352 kB, and change StL to "waiting for small bugfix" for now. Most of the new varieties of stone and ore seem to be working and placing fine. Some issues I had when embarking a few times:

1. It's a little confusing that the archive is named Scratch 3.1 but the folder inside it is Scratch 3.0. Not a bug per se but gives an odd impression :P

2. I embarked on some landlocked hills and below me on z-level 96 was a layer of blue ooze. I then embarked on an ocean beach and the ocean floor was actually made of rock while the rest of the embark was blue ooze. Then I embarked in a forest and the forest floor was blue ooze. It is everywhere except where it should be.

3. Hell is still inaccessible due to adamantine pipes being made of raw jaded slade, so you'll never see it. This is a bit of an issue if there's supposed to be awesome new content there.

4. Hell ice looks extremely weird and not at all like ice:

5. The new caverns look really cool. Very nice:

6. Meteoric iron is now rare, which is as it should be (it is found only in "rock"). By extension minerals are very rare in some embarks as only yours and StL's are present. This is not really a bug, but for example this latest embark only had usable ore in 10 layers of 100. Another one, a mountain embark, had it on 8 z-levels of 146. Might need to turn up frequencies before more ores are added:

7. Halflings now have access to iridium anvils at embark. Whatever. Let's leave it as is since their gear is still wood. Otherwise there are no funny materials available for either playable civ. Random cap:

Overall, good start.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: July 16, 2013, 04:08:21 pm »

Okay! Sackhead, you're up for modding! :)

Let us know if you're ready to start/when you do.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: July 16, 2013, 04:28:31 pm »

Lol..... Fuckin' blue ooze. I'm not sure what's up with that. I just embarked and ran into some blue ooze myself. I'm hoping it's not more raw duplication, as... well. That could be a likely culprit. Is the ooze wet? Cause if it's blue, it should have an aquifer.

Yeah, a lot of my materials are going to look ugly for now... I'm not good with assigning tiles/colors. Anybody want to change those, PLEASE. Feel free to. I will update my files accordingly.

Also. Completely unrelated to anything we're doing, as this is a problem with DF.exe itself. You know those single raised tiles with the slopes to the south and east, and no slopes north or west? Toady mentioned that he'd fixed it in the next update so that those wouldn't generate anymore, and I'm glad. Because I just embarked on a location that had one of those in the center of the map, and it tried to put my wagon there. It couldn't, so it didn't give me a wagon at all, dumped all my crap on that one tile, and squeezed all my halflings and animals on it.

EDIT: Fuck. Just cracked open inorganic_stone_soil_laularu.txt and blue ooze has [SOIL] instead of [SOIL_OCEAN]. I'm gonna update my files. Whoops!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 04:36:00 pm by laularukyrumo »
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: July 16, 2013, 04:35:04 pm »

No, it's not always wet. The problem is simply you have set blue ooze as [SOIL] and not [SOIL_OCEAN]. To fix the slade pipes issue you could add [DEEP_SPECIAL] to meteoric iron (the metal, not the ore, the latter would make things worse) for now.

I'm not sure where your hell ice is located but its color should probably be 3:0:1 (light cyan). Edit: found it- yeah, it looks like it should, your colors are the same as vanilla's but vanilla water behaves differently. You are specifying that the floor should be the same color as water (deep blue), the walls should be white with a white background, and any buildings should be dark cyan. Just overwrite all the colors with display color: 3:0:1 and it should look fine.

It's better if you fix these and reupload as they come up, as most people who play it won't read the entire thread :P

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: July 16, 2013, 04:41:00 pm »

But I don't know how to make pretty tiles! :(

Gonna fix ice at least... everything else is fine how it is for now. I might update the other colors later, when I have better experience with what combines with what to make what. The issue I have is that there's no good logical way to tell which pixels get the foreground color and which ones get the background color.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: July 16, 2013, 04:46:36 pm »

>everything else is fine how it is for now

Well, fixing the ice won't really do much good if the spires leading down to it are still slade, and the omnipresent blue ooze is a more visible issue than either. I'd rather change those...

As for which pixel gets which, look here - http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Tilesets
(white is foreground color)

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: July 16, 2013, 04:48:55 pm »

I'm about to upload another one actually. I changed Chaosine from metamorphic to DEEP_SPECIAL just to push slade out of that spot. Once we decide what should actually go there, we can change Chaosine back.

I also did fix the omnipresent blue ooze already. By "everything else" I meant to say "all the other colors," he he he.

I'll study that in my off hours and work on squashing any other bugs that crop up.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 261