Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 493208 times)

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #780 on: July 19, 2013, 08:33:09 pm »

Cool stuff, all. I'm especially happy with everything.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
^ very nicely shows off many differences from vanilla bodies and attacks in one screencap.

Yeah, there have actually been a couple times I've seen people die from blows to the head that didn't involve the brain being punctured.

We currently don't have any fuel for smelting other than food. How about growable fuel that you can farm? Might make it more viable as an alternative to magma even in the long run.

My suggestion: reaction to burn tarnish stalks for fuel, kitchen/kiln/smelter (with kitchen you could make it automatic). Consume 1-5 tarnish stalks, produce charcoal. Also great as a way to get rid of the damn things which seem to be genuinely annoying at times.
YES, I will do this. And I absolutely love how hateable they are, if only they could be detestable.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: July 19, 2013, 10:57:32 pm »

So I down loaded the latest version to start playing and maybe work up to some moding and you know what I learned? bumble bees hate the cold. Like the start with ever part yellow wounded from frost bite. Hopefully the recover because I put a lot of points into my herd (flock?) and I'd hate them to die.

Edit: every part but the eyes.
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: July 19, 2013, 11:23:11 pm »

every part but the eyes.

That's so they can see the cold desperation of their situation and marvel at the lovely patterns of thickening ice on their exoskeleton as winter comes to claim them as its own :D
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: July 19, 2013, 11:30:32 pm »

They got better almost immediately when I got them inside. Which was a relief.

Edit: cruising through the raws I saw that the back half of the wormy body was marked as being a [head] as well as  [LB] is that intentional? Can things with the wormy body plan function if either part is destroyed?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 11:32:54 pm by kopout »
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: July 19, 2013, 11:46:01 pm »

It'll work.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: July 19, 2013, 11:49:21 pm »

That's a mistake on my part, if one without much effect. And here I was, thinking my raws were good now :(

Sadly, the way DF bodies work, bisecting a creature with the wormy body plan would just kill it.

It'll work.

Wait, woah - what? You can bisect a wormy and it will just keep on ticking?  :o Or were you referring to something else entirely?
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: July 19, 2013, 11:54:37 pm »

I ...  think he means that worms that get bisected and don't bleed out keep on ticking. This could change everything! Do both halves keep going or only one? how dose the game decide?

Edit: unless he thought I meant that only the lower body is the head instead of both upper and lower
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 11:56:38 pm by kopout »

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: July 20, 2013, 12:19:30 am »

...if the interior bit of a wormy has a syndrome fluid inside like the steam in the Masterwork "automatons", that creates 2 wormies as a reaction to being let out, you could certainly have fun with exponential wormie progressions that may be fun until you get FPS death.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #788 on: July 20, 2013, 12:24:44 am »

...if the interior bit of a wormy has a syndrome fluid inside like the steam in the Masterwork "automatons", that creates 2 wormies as a reaction to being let out, you could certainly have fun with exponential wormie progressions that may be fun until you get FPS death.
This. I want.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: July 20, 2013, 01:12:32 am »

So our lack of  shallow metals is due to rock types excluding other players metals?

It might be tine for me to dif out my. files for bluesteel
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: July 20, 2013, 01:14:47 am »

Holy shit, that'd be awesome. Doubt it's possible, but I'm still new at this stuff, especially interactions (copy-pasted the vampire reactions from these raws to my own personal raws and somehow broke it irreparably while tweaking).

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: July 20, 2013, 01:37:31 am »

Interactions, man. You def need to learn them. They are the key to making completely new functionality like epidemics or romances or magic projectiles or IFF systems or whatever.

In this case it's going to be a bit convoluted, though. Could be: worms contain syndrome fluid that gives worms syndrome. This syndrome transforms them into a creature that promptly loses a limb, that limb having been connected to it via a limb of material that vanishes at room temperature (not my idea, but I'm too lazy to find & link the original "hoops"), and animates that limb, simultaneously transforming it into a worm part. Then the temporary creature also transforms into a worm part due to the syndrome. Ergo 1 worm bisected -> 2 living worm parts. Or 4 if both bisected parts survive, but I didn't know that was possible.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: July 20, 2013, 01:40:23 am »

Even interactions sometimes don't go far enough. That's where I come in :P

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: July 20, 2013, 03:21:29 am »

well i have done my halfling graphics.

there shirt colour responds to that of the colours for professions on the z menu.
unfortunately i will be away Monday to Thursday (i live in GMT +12:00 so that will be Sunday to wednesday US time)
i will try to get trees' plans and minerals to display nicely with the tile set i am using (obsidians tile set) .
tomorrow mourning i need to finish my comitmint to The luckiest tourist ever succession game. Then tomorrow  afternoon i may add some materials.
Do we have Coal yet?

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: July 20, 2013, 09:10:51 am »

Don't think so. Just charcoal
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 261