Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 493228 times)

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #735 on: July 16, 2013, 04:54:09 pm »

Nice. Hell ice still will look a little different from regular ice, since being stone, it'll get those tiles by default. Real ice OTOH should have 219 (█) as the wall tile and 178 (▓) as the floor tile. The problem is I don't think you can set the floor tile. The wall tile can be set by [TILE:219].

A ridiculously roundabout way of doing it would be making a light cyan grass called "ice" that only grows in hell and the tile of which is ▓. Then you would have "dense ice" floors... if it can grow without water down there.

I suppose then your fort might also start getting ice floors after breaching hell. Don't really know if it would work.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: July 16, 2013, 05:08:19 pm »

Hmm, the idea of spreading around a non-magic sounds good, I'll have to add that in when I get time.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: July 16, 2013, 05:13:36 pm »

Here is hell ice with display color 3:0:1 and tile 219:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And here's the fake ice plant, covering the world randomly in dense ice:

Spoiler: Raws (click to show/hide)

Now, a science award to whoever can put that in hell. Just setting it to subterranean chasm at 5:5 did not work.

I guess it could also be used to simulate frost on the ground (but no deeper) if added to tundra biomes, if desired.

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: July 16, 2013, 05:52:07 pm »

Plants won't grow in hell because there's no soil?

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: July 16, 2013, 05:54:58 pm »

Could you add soil to it?
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: July 16, 2013, 05:55:37 pm »

No.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: July 16, 2013, 06:02:56 pm »

Soil can only form soil layers. The "can grow plants without irrigation" and "forms soil-type layers" behavior are linked to the same tag, along with the "faster, stone-less mining" behavior.

Grass, however, shouldn't require soil to grow. Underground moss grows on stone. I don't think plants grow in hell no matter what you do, though. Unless you make mud.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: July 16, 2013, 06:26:02 pm »

From some experimenting just slapping [DEEP_SURFACE] and [DEEP_SPECIAL] on stuff it seems like there's no problem having hell made out of a material defined as soil, but it still won't grow things. In fact it is not soil despite appearing so, as it can still be designated to be smoothed. So you can't make hell have soil that way.

Spires leading to hell, on the other hand, seemingly have to be made of something that has IS_STONE (slapping DEEP_SPECIAL on soil -> ignored, adding it to meteoric iron -> ignored, adding it to meteoric iron and adding is_stone to meteoric iron -> meteoric iron spires).

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: July 16, 2013, 10:54:49 pm »

New tiles and colors... I can't promise they look pretty, but they're not all identical anymore. So... that's good, I guess?

Literally nothing else was changed in v3.4 so if you don't care, don't bother redownloading.
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: July 17, 2013, 11:18:55 am »

PTW

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: July 17, 2013, 12:47:48 pm »

Those water grubs that grow as they age reminded me of sand trouts, but in the Dune universe they eventually grow into one of these.
If your water grubs were able to "go feral", it'd be cool to see them converted into a desert megabeast "Sandworm" that creates labyrinths like minotaurs from vanilla.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: July 17, 2013, 12:54:31 pm »

Sadly, water grubs are a little too small to be dangerous if they go feral - only one kilogram. A shai-hulud would be fun to add, though...
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: July 17, 2013, 04:08:47 pm »

There's also the problem where they don't actually grow properly without DFhack bugfixing.

EDIT: Decided to chronicle my playthrough in version 3.4 of my update to this project of madness, half because I haven't really opened it up since the original minimal version, complete with rave deserts, and half because I don't know if there's anyone up for playing through my stuff, and since the only stuff I added was a single magma-layer creature and a fuckton of inorganics, it's not super spoiler ridden so I'll play through. I was gonna play through for bugtesting and for fun anyways.

So. Embarked on this lovely place....

{PIC_004}

It's classed as badlands, with no trees or shrubs, but I brought enough wood and plants to tough it out. There's a brook in the far north of the map, the embark is 4x4 and straddles two roughly-equal but split biomes, it's listed as having deep soil, aquifers, shallow metal and multiple deep metals. This excites me, because while I haven't unpaused yet, I saw that we're in a sedimentary layer (Kazurot is a sedimentary stone), and the two soils I saw so far were black dirt and red sand, neither of which can have that aquifer mentioned. I'm hoping there's no jaded slade, though... because it means that we might have Oxyline on site. If I can smelt some iridium, I'm gonna be ecstatic.

Embark supplies.... 12 flaxseeds, 12 pumpkin seeds, 10 pumpkins, 5 units of tarnish stalk cloth (BTW, both kinds of cloth exist as "tarnish stalk cloth cloth" and "flax cloth cloth", pretty sure that's unintentional), 3 apple wood buckets, 10 bags of red sand, 5 boulders of lunaniumite, 21 boulders of leylite (because we could embark with it for some reason, and it's dragonfire safe, fuck yeah), and 40 apple wood logs. We also brought a pair of water grubs, three ducks, and a couple pack beetles. I intend on using stone for things that don't need to be wooden, so we should last until we get to the caverns and harvest the wood down there. The brook isn't frozen (although I don't know how the game handles freezing of brooks since there's the invisible brook-floor on top), but the embark was mentioned to be temperate I believe... time to go find that aquifer.

Halfway through the first month... relatively routine hobbit hole preparations. Started working the stone into nest boxes for the ducks, channeled out a few edges of the cliffs to make things look slightly less ugly, started to dig underground. Dropped 1 z-level, hit brown dirt. Probably due to the biome differences. The z-level below has blue dirt, though.... and true to its name, it's soaking wet. We're gonna try to go around it.

Dammit. Dug down, hit horichoko instead of oxyline. This is depressing. Ah well. There are huge deposits of Aeresiumite down here, so that's good. Not weapons grade, but maybe we can trade it for some iridium nuggets. Of course, we can't work the stuff without oxyline in the first place...

At least the blue dirt provides an endless, safe source of drinking water, so we won't die. I'm also gonna set up pumpkin farms nearby, so we won't starve that way either. Yes sirree, hobbit life is a fine life.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 06:52:59 pm by laularukyrumo »

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: July 18, 2013, 07:17:17 am »

Decided to chronicle my playthrough in version 3.4 of my update to this project of madness, half because I haven't really opened it up since the original minimal version, complete with rave deserts, and half because I don't know if there's anyone up for playing through my stuff, and since the only stuff I added was a single magma-layer creature and a fuckton of inorganics, it's not super spoiler ridden so I'll play through. I was gonna play through for bugtesting and for fun anyways.
snip
 (BTW, both kinds of cloth exist as "tarnish stalk cloth cloth" and "flax cloth cloth", pretty sure that's unintentional)
snip

Nice.

Incidentally does anyone want to take the player turn for laula's mod? I'll add the above to the first post as a playtest too if it reaches 2 years, but we should be having the play turn after laula now. First one to call it gets it. I'll also add Spoony Bard's story from StL version as the one for that turn (and will add any continuation episodes in if the formic hive still lives). Thanks.

I'm going to PM sackhead in the meantime.

Also, "cloth cloth" is semi-intentional. It makes it more specific in other contexts. Seemed easier for the reader to have a "flax cloth shirt" (or tarnish stalk cloth shirt) than a "flax shirt" (or tarnish stalk shirt), but I'm not a native speaker so this might be my unfamiliarity with how words are used.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: July 18, 2013, 10:38:51 am »

I'll take a crack at playing Laula's version. Should be fun :)
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 261